The Front Facing Camera

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So, we know that many of the new Mango devices will have a Front Facing Camera.

Am I the only one that likes FFC for pictures or video as opposed to video conferencing?

Any time I see people talk about a FFC, they always do so in the context of calling someone and seeing them on the other side. And while it's cool, I don't see myself doing that very often.

But when I'm out with friends and family, I do like to take pictures. And I do like to actually be in the pictures sometimes.

It's so much easier to take a picture with a FFC because you can actually see if it's framed correctly.

I recently went to a family reunion and most of my family have iPhones. They have some app called Photo Booth or something like that.

We were able to have about 20 of us crowd together and fit into 4 consecutive pictures that are taken with Photo Booth.

Doing that would be such a pain if you couldn't see the screen.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i do agree that its nice so you can see the picture

but the FFC ive seens are at like 1-2MP, gona be kinda crapy... but nice to have.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Not that excited about a FFC on my phone. 3 of my previous phones had FFC's and it was a feature I never used. Tried video calling a couple of times to try it out but it's not really handy looking like a moron staring into your phone in public.

FFC's usually are low res, so photos are a bit poo to be honest, well that's what I found anyway.

Guess some will like it though, so why not. Whatever floats your boat. :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not that excited about a FFC on my phone. 3 of my previous phones had FFC's and it was a feature I never used. Tried video calling a couple of times to try it out but it's not really handy looking like a moron staring into your phone in public.

ive NEVER used it, lol

i even worked in a store and never even demoed it.... now that i think about it... i dont think i ever even sold the service!!! hahaha ( you have to pay for video calling in Canada )

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Have to agree that I'm just not bothered. I've had phones that can do video calling on and off for 8 years or so, and in all that time I've made 3 video calls. It'd be nice to use it for self portrait type shots, but a small mirror on the back would serve the same purpose and mean the "proper" camera could be used.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
It'll be a necesity if you want to use Skype video calling when it arrives, but I don't even use that on my PC although it's available to me.

I think FFC's are way over rated. (IMO) :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
but a small mirror on the back would serve the same purpose

your coming from a WEBOS arnt yeah?? lol that was one thing i like about my Pre, first phones that did it.

It'll be a necesity if you want to use Skype video calling when it arrives, but I don't even use that on my PC although it's available to me.

I think FFC's are way over rated. (IMO) :)

yeah way to over rated lol, the hype vs the actual USE of it is ridicules. and i had completely forgot about SKYPE lol i only see my self using Skype while playing games on my pc doh to be honest :p

witch will be nice int he future with the eco system + Xbox/phone Bluetooth

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Looking forward to FFC for Skype. I have a couple international contacts I talk to regulary on Skype. Video chat is free compared to purchasing long distance minutes.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Looking forward to FFC for Skype. I have a couple international contacts I talk to regulary on Skype. Video chat is free compared to purchasing long distance minutes.

yeah but its gona KILL your data. :p if you video call... but hey altease you can use skype with out video :) to save on data when you have too.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
yeah but its gona KILL your data. :p if you video call... but hey altease you can use skype with out video :) to save on data when you have too.

No more than watching Netflix, using SmartDJ, or watching YouTube. It's not like I'm going to talk to them for hours on end, everyday. It's just a replacement for voice calls. Plus, as it is now using all the above regularly, I barely even go over 1GB. Most months I average around 700mb. So I don't think there is much danger of going over. In fact, 6 months ago, I actually downgraded my grandfathered "umlimited" data to 2GB to save $5.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
your lucky!! maybe its just me ,, im doing over 3g+ a month on my phone .. stupid 500$++ bills :S i had to have my plan changed to a 6G plan LOL...
i think ALL the apps i have use RRS feeds+ location on the fastes update settings... i thik i do 1G just from having location enable lol.

i really need to put my WP on my Unlimited free DEMO plan ( from work )

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, seeing that Tango is cross platform. I can see myself giving video chat another shot. But it is a great tool for taking photos.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Damn! Try using your wifi sometimes. I leave my wifi on. Plenty of free hotspots all over town (at least all the places I've lived at). An increaseing number of malls, restaurants, fast food joints bookstores, coffee shops are jumping in on the free hotspot bandwagon. It helps that ATT is the one pushing them too.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't mind having the option to try it. I work shift work and I wouldn't mind being able to video chat with my kid when I'm at work on nights and weekends. I don't get to see him as much since he started school. But then again it might be a useless feature. I do think for most people they are overrated.

SirHaxalot

May 7, 2011
www.wp7board.com
I don't know anyone that ever have really used video calling on their cell phone other than that they've tried it out once in a while while it was a cool now feature, back in the days when 3G was new tech and nobody had heard about a Smartphone.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
A FFC is just something nice to have. It doesn't come in handy every day, but I'd use it enough that I'd like to have the option on my next phone. I feel the same way about DLNA and NFC, though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium