custom alert tones

patchulaz

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
i can't believe that you can't do custom notification and alarm tones, even with mango. i don't mean to come on here and complain, but i'm curious to see how many others are as bothered by this as i am. to be sure, i'm not all that mad that i can't do a custom tone. having to use a built in tone instead of my zelda "found secret" sound that i used on android isn't the end of the world (although the zelda sound was awesome). i just can't believe that microsoft missed the boat by not fixing this. to me, it's kind of weird that they didn't have custom ringtones, notification, and alarm sounds on the original OS release, but the fact that they did add custom ringtones, but didn't fix notifications and alarms, is shocking. it makes me wonder about the thoroughness of their feedback and testing process. it's like they're not even paying attention to what they're doing. i don't know how they plan on gaining market share if they can't even figure out some of the simple stuff.

ok, i'm off my soapbox now. but does this bother anyone else, or is it just me?

TiLoBrown

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for bumping this, but I dont know if its its been found yet. But there are custom alarms. As long as you make it as a ring tone, you can use it for an alarm.

staindgrey

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. I absolutely love the WP7 UI, but the little things like this make me miss my Android phone.

It's minor, of course, but I like customizing my text alerts more than my ringtones. I'm dying to use a recording I found of Mass Effect 2's Kelly Chambers saying "Commander, you've received a new message at your private terminal", but I'm not willing to jailbreak the phone over a stupid alert sound.

Currently trying to find a way into the alert sounds folder via PC, but so far all I've made my way into is the media storage folders from Zune. I'm not informed enough on the way phone OSes work to get any further.

Lame.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it is pretty ridiculous. I absolutely love the WP7 UI, but the little things like this make me miss my Android phone.

It's minor, of course, but I like customizing my text alerts more than my ringtones. I'm dying to use a recording I found of Mass Effect 2's Kelly Chambers saying "Commander, you've received a new message at your private terminal", but I'm not willing to jailbreak the phone over a stupid alert sound.

Currently trying to find a way into the alert sounds folder via PC, but so far all I've made my way into is the media storage folders from Zune. I'm not informed enough on the way phone OSes work to get any further.

Lame.
waving.gif

welcome.gif

I used to enjoy having my personalised text alerts too staindgrey, the feature will probably arrive eventually. In the meanwhile enjoy your tinkering and welcome along to WPC.

Always nice to see new WP7 users. :)

staindgrey

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Gracias, WeeBear. I've had my Focus for a few months now. Like I said, love it, but it's the little things that bug me. Like this. Hope the next update isn't far off.

Basically, I traded doing tons of stuff for easier functionality and simply WORKING. Which is ironic, since I choose Windows over OS X in order to trade streamlined functionality for being able to do more, how I want to do it. I make no sense lol.

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes i know ecactly what you meant staindgrey. I agree WP7 does have it's little missing niggles like the one you mentioned, plenty more too, but on the whole the OS just works, nice and simple, and we can't complain about that. :)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it has changed, but pre-Mango the alerts were fixed at Alert1 thru 10, and imbedded as such in the registry, so not that easy to modify. Tried replacing one (overwriting a file)without any luck, but I believe Schapman did figure it out with Touch Xperience.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with OP. This has been defacto on BB for years. YEARS! How could someone MISS this??? I NEED to have my phone notify me different ways based on the criteria *I* define. I may need a certain notification of all emails received on a certain mailbox. I may also need a certain notification of just texts or emails from certain individuals.

I've heard of an app called TouchDevelop that can script certain things. I was thinking about using this to script what I need as far as settings rules such as what I need.

TheBlueNavi

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I was not happy and of course it was the first thing I went for. The confusion. The disappointment....i love my phone having never owned a touch device before but when 1st Gen phone had extreme ease to making your own custom ringtones just from your own bank of music or anything....txt tone wars was once my favorite game who had the funniest. Or the most recent...and im sad without it...i feel bland and im disappointed because the windows phone is more complicated and too much time was spent on something's and the little customizable features are being takin away. I get a few colors with a black or white background, the live tiles are fine but it would be nice to put a scene behind them. I love the phone and im grateful for it...but the little things matter in life...I want a personal phone...that only looks and sounds like my phone. And earlier Gen phone had no problem with it....so I feel in a sense Microsoft did this on purpose because of the copyright censor crap that's hopping off this year. I hope they do change it in the update and I am positive many others are feeling the same way.:excl:

TheBlueNavi

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Oh and btw all the alerts sound the same.....fail. Badly auidable bells....yea even at 30 volume that's not catching my attention. The vibrate is a must. Ok im done complaining. And aside from this I do love the phone. Its grand and new. The kinks are just personal ones.

firthy

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
Only got my Optimus 7 yesterday, and found this annoying, I know its only a little thing, but meh, annoying still.
Ive managed to change my ringtone to my original Android one, but as a poster said above, all the original alert tones sound very bland and similar.
I want my Mario alert tone back for sms....:mad:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

These little annoyances are annoying for sure firthy (I know what I just said is plain stupid) :lol:

Hopefully in future updates we'll be allowed to change our alert tones too.

Anyway, just wanted to welcome you along to WPCentral firthy. :)

Hope you're enjoying Windows Phone though, even without your 'It's A Me, Mario!' chappie sms alert tone. :)

brucew17

Feb 13, 2012
Visit site
First timer here. I got an alert to down load and play but when trying to set up as an alert all I have is "none" followed by alert 1-10 in ringtones and sounds when trying to change my "new text or IM" Is there a way to access ringtones when trying to change an alert? I have a HTC Trophy and I am running 7.5 with Mango

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99