Yet another help request on exchange/email

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have a HTC Thunderbolt but REALLY want to move to WP7. I just forced a HTC Trophy on my wife the other day (she was reluctant since it doesn't have a physical keyboard), and it turns out she is really loving it (coming from a Pre/Original Droid). She can't get over how responsive it is - it just works! Imagine that. Since we're both on Verizon the Trophy would be my only option, though I'm hoping a 4G phone will come at some point.

I work for a bank and our systems are, as you can imagine, very locked down. The bank officially supports Blackberry or Android/iPhone by way of the Good Technology app (Good Technology). I understand Good is working on a WP7 offering that should be ready in Q4, however I was wondering whether I really need to wait for that.

I am almost positive I will get zero support from IT for trying to utilize a WP7 device directly w/ exchange since we have the options listed above. We do have outlook web, and when setting up my wife's phone I saw there was a section for that....

The crux of my question is whether it should absolutely be possible for me to get email & calendar (and in a perfect world tasks) up and running without the assistance of my IT department or whether it's likely necessary since we're so locked down. I don't know what version of Exchange we're running (can I see that from my Outlook client?), but thought I'd ask you experts for opinons.

Thanks for any help.

UpTownDC

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Find out the following for me to help you out"
1. What version of Exchange server 2000, 2003, 2007 or 2010
2. The name of the Exchange server "EX01" something like that
If they are using Exchange 2003 or earlier they need to have "active sync" installed

braindoc

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Since your wife already has a Trophy just try to connect to your exchange account at the bank using her phone. Just type in your user ID and password and see if the phone connects.

Reactions: VernonEL

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently have a HTC Thunderbolt but REALLY want to move to WP7. I just forced a HTC Trophy on my wife the other day (she was reluctant since it doesn't have a physical keyboard), and it turns out she is really loving it (coming from a Pre/Original Droid). She can't get over how responsive it is - it just works! Imagine that. Since we're both on Verizon the Trophy would be my only option, though I'm hoping a 4G phone will come at some point.

I work for a bank and our systems are, as you can imagine, very locked down. The bank officially supports Blackberry or Android/iPhone by way of the Good Technology app (Good Technology). I understand Good is working on a WP7 offering that should be ready in Q4, however I was wondering whether I really need to wait for that.

I am almost positive I will get zero support from IT for trying to utilize a WP7 device directly w/ exchange since we have the options listed above. We do have outlook web, and when setting up my wife's phone I saw there was a section for that....

The crux of my question is whether it should absolutely be possible for me to get email & calendar (and in a perfect world tasks) up and running without the assistance of my IT department or whether it's likely necessary since we're so locked down. I don't know what version of Exchange we're running (can I see that from my Outlook client?), but thought I'd ask you experts for opinons.

Thanks for any help.

The Exchange setup in WP7 is so easy a 2yo can set it up. All you need to do is enter your email address and password and the Email client will ping your exchange server to get all the settings and policies necessary for you to continue.

that's it.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thank you all - I've been on vacation since Thursday night and just got back to this thread. I'll give it a whirl with her phone when I get home. If it doesn't work I'll report back w/ specifics about our exchange servers, etc.

[Edit] One more comment. The only way for me to use Outlook is through our VPN (without the VPN Outlook won't work). Does that change whether it should just work by entering an email address and password (I would think so). As I mentioned before, outlook web does work. In any case I'll try when I get home, and if it doesn't work I'll try to determine what version of Exchange we are running.

Last edited:

bruceatk2

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
If your company wants encryption then you will be out of luck. WP7 doesn't support it (android and iPhone do). I didn't realize that until I tried to connect my Trophy last Fri.

Bruce

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)