Mango How To's and other tricks

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I found that if you select "shuffle background" in pictures, the picture tile on the home screen cycles through all of the pictures that you've added to favorites. Also you can pin your favorites album to the home screen. One thing I noticed after mango: the picture I used as a background for pictures became a live tile and it would scroll up and down in the tile. But it just suddenly stopped and its just a static picture again. Do I need to do something in menu/settings to make it live again?

I didn't knew it was only the favorites album. I added some cool pictures there :)

DaMoFoMan

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I still have yet to see how to have my texts read to me.

go to settings, then speech, then check 'enable speech recognition over the net work', then turn 'play audio confirmations' on, then you can select a means in which to have your messages read to you! (you may have to scroll up little to see the option window. Tap it to see all the options. mine is 'always on'.) I love this feature. Sooo handy.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have alot of different genres of music, so I created playlists specific to those genres. I would love to be able to shuffle the songs in my playlists, but there's only an option to shuffle all the songs on the entire phone. The only thing I found in playlists that comes close to shuffle is smart DJ. But it's not very smart, as it plays alot of songs by the same artist in a row, and only shuffles between 2 or 3 albums instead of everything in the playlist. ...so to answer your question, one specific playlist.

Last edited:

markk308

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
The Tellme/Voice to test feature is quite awesome. I use it all the time. In their word database they added:

Spoke these and they came out perfectly. Try it! I impressed my friends.

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
&
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Windows Winner

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The Tellme/Voice to test feature is quite awesome. I use it all the time. In their word database they added:

Spoke these and they came out perfectly. Try it! I impressed my friends.

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
&
How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

Yes, TELLME has a big future and I'm looking forward to the MS verses APPLE contest to see who the consumer votes as having the best AI on a device!! Watch out, SIRI.

Microsoft Tellme speech innovation

Microsoft Tellme Pressroom: Video Gallery

Last edited:

martin_strahilovski

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm still not quite sure how to close out apps. Help?

I was wondering this also? Using webOS on my touchpad its very easy to close apps in the card menu. I have yet to figure it out in WP7. I think you have to actually goto the screen you want to close and hut back. But if its say IEXPLORER, you will have to keep hitting back until you run through all the pages you viewed. I would love a dedicated on screen exit button for apps in WP7.

After some time, the applications turn off by it self. No need to hit back button, especially if the application is blocked or crashed :)

captaineye

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
having problems - since mango update when ever i write a text or message the phone will put u and r as capitals so if write a message like how r u ? it will put it as how R U ? which is annoying as it looks like im shouting. Is there any way to switch this off or fix it???

sychosis

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Found the answer to my own question....in case anyone is interested as this activated itself with the Mango update and I had no idea it existed to begin with!

To turn on Speech for accessibility, tap Settings > Ease of access, and then turn on Speech for phone accessibility. This enables the following:

?
Talking caller ID for phone calls. When you get a call, your phone will announce the name or number of the caller

I have a Mozart, and can't switch this on.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
having problems - since mango update when ever i write a text or message the phone will put u and r as capitals so if write a message like how r u ? it will put it as how R U ? which is annoying as it looks like im shouting. Is there any way to switch this off or fix it???

Learn to type like a real person? :p

After you type any word though, if it corrects it you can click on that word and one of the suggestions is what you typed in.

Although R and U aren't words so I don't know if it does the same thing for only letters?

Seriously though, looking at it, completely unintentionally I capitalized R and U when using them by themselves...any why would you shout "ARE YOU" anyway? If your friends think you are yelling at them maybe they just need to learn context?

I can't believe I just put that much thought into this reply...:facepalm:

mydefposse

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I can't see anywhere where this has been mentioned before, but apologies if it has:

In pictures, when I click on the 3 dots, and share with Twitter, the link that it puts in my tweet is a stupid skydrive one. Before Mango, I'd hit the 3 dots and click "extras" then use Rowi (my twitter app) to upload the picture, but "extras" seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know:

a) If I can change the settings to get WP to use twitpic or something instead of skydrive or
b) If I can somehow bring back that 'extras' button so I can carry on using Rowi or any other Twitter app?

Many thanks in advance!
Dan.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
the exras has been replaced with share on my focus it twitter facebook and skydrive and no youcant bring the extras button its in the rom

mydefposse

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
the exras has been replaced with share on my focus it twitter facebook and skydrive and no youcant bring the extras button its in the rom

The "share with" button has always been there for me, only "twitter" has been added to it with Mango, but as I said above the host it uses is skydrive so not only can you not preview the pic in twitter.com sidebar thing but it also takes an AGE to load it so I really don't like it. It's a shame I can no longer upload straight from the pic, will have to manually go into Rowi from now on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre