Question about Mango and existing Apps

jblank

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The apps we have on our phones, do we have to re-download them to get the more "Mango-fied" versions or do they automatically update?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If you view the apps on the marketplace as if you were going to download them, it will say there's an update.

Update indications will appear eventually on the Marketplace tile for them, but it's not always immediate. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah try revisiting your apps in the Marketplace or turn your phone off and back on again, that sometimes makes an app check speed up. :)

jblank

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
If you view the apps on the marketplace as if you were going to download them, it will say there's an update.

Update indications will appear eventually on the Marketplace tile for them, but it's not always immediate. :)

Really? Doesn't the WPCentral app have Mango features though? I went to the M-place and don't get any prompts to update it though.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The latest version does yes, but you have to have Mango installed or it won't prompt you for an update.

You'll get an update prompt eventually, if you can't wait just uninstall and redownload.

(Bit drastic, but if your impatient) :)

jblank

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Oh ok.....well I'm givin' it the ol' reboot right now. Thanks for the info, others probably curious about this also. :)

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
The latest version does yes, but you have to have Mango installed or it won't prompt you for an update.

You'll get an update prompt eventually, if you can't wait just uninstall and redownload.

(Bit drastic, but if your impatient) :)

No need to do that, just force an update. Navigate to the app and it will say share, back arrow, then click the app again and it will say update if there is one.

Res215dg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been browsing through existing apps on my phone and same situation here- I'm sure the update notifications will eventually be pushed, or just force update them as described above :)

PaulWegs

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Another way to easily do this is to browse for the app on the new browser marketplace
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace

If you are logged in, it recognises that your phone already has the app installed, and gives you a button to reinstall, which pushes a trigger to your phone to automatically re-download and re-install the app.

I've tried it with a few so far and they have worked no problems.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I was coming in here to check on this too. Updated to Mango, did a price scan and used eBay to find the item. It said I needed to install the eBay app. I clicked install, even though I thought I already had it, hoping it would just update the first install. Now I have two eBay apps sitting side by side in the app menu.

Turning the phone off, then on, did the trick for me. I now have 17 updates to perform

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I did the trick and got Mango yesterday. I have turned my phone off a couple of times as well. However, the marketplace is not showing me that I have any app updates. But I know that can't be right because I went in and manually searched for WPCentral and ...I'm a WP7 and manually updated those... hope its not a bug...

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I did the trick and got Mango yesterday. I have turned my phone off a couple of times as well. However, the marketplace is not showing me that I have any app updates. But I know that can't be right because I went in and manually searched for WPCentral and ...I'm a WP7 and manually updated those... hope its not a bug...

It took awhile for me but overnight they appeared, I'm sure they show up in due time.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I installed last night and noticed a notification for 6 updates about mid-morning. I didn't pay attention to which apps they were. I had guessed that system -or pre-loaded apps may have been updated through the installation and that only 3rd-party apps would require updating. I thought that uninstalled ATT apps, for instance, may have been re-loaded, but they were not.

We did lose the screen shots and reviews in the Marketplace app listings -right? I'm not sure how much I'll miss them, but I do like the speed of loads without them, and especially the highly expedited downloads and installs. I also like that the Free listings are now in the second column, ahead of the New. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99