Trick your phone to update to Mango!!!

kindongo

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have 2 Focus, i was able to forced the update in one of them, but the other is giving me the fallowing error code: 80180048. Does any one knows what this mean? I went to the WP support page and that error code is not there. thank you

B3TST3R

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Success!

This trick work perfectly for me, turning off my wireless connection worked first time, the only problem I had is that for some reason when the main Mango update was updating it kept dropping the wireless connection (which it never does normally) and cancelled the download with an error code, after a couple of times I plug it into my router via an ethernet cable hey presto my HTC Mozart is gleaming with Mango goodness! :D

gator

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Is this MANGO??

I finally was successful at using the "trick". I updated twice and my settings are:
Samsung Focus
Firmware: 2103.11.8.1
Hardware: 3.1.0.7

Is this MANGO???

Charlesgonz

Jan 7, 2005
Visit site
Error 80072FA8

I was getting an error every time I would try to do the update trick. I was getting 80072FA8. I went to the backup I had on the Zune which brought me back to the old version. Updated to NoDo. Then I was able to do the Trick to Mango. Worked on the first try. Heck ya! Finally I'm good to go

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I JUST DONT GET IT. Its like my phone wont use the software to update, it will grab info form the phone EVERY TIME. So even if i kill my internet connection, It will just use data or wifi and still give me an "your phone is up to date" message.

If i turn off wifi or data or grab updates from data option, I just get " cannot search for updates at this time" Its like the update feature is not using my computers internet to grab the update, just my phone.

WHAT THE HECK COULD I BE DOING WRONG? its been 5 days and everyone I know with an arrive has gotten the update OTA or forced it. Im like the only one....

uppercasemad

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I didn't use these methods since my computer is far away from my router.

But I think I did manage to trick my computer.

Normally I charge my phone using the wall charger, but as I just got an awesome new USB port (it looks like the TARDIS) I decided to switch it up and charge it via USB instead.

As soon as I plugged it into my computer, it started updating. :3 It was quite a nice surprise.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
you can try I was using wireless internet on my lapyop and turned off data and turned on wifi and both off etc no luck worked first or second time with ethernet unplugging. I know the trick works I dont really know how it works I think that its a crap shoot on the timing of severing the internet connectionand then waiting o see update available once you got that it progressing through the 3 updates for the focus 1.3 . Patience is called for. Patience is the toughest part once it starts.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Honestly, I think that trick will only works if you're in the current update batch. All you guys are doing is forcing the notification.

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I think that trick will only works if you're in the current update batch. All you guys are doing is forcing the notification.
It definitly works for people not in the update batch, theres a bunch of people in europe not scheduled to get updates for at least a few days to a few weeks and have it.

I just got mine to work now. I had to turn wifi on the phone off and not my internet connection(data stayed off as well), I didnt even have to turn the wifi back on as the computer downloaded all the data instead, which i couldn't get it to do before.. Why did mine have to be all backwards :(

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
It definitly works for people not in the update batch, theres a bunch of people in europe not scheduled to get updates for at least a few days to a few weeks and have it.

I just got mine to work now. I had to turn wifi on the phone off and not my internet connection(data stayed off as well), I didnt even have to turn the wifi back on as the computer downloaded all the data instead, which i couldn't get it to do before.. Why did mine have to be all backwards :(

Thank you for clarifying! Maybe my timing was off or I'm just not as ninja as I thought. So I figured I'd just go back to beta and get the notification that way, since I'm pro at doing it now! lol

strictlystyles

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for clarifying! Maybe my timing was off or I'm just not as ninja as I thought. So I figured I'd just go back to beta and get the notification that way, since I'm pro at doing it now! lol

yea to be honest, ive seen about 7 different methods of getting this to work and i think you may have to try them all really. If you have to try hundreds of times you should probably try a diff method.

the basic method is with everything on, unplug the net connection while using zune, but mine wasn't fooled by that, so i had to turn off data then shut off phone wifi when i pressed update, and that worked. Other people have different things they had to do to get it to work. I think its safe to say every method isnt for everyone. i think we should put up a list of different methods.

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

Also
billcox
FAQ: When eager #wp7 users "cut in line" for the Mango update, your wait doesn't get longer. We just add capacity automagically.

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
@Dagolara nice! So by me cutting in line, capacity has increased, eliminating the bottleneck. So in theory, the rollout should go faster and smoother now, thanks to me and other eager beavers? :p

DarkFears

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok so my update experience lasted about 13 hours. I tried everything I read, this is what worked for me. If your having problems and have tried everything, try this once more!

Phone: Samsung focus v1.3
Carrier: AT&T

Updating from 7290

1. Uninstall Zune
2. Re-install Zune
3. Allow windows to install ALL drivers first before doing anything else
4. Load up Zune with phone connected via USB cable
5. Go to phone tab
6. Click sync options or relationship (it will actually ask you to enter the phone name first, name it whatever u want)
7. Click sync options again

AT THIS POINT BE PREPARED! SOME PEOPLE ARE SAYING GO AHEAD AND CLICK THE UPDATE TAB AND SEE IF IT LETS YOU UPDATE WITHOUT TRICK. DONT DO IT! BEFORE YOU CLICK THE UPDATE TAB HAVE YOUR HAND READY TO PULL OUT YOUR NETWORK CABLE FROM YOUR PC.

8. Click update and wait until the status bar goes all the way acrossed and stops, pull out cable immediately!
9. Wait! If it tells you it couldn't connect to check update, repeat step 8 but wait a half second longer to pull the cable out and disconnect from the internet.
10. When it tells you to update plug the cable back in wait about 15 seconds and click update.

I think the key for some people may be uninstalling and re installing Zune. I tried a million combinations etc etc. I am not exaggerating on how long I spent trying to figure this out and make it work.

Also take note that the update process is lengthy, sometimes it doesn't seem to be doing anything, just be patient. Also my Zune client got "stuck" on step 6 several times, and also on step 8 ( both restarting phone steps) if it gets stuck on 6 for more than about 30 minutes you will have to restart Zune and try the process again. It took several times before it cleared this step. If it gets stuck on step 8 don't worry, the update has already installed. Just restart Zune and move on to next update.

Be patient! I thought it was bs until i uninstalled Zune and gave it a fresh start. Some people are saying as soon as you click update to yank your internet connection, but this also didnt work for me, it only worked after the little multi colored status bar was complete for about 1/2 - 1 second and then disconnecting.

Good luck, maybe this will help someone else. =D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett