My Mango Update Experience Was Good - Post Here

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
How was my update experience? Well I'm glad you asked...Here's how it went:

I got home from a long day at work and turned the TV on to watch a baseball game(Atlanta and Philly). After an unsuccessful attempt Tuesday I decided to try updating again.

Powered up the HP and went to pour myself a glass of Scotch while said laptop was booting. Connected my phone and brought up the instructions for forcing Mango. Followed the first couple of steps and viola!!...there's an update available(yay!)

As the update is going through the process I decided to watch the movies i got from Netflix today....pop in Thor(hammer!! hammer!!) and refill my glass(mmm...Scotch)

Once I was done with the first update the phone rebooted and lo and behold there's another update(yeah boyeeee!!).....now it's Mango time!!

Another reboot and I was official...had 7720 on my HTC Arrive...I'm feeling good right now(Mango and scotch...a great combination..lol). I check a couple of things and decide to just relax and finish watching my movie. I'll get into more Mango action the next day....

In my best Dave Chappelle imitation....I'm Mangoed beotch!!

at this time I'd like to dedicate a song to IOS and Android...Amazon.com: For Doz That Slept [Explicit]: Black Sheep: MP3 Downloads
:lol:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My first real experience with Mango today.

I was taking art class in college using a picture I took as reference and while the paint was drying I decided to take another picture.

Hold the camera button, took the picture quickly with a touch of the screen, no sound to distract my fellow students, tagged my best friend and uploaded the picture.

The music that was playing was pretty cool so I press the bing button, bing music, waited a couple of seconds and done.

Press the home button and I had a notification on the me tile, my friend responded my picture, I posted back. Hold the back button and was on my reference picture again.

No apps, just Mango.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
TMobile
Dell Venue Pro
Mango

wife
HTC Arrive
Sprint
Mango

Both our installs went perfect
our only problem is after some of the reboots it would say something like checking for free space for awhile but all we did was we cancled there and did a recheck for udates and it worked fine..
its awesome..

addicusbrown

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I had a great upgrade experience on my HD2 running the 7720 RTM Mango release. The upgrade took about 10 minutes. I first experienced an error on step 5. I only had to disconnect the phone and reboot it and the pc then start over. Easy!!!!

I really don't see a difference but that isn't a bad thing as Windows Phone Mango is a great OS that simply works with the basics for a great phone experience integrated straight out the box. My wife's HD2 blanked out on us and TMobile is out of stock so she had to get a LG G2X two days for a replacement. The hardware is great but the software of Android (2.3) just isn't up to par starting with the interface, contact integration, group messaging out of the box, messaging in general and calendar usage. Thank you Windows for stepping up your game and giving my HD2 life again!

ButtonedRC

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Forced the upgrade. Took a couple tries but after doing 3 different updates (had to go to 7392 as well) and an hour of watching a screen and multiple reboots later I was ready with Mango. Worked rather seemlessly.

* Didn't really watch the screen I played Gears of War 3 the entire time it was updating *

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Forced the upgrade. Took a couple tries but after doing 3 different updates (had to go to 7392 as well) and an hour of watching a screen and multiple reboots later I was ready with Mango. Worked rather seemlessly.

* Didn't really watch the screen I played Gears of War 3 the entire time it was updating *

it was probably best not watching. I did and there was a time when I was watching on the second and third updates that the arooww pointing from the computer icon and the phone had a red circle and line through it iy was probably a warning not to use the phone but I thought at the time that the update was not installing on the phone. The progress bar at the top of the phone scren kept moving (at times veeeeeeeery slooooooowly!)

liaoliaoinchina

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
My Experience with Windows Phone Mango

1-Carrier ? China Mobile, Unlocked Windows Phone
2-Phone Model ? Dell Venue Pro :) :)
3- I just received my Pro a few weeks back. I'm a WebOS Refugee. The OS was great but I felt some great limitations that I knew that Mango was going to address. When Mango officially came out, I forced the update through Zune. Mango is great. I'm loving the ability to use Messenger with all my friends (MSN is widespread at my school), and switching back to texting. Multi-tasking is rubbish compared to WebOS though. I think that area needs significant work. I understand that fast-app switching is necessary for good battery life, but the fast app-switching isn't fast at the moment. It's very clunky, and needs work. A way to kill apps similar to the swipe away method in WebOS is needed. Overall Mango has been amazing, and it's really brought the experience of Windows Phone to another level.

dxstrikesback

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
apps intallation?

Worked perfectly. I had to trick it to update, no biggy at all though!

Samsung Focus rev1.3
AT&T

Even I could update Samsung Focus v1.3 with the trick. But after, i am unable to install apps from the marketplace. My wi-fi connection is working fine and able to browse using IE.
Is marketplace working for u after mango update?

Chrisobo

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Just finished downloading the update and its awesome. First i saved space and the speed it overwhelming, a lot of improvement. Now i'm proud to tell other os to shut da **** up

ejlee072006

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
My update was a bit weird experience.. I got the mango at launch date, then yesterday my phone hd7 stop working..!!! Pulled the battery a million times it won't restart, I tried to plug to Zune!!! Zune won't recognize my phone.. Then after a million times, and different combinations!! Zune all of a sudden said my phone will be rolled back to nodo, I just let it rolled my phone back to nodo.. Then it updated again to mango... I think it has something to do with the first update mango.. Cuz I noticed after the second mango my phone was faster smoother.. I think this was because i tricked mobile with nodo update.. I will never again trick it hack anything... I was out of phone for almost 5hours.. .. My phone is running so smoothly now..

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
My update was a bit weird experience.. I got the mango at launch date, then yesterday my phone hd7 stop working..!!! Pulled the battery a million times it won't restart, I tried to plug to Zune!!! Zune won't recognize my phone.. Then after a million times, and different combinations!! Zune all of a sudden said my phone will be rolled back to nodo, I just let it rolled my phone back to nodo.. Then it updated again to mango... I think it has something to do with the first update mango.. Cuz I noticed after the second mango my phone was faster smoother.. I think this was because i tricked mobile with nodo update.. I will never again trick it hack anything... I was out of phone for almost 5hours.. .. My phone is running so smoothly now..

Aw man that's scary thank God nothing worse happen.

anon(5329748)

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I forced the update on my wife's Samsung Focus using the network disconnect trick.

Update went okay. Used the phone for a few days with no issues. However, I was playing with it Friday night to see what was new and different, and I decided to restart the phone to see how long it takes to boot. It never did reboot. It would show the Samsung logo for several seconds, then flash off, only to repeat this process over and over.

I contacted AT&T device support and they kept asking if I installed any new apps in the past 14 days. Not sure what that would have to do with it, but the long and short of it is that they are sending her a replacement phone. This is her second Focus, as the first one had microphone and touchscreen issues.

I attribute this to bad flash memory on the phone.

vandaL'

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
So for almost a week I've been trying to force the mango update, tried everything [Timing, data on, wifi off, airplane mode, Etc.] Today i said, screw it! Hard reset the phone, after it automatically booted up i connected it to my PC, opened Zune did the force update hack and than i got it! All i can say now is

Epic update! , Update is Epic!!!

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
After a frustrating few days without mango (the force trick doesn't work on a mac), I borrowed another mac that was running Windows under VMWare Fusion, installed Zune and, on my very first attempt, it worked.

The twitter integration is just ace for the most part. It seems far more natural than using a separate app. I wish I could chose an image host, though, but that is really down to wanting other twitter apps on other platforms to be able to have inline viewing of images in their app's timeline. Hopefully other platforms and apps will start supporting windows live as a host soon.

The whole "less apps more hubs" approach is a real and intelligent improvement over iOS and that other nasty data gathering thing Google flings together ;)

My fear was that over time Windows Phone would slip back to the old Microsoft way of doing things (ribbon UI indeed!) but it hasn't, and is still a lovely, smooth, beautifully designed and friendly experience.

Well done Microsot, seriously well done. And thats from a die-hard mac and iPad person!

Last edited:

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm on an HD2. The first attempt at installing Mango didn't go well. Installed each update from 7004 via Web Sender. Took forever. When I finally got 7720 installed, it would freeze upon the first tile display. I figured it was the 8 GB Sandisk card (which is now hopelessly locked). I started all over again with a 16 GB Sandisk Class 2, this time used the 7704->7720 one shot and things are good.

But the battery life is *horrendous*. It drains like 50% in an hour listening to a streamed podcast at the gym. And over night it drains about 60% as well. No push email. Location off. Something is obviously messed up. I'll have to look into that. When running Android on this phone it runs all day and then some.

Does any know if I activate this HD2 on a certain Windows Live ID, I'll be able to re-use that ID on a new REAL WP7 phone if I get one in a few weeks?

Last edited:

Rocko13

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Windows phone 7.5 official Mango update @ India

Hey Guys,

I had just got my Focus on Monday (10th Oct), and 12th Oct was the official Mango day here in India (Mango update, new WP7 phones, Marketplace/xbox live access, etc..). I was very eager to get the taste of Mango and since it was just a couple of days away.

First up - I got the update available notification on my phone, on the 11th and I thought it was the Mango being delivered one day early. But it turned out to be only the first WP7 update, 7008.

Today I got the update availabe notification once again on my phone (after waiting patiently for 4 days). Got the updates one by one (4 times) consecutively. The had to do the final 7.5 update the second time, cos it had failed in the first attempt saying it failed to installed the BRI (sorry, forgot the error code).

Enjoying the goodness of Mango....!! Cheers!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss