Thinkin of jumping to WP7

leviathan18

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a huge Nokia fan for the last 15 years I've had only Nokia phones until the N900 with Maemo 5, now for some personal reasons I'm using a blackberry with OS 5 which is killing me.

I love the email and instant messaging features of the BB, but the rest of the OS sux.

So now that nokia is jumping to WP7 which I must say (love the metro style) look very interesting and powerful I'm thinking about getting a WP7 phone.

right now I can't decide if I wait for Nokia or I get the dell venue pro.

My needs are like this:

Physical Keyboard, I hate touch screen keyboards.
somewhat good camera, I have my dslr for pictures, but for some random pictures I want a decent camera.
good processing speed.
3G bands ( quad band, peta band) hspa+ lte is not a bad idea
stylish (the N900 is fugly)
unlocked
wifi
micro usb charging
upgrade-able to mango or mango
micro sd
nfc
front facing camera

any recommendation besides the unknown nokia phones (they are taking too longo to show them) and the dell venue pro which looks nice and its cheap. I'm open minded to other makers

Tee

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
That was what I was thinking about onscreen keyboard too, until I actually tried it on a real Windows Phone. Now I'm typing on it faster than I could on a hard keyboard. WP has the best on screen keyboard, just get device with 4+ in screen and you will forget about hard keyboard in no time.

The Samsung Focus/Omnia 7 has the best quality picture on any WP I have tried so far. HTC is far the worse when it comes to camera.

None of the phone currently has front facing camera, so you should wait a month when providers release new phones. They will come with Mango on board so that's no problem.

Personally, I imported an Omnia 7 and it works fine on ATT.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I second the unlocked Omnia 7 if you're on AT&T. Venue Pro is also damn good, except the camera is supposed to be lousy. Definitely try out WP7's software keyboard before you insist on a physical keyboard. After switching from Palm Pre to the Evo 4G and using that for 8 months, I swore I would never buy a smartphone without a keyboard again. But WP7 convinced me otherwise.

Do unlocked European GSM phones support HSPA+ in the USA? You may only be able to use them on 3G. Where are you and what carrier are you on?

Nokia World is October 26-27; they are almost certainly revealing their Windows phones then. You might want to wait.

Other options: Samsung supposedly has a portrait slider WP7 coming, but there are no firm details yet. HTC Titan supposedly has a greatly improved camera compared to their earlier phones so you might want to wait for that. It's also the most powerful WP7 with its 1.5 GHz second-gen Snapdragon (all of the current Windows phones use the 1 GHz 1st-gen Snapdragon).

leviathan18

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm Venezuelan but I live in Panama city, Panama. I'm not 100% sure which are the mhz bands they use over here but they are touting hspa+ as "4g"

My N900 doesnt get 3G signal so I can infer they are using 850mhz for 3G but I will have to check other carriers

I will try to see if anyone here in Panama carries windows phone 7 to give it a test drive to the keyboard

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle