Mango How To's and other tricks

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I though it would be nice if we could aggregate a bunch of information and how to's of the new features in Mango for users (like myself) that were not running the RTM versions. I'll try to update the first post with pertinent links as my time permits.

A couple that I dug up to start with

Activate Facebook Chat in Windows Phone "Mango" [How To]
Multiple Google calendars in Mango [How to]

A few windows phone blog links

What's New in Pictures and Camera
Tweet-ness! How Twitter works in Mango

Post your Mango phones Ringtones here
Custom ringtones with Mango

Last edited:

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
A few tips that I figured out for things I will use a lot.

- To see running apps / open apps press and hold the back button.
- To use visual search or music tagging press the search button then press the corresponding button at the bottom of the bing search page.
- To link email accounts open an email account then open the menu and select settings then pick "linked inboxes"

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Not tricks, but a few things I've noticed:

The animation for the arrow on the start screen when you flick left to right has changed subtly - it now always stays onscreen.

On pressing power to unlock, my lockscreen briefly flashes up with no text on it before the time/date appear

Music controls are now just on the lockscreen wallpaper, not in a separate area (much nicer)

Having the local scout tile pinned is pointless - you can get to it so quickly from the dedicated search key it'd just be taking up space

Mango/updated WP connector for mac fixes the album art transfer from iTunes - they now copy over properly

To get your music controls off the lockscreen again, quit out properly via the home button, not the back arrow

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
On my homescreen in the menu, I can scroll through the list by using alphabets, but my partner's Focus has a search magnifying glass. Interesting

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
On my homescreen in the menu, I can scroll through the list by using alphabets, but my partner's Focus has a search magnifying glass. Interesting

You mean the app list? If so it adds the letters after 20 or 30 apps, I forgot the number.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
OH! I didn't know that. That means I've been abusing this phone LOL. Got ya. And to add, well edit, it does have a magnifying glass to search

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to close apps when in app view?

I was wondering this also? Using webOS on my touchpad its very easy to close apps in the card menu. I have yet to figure it out in WP7. I think you have to actually goto the screen you want to close and hut back. But if its say IEXPLORER, you will have to keep hitting back until you run through all the pages you viewed. I would love a dedicated on screen exit button for apps in WP7.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Press and hold the home button and the 'voice search' option comes up. Say things like 'open Angry Birds' and voil?...Angry Birds opens :)

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a question/concern, that may be a "how to".

As I'm sure you all know, In 7.5, you are now able to quick search your apps using the "alphabet keys". It showed it, but now it doesn't. Is there a setting on how to get it back?

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Someone in this thread or another one said that it only appears after you hit a certain number of apps installed on your phone. I'm going to assume that if it disappeared then you may have deleted just enough apps to make it go away.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's based on how many apps you have. It automatically goes on when you pass the threshold. Did you delete apps? If so, that's what would have made it go away. I think the threshold is 30?

psyberjay

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Not tricks, but a few things I've noticed:

On pressing power to unlock, my lockscreen briefly flashes up with no text on it before the time/date appear

This is kinda annoying to me. Does anyone know how to fix this so the text comes out with the lockscreen?

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Someone in this thread or another one said that it only appears after you hit a certain number of apps installed on your phone. I'm going to assume that if it disappeared then you may have deleted just enough apps to make it go away.
It's based on how many apps you have. It automatically goes on when you pass the threshold. Did you delete apps? If so, that's what would have made it go away. I think the threshold is 30?

Thanks, guys. That is what happened. I didn't delete any apps, but Marketplace prompted me to update the apps I have, one of which was for Attentive Phone (HTC). I now noticed that it's no longer an app, but integrated into the phone. So the phone took it out of the app list and thus, the quick search is gone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb