Too much love for AT&T

dvigilante1

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Balmer says that sells of WP7 phones have been lower than expected. Well Mr.Balmer the problem could be that all the good WP7 phones are on AT&T which seems to get all the new phones from everybody.

Something tells me if sales were slow for a carrier with 5 WP7 devices you would think somebody would make sure the other carriers have more than one. Nope. AT&T gets 3 more new phones. Sprint and Verizon have one each and it's the exact same phone. I was waiting for WP7 to release 4" phone on sprint but that doesn't look that's going to happen anytime soon. I just don't get all the love AT&T gets. Yeah there big etc but if Wp7 is already there why release a whole new batch of phones. Isn't that like insanity?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Uh, I think it's the Carriers that negotiate with the OEMs for new phone releases, so while Microsoft may help or encourage Carriers to sell WP devices, they don't make those decisions. Sprint and Verizon won't add more devices till they have more confidence in the platform. But I do believe that Nokia will offer them a deal they cant refuse in a few months. Better says ahead indeed.

Btw, releasing a new phone every month or two is not a profitable model for OEMs or Carriers, so don't expect to see that with WP. Maybe every 6 months though.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Yep, it's pretty much up to the carriers which phones they sell. MS can't force anyone to carry their devices. What needs to happen is the marketing needs to get better to create more demand to give the other carriers more incentive to stock them.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I read where MS was hiring and training employees to go to carrier stores and work the stores for windows phone sales and training employees of the carriers to hype and work on selling the devices If thats true thats a step in the right direction and one I wish they had sooner but better late than too late

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
MS isnt the one that negotiates with the carriers, the manufacturers do. Doesnt matter if MS wants 10 handsets on verizon, the phone manufacturers (HTC, Samsung, LG, Nokia) have to make it and sell them to Verizon. There is also the fact that AT&T is gsm, and so will also have more phones available to them

Peter McCain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I am really liking the Samsung Focus S.. but the Data plans are bad.. I usually use 1.5-1.8 gb of data in Sprint. but if i had a Wp7 device right now, I would definitely use the Zune pass. How much data would be pulled if i used the Zune pass like 1 hr a day?

rebel_yell

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
For AT&T, WP7 = Penny Stock

Until yesterday, I knew nothing about WP7. Didn't care to know about it. I was completely disinterested. I have a BB 9700 and have been waiting impatiently for AT&T to release the BB 9900 and make it my next phone. I've read analyst's reports that WP7 will outsell all other smart phone OS's in 3 years. My initial reaction? "Yeah, right." All I knew about Windows phones were the photos I saw of the really big buttons on the screen that looked rather sophomoric to me. I owned a Motorola Atrix for one month and sent it back. I bought a Samsung Captivate for my wife and Grandson and thought I wanted one too. Then I wanted the Samsung Infuse. Then I wanted a Galaxy S II. I went back to my BB 9700 and found that my slow and low memory addled device gave me a better all around experience than any of those phones. Yesterday, out of boredom, I decided to take a look at what WP7 was all about. The first YouTube video I found was of a MS spokesperson demonstrating Mango to a crowd of people much like I've seen Steve Jobs do the same for the iPhone crowd. After watching barely a minute or two I was hypnotized. This is NOTHING like any phone on the market. This is nothing short of groundbreaking. This is nothing short of revolutionary. This is mind blowing. This is going to be my next phone. My snap conclusion for the reason that AT&T is stocking up on WP7 phones is because when the word gets out, they will make a killing. WP7 is like a penny stock for an unknown company that makes a product that millions of people don't know they need - yet. As soon as they find out about it, that stock will suddenly go through the roof and those investors who were savvy enough to buy up thousands of shares when it was only a penny....
Well, if the justice department wants to block the AT&T - T-Mobile merger, AT&T can just buy the Justice Department with all of the money they make.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Until yesterday, I knew nothing about WP7. Didn't care to know about it. I was completely disinterested. I have a BB 9700 and have been waiting impatiently for AT&T to release the BB 9900 and make it my next phone. I've read analyst's reports that WP7 will outsell all other smart phone OS's in 3 years. My initial reaction? "Yeah, right." All I knew about Windows phones were the photos I saw of the really big buttons on the screen that looked rather sophomoric to me. I owned a Motorola Atrix for one month and sent it back. I bought a Samsung Captivate for my wife and Grandson and thought I wanted one too. Then I wanted the Samsung Infuse. Then I wanted a Galaxy S II. I went back to my BB 9700 and found that my slow and low memory addled device gave me a better all around experience than any of those phones. Yesterday, out of boredom, I decided to take a look at what WP7 was all about. The first YouTube video I found was of a MS spokesperson demonstrating Mango to a crowd of people much like I've seen Steve Jobs do the same for the iPhone crowd. After watching barely a minute or two I was hypnotized. This is NOTHING like any phone on the market. This is nothing short of groundbreaking. This is nothing short of revolutionary. This is mind blowing. This is going to be my next phone. My snap conclusion for the reason that AT&T is stocking up on WP7 phones is because when the word gets out, they will make a killing. WP7 is like a penny stock for an unknown company that makes a product that millions of people don't know they need - yet. As soon as they find out about it, that stock will suddenly go through the roof and those investors who were savvy enough to buy up thousands of shares when it was only a penny....
Well, if the justice department wants to block the AT&T - T-Mobile merger, AT&T can just buy the Justice Department with all of the money they make.

*claps*

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Ginormous Smile

until yesterday, i knew nothing about wp7. Didn't care to know about it. I was completely disinterested. I have a bb 9700 and have been waiting impatiently for at&t to release the bb 9900 and make it my next phone. I've read analyst's reports that wp7 will outsell all other smart phone os's in 3 years. My initial reaction? "yeah, right." all i knew about windows phones were the photos i saw of the really big buttons on the screen that looked rather sophomoric to me. I owned a motorola atrix for one month and sent it back. I bought a samsung captivate for my wife and grandson and thought i wanted one too. Then i wanted the samsung infuse. Then i wanted a galaxy s ii. I went back to my bb 9700 and found that my slow and low memory addled device gave me a better all around experience than any of those phones. Yesterday, out of boredom, i decided to take a look at what wp7 was all about. The first youtube video i found was of a ms spokesperson demonstrating mango to a crowd of people much like i've seen steve jobs do the same for the iphone crowd. After watching barely a minute or two i was hypnotized. This is nothing like any phone on the market. This is nothing short of groundbreaking. This is nothing short of revolutionary. This is mind blowing. This is going to be my next phone. My snap conclusion for the reason that at&t is stocking up on wp7 phones is because when the word gets out, they will make a killing. Wp7 is like a penny stock for an unknown company that makes a product that millions of people don't know they need - yet. As soon as they find out about it, that stock will suddenly go through the roof and those investors who were savvy enough to buy up thousands of shares when it was only a penny....
Well, if the justice department wants to block the at&t - t-mobile merger, at&t can just buy the justice department with all of the money they make.
:d

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa