for the love of.....volume

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Must say I love wp7. I do however have a huge gripe. How in the **** is there not task specific volume settings? 1 volume setting for everything is super weak. How does something this simple continue to be overlooked?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think he means having a separate volume setting for notifications, media and alarms. I think it would be nice to have that option too.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Main gripe is the keyboard volume - jeez that thing is loud and annoying, but I like it there at around volume 5 just to know I'm pressing keys.

totally agree.. I wonder if there's some kinda keyboard hack out there...or if Microsoft will fix this in a future update.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
No idea what iOS5 has but up till now iOS has no volume controls besides the main volume. When I play a video its independent of where the phone volume is. Do not even have a setting for keyboard volume. If the phone is not on vibrate the KB always clicks the same loudness no matter what the phone volume is set to.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I think he means having a separate volume setting for notifications, media and alarms. I think it would be nice to have that option too.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

I agree, that would be a very nice addition to add to the mix. Has anyone put this on the wish list to MS about new features?

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've seen on some pages that MS sees the single volume control as a "feature, not a defect." They see it as a way they've simplified things but I think they've OVER simplified this one.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
totally agree.. I wonder if there's some kinda keyboard hack out there...or if Microsoft will fix this in a future update.

Excuse the impertinence if it is, but isn't volume control super accessible on all WP7 devices? If so, couldn't you guys simply lower the volume to any 1/30th degree when you are typing? (Admittedly, from a guy that has keyboard sound turned off completely because any level annoys me, loved ones, admired ones, tolerated ones, etc.) ;)

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Excuse the impertinence if it is, but isn't volume control super accessible on all WP7 devices? If so, couldn't you guys simply lower the volume to any 1/30th degree when you are typing? (Admittedly, from a guy that has keyboard sound turned off completely because any level annoys me, loved ones, admired ones, tolerated ones, etc.) ;)

It would be kinda ridiculous to turn the volume up and down everytime you wanna type something. I like the sound of the phone dialer and when you copy/paste something, but I hate the loud popping of the keyboard. It would be nice to be able to separately adjust the volume of it. Or at least have a haptic feedback option.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Main gripe is the keyboard volume - jeez that thing is loud and annoying, but I like it there at around volume 5 just to know I'm pressing keys.
I agree. Didn't think I would like the sound vs. haptic feedback, but I have gotten used to it. While custom volume for multiple features would be nice (and complicated for some users) kb volume as a % of total volume would be a great feature. I usually keep volume at about 15, so yeah, 5 or 30% would be excellent.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It would be kinda ridiculous to turn the volume up and down everytime you wanna type something. I like the sound of the phone dialer and when you copy/paste something, but I hate the loud popping of the keyboard. It would be nice to be able to separately adjust the volume of it. Or at least have a haptic feedback option.
Haha yea I ended up turning off the key press sounds because of this. I like the noise, but at 15 it annoys everyone around me. And if I'd turn the volume to type I'd forget to turn it back up at times.

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand what's so wrong with having alot of customization. From different things I read it sounds like people are paranoid that wp7 is gonna turn into android if you have more than two options in menu settings.. Or if your allowed to put a clock on the home screen. ..Or if there's a separate volume control for the keyboard. It would still be wp7, with the metro UI and the way the phone operates, only it would appeal to more people.

Last edited:

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes having the ability to set (and forget) your alarm to very loud; but keep the phone volume at say medium; games at another setting; and music at another; alerts at soft; and key press to minimum or off would be ideal.
I do miss the "mute all" switch which was common on all Palm smartphones.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what's so wrong with having alot of customization. From different things I read it sounds like people are paranoid that wp7 is gonna turn into android if you have more than two options in menu settings.. Or if your allowed to put a clock on the home screen. ..Or if there's a separate volume control for the keyboard. It would still be wp7, with the metro UI and the way the phone operates, only it would appeal to more people.
I think it's a perception thing. Sure, MS could include dozens of user defined settings without much trouble, and most users would never touch them or even know they are there. But reviewers and critics would point them out, showing long lists of settings and "claim" that Windows Phone is complicated, which it isn't.

That's where legal jailbreaking could help though. Allow experienced users the opportunity to change some things that won't screw up the phone, like a custom color or volume setting, but give experienced users some satisfaction. And give us something to blog about.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb