Now that we've got Mango, what will we complain about?

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Some of the games are still missing mango updates, specifically Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja... I swear they switched must faster on all the videos.

Sent from my Focus using Board Express

CamiKitti

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
They also need to add the autocorrect function back into marketplace -.- Why the heck would they even take that out?! I DEPEND on autocorrect.

L

lumic

I think they should have implemented a colour wheel for accent colours, and possibly a few different background colours (darker browns, etc).

I'm still annoyed about the situation of getting a file onto the device. ABookReader implements DropBox to download the epubs from - that's just backwards when Microsoft owns SkyDrive and has syncing software. Another example is getting a PDF onto the phone.

Search needs to become contextual. Seriously, Bing isn't so important that we can't press the home key then the search key. I'd love to be able to touch the search key on the app list and type the first letter on the keyboard directly above. Having to touch the search button near the top of the screen was a bad decision.

Overall, this update pretty much brings us to feature parity, but ease-of-use is generally far better than the competition. Great work Microsoft, I hope they can perfect it by Apollo.

Shobiz

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
IE9 is worst part so far. They took away things. Mobile sites look like the mobile sites 5 years ago (ESPN, YAHOO)

3lackdeath

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I think they should have implemented a colour wheel for accent colours, and possibly a few different background colours (darker browns, etc).

I'm dying for some customization options.

Cant change background image for home screen/App screen.
Cant change custom tone for features like messaging, email alerts to name a few.

These are simple things that other OS's have that we lack, why is it so hard to get these.

Last edited:
L

lumic

I'm dying for some customization options.

Cant change background image for home screen/App screen.
Cant change custom tone for features like messaging, email alerts to name a few.

These are simple things that other OS's have that we lack, why is it so hard to get these.
There's quite a bit of customization possible if you go check out the homebrew. I believe custom tones are possible, the background colour can be changed, and custom accent colours are available. Some of these things should have been simplified by Microsoft, but oh well.

However, if you chose a WP7 thinking you could have a wallpaper for your home screen you obviously don't put much thought into your decisions.

3lackdeath

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
However, if you chose a WP7 thinking you could have a wallpaper for your home screen you obviously don't put much thought into your decisions.

And you obviously tend to over think things as to why you end up giving an answer that does not warrant it.

Adding an image to the home/app screen should have been a miner feature regardless of the OS, So i'm sorry for getting bored of changing my tile colours and the background from black to white and back again just to feel aesthetically comfortable with my phone.

It's obvious that you like ugly and things that are limited when they have so much room for progress.

L

lumic

And you obviously tend to over think things as to why you end up giving an answer that does not warrant it.

Adding an image to the home/app screen should have been a miner feature regardless of the OS, So i'm sorry for getting bored of changing my tile colours and the background from black to white and back again just to feel aesthetically comfortable with my phone.

It's obvious that you like ugly and things that are limited when they have so much room for progress.
That really depends on what you consider essential to an operating system. If Microsoft removed the wallpaper on desktop Windows, I seriously wouldn't care too much.

I don't want to have a fight over it or something, but seriously, I think I'm just hitting a nerve. There's only so much sympathy you can give someone who chooses to overlook basic omissions and whines about them post-purchase.

I would totally understand your view if it were not for the fact that you own a phone. I was pretty reluctant to try WP7 because of the lack of customization. After a month, I understand Metro and even my lockscreen image is a flat colour.

If you never felt the concept of Metro, I don't know why you'd jump on the platform. It's seriously a HUGE aspect to consider when making a purchase - whether you'll enjoy the look of the operating system.

And yes, after a month I wouldn't even add a background image if I was able to. It would look so out of place, and there really isn't any room with the kind of layout the home screen / app list takes.

Honestly, if you think Windows Phone is ugly, go and sell your device. What's the point of keeping the device when you don't appreciate the operating system? You'll be better off, and everyone here will be too.

The fact that you overlooked the lack of home screen wallpapers is obvious. Saying that I obviously like something ugly included your opinion and was extremely immature. I think Windows Phone is aesthetically nicer than any other operating system on the market (save perhaps, for Nokia's MeeGo skin). I appreciate customization that is consistent - not a custom launcher that will kick me back into a different design language once I venture into an app.

On a side note, why do you completely dodge the answers I made in my post? Are you just here to wind people up?

Last edited:

3lackdeath

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
LOL there is a saying "To each is own", metro is nice an all and i do love it but what i like and what you like are two different things.

Watching Wp7 from mid 2010 and seeing developers having 10-20 background colours and a very wide range of tile colours has led me to think that i would also be able to do the same with mango, so don't tell me to sell my device just because you wont even consider having these features.

Microsoft also set my expectation when i saw these (images below), yes i love my phone and all its features and capabilities but to me it's aesthetically boring.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wpcms_produ.../000/044/969/original/theme-custimisation.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wpcms_produ...00/044/970/original/customise-wp7-concept.png

This argument is pointless because we obviously like different things and use our devices in different ways but next time don't give an immature answer because you will get an immature response

I did not dodge it and I'm very grateful for it, i even started doing research in becoming a developer but the last part did upset me.

Last edited:

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
3lackdeath said:
Microsoft also set my expectation when i saw these (images below), yes i love my phone and all its features and capabilities but to me it's aesthetically boring.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wpcms_produ.../000/044/969/original/theme-custimisation.png

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wpcms_produ...00/044/970/original/customise-wp7-concept.png

So you based your thoughts about theme customization for a phone by a individuals concept art? This art was released in 2011 and not by Microsoft. I love what Adrian Manteuffel has done with the metro UI, but i notice that he doesn't show any tiles that have their colors forced to something that is not consistant with the theme. For instance the Xbox Live tile is always green. I don't know how such tiles will fit into his themes.

I think customization is great and should be added. I don't think the abscence of customization is the end of the world though. Had I wanted more customization I would have bought an android platform. Needless to say, the current metro ui is aesthically pleaseing and easy on the eyes.

Last edited:

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
IE9 is worst part so far. They took away things. Mobile sites look like the mobile sites 5 years ago (ESPN, YAHOO)

complaining about how mobile sites render? seriously? IE9 is one of the best features in mango I can watch many more embedded videos than before and sites like tube8, YouTube and dailymotion also work whereas they didn't before, just use the desktop versions they look great.

3lackdeath

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
So you based your thoughts about theme customization for a phone by a individuals concept art? This art was released in 2011 and not by Microsoft. I love what Adrian Manteuffel has done with the metro UI, but i notice that he doesn't show any tiles that have their colors forced to something that is not consistant with the theme. For instance the Xbox Live tile is always green. I don't know how such tiles will fit into his themes.

I think customization is great and should be added. I don't think the abscence of customization is the end of the world though. Had I wanted more customization I would have bought an android platform. Needless to say, the current metro ui is aesthically pleaseing and easy on the eyes.

It was based on the fact that i had it on every mobile platform iv'e ever used and i ended up seeing a couple from some developers that basically caught my attention, Lets just say that customization is big thing for me.

Was thinking of becoming a developer for this main reason but i may end leaving it as it is.... sorry about everything.

Vector555

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It was based on the fact that i had it on every mobile platform iv'e ever used and i ended up seeing a couple from some developers that basically caught my attention, Lets just say that customization is big thing for me.

Was thinking of becoming a developer for this main reason but i may end leaving it as it is.... sorry about everything.

I in no way want to discourage your from using the platform. infact, I want to encourage you to use it, to become a developer, and make your wishes come true. I won't lie though, the path will be a hard one.

I enjoyed theis concept art by the way. http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nR80rquGKA0/TY_COKg_qgI/AAAAAAAAANY/QCbwaB2KMOA/s1600/mango.png

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Some of the games are still missing mango updates, specifically Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja... I swear they switched must faster on all the videos.

Sent from my Focus using Board Express

This, also they need to be 60fps now. Especially Fruit Ninja that's very slow, chops a lot and has the wrong name on the tile.

DarkFears

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I haven't really found anything to really gripe about. One thing I don't understand is things like the volume indicator are different, don't understand why they didn't give the option to select which style you want. Same with everything else, why not add the new style but give option of what you want it to look like. But Mango rocks so it's not really anything to complain about :)

Oh wait... still missing ability to send ringtones/videos through MMS? :( oh well... :) still incredibly happy with it! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett