Mango ruined my battery life Forum

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: BATTERY LIFE IS BACK TO NORMAL as of 10/3/11. Since I tried multiple fixes I will list everything done to the phone without any understanding if any of these resolved the problem or not, individually or collectively:

* Located every app listed in the Settings> Applications> Background Tasks> Advanced. Toggled on/off of all background tasks in each app in this list. Only left on my weather and WPCentral apps.
*Turned off all setting in the HTC app "Attentive Phone". Settings> System> Attentive Phone
*Recharged the battery until it was 100% charged
*Rebooted the phone

One of the biggest strengths of WP7 is battery life. Something is either wrong with my phone or something is wrong with Mango because my battery life has been killed.

Pre-Mango always turned off all internet connections and used airplane mode at night. This would effectively run close to 0-1% battery until the morning.

Post-Mango all internet connections turned off and airplane mode running and it eats about 40% of my battery.

This likely hs to do with background tasks. Anybody know what the **** is going on? Jimski any ideas?

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Battery life seems the same to me.

I don't understand why you aren't charging your phone overnight instead of putting it in airplane mode? Was it just for testing purposes?

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I guess I should narrow this question down. Has anyone who uses airplane mode noticed that it kills your battery instead of helping it like it is supposed to?

I dunno, just seems to me that if you can save about 40% of your battery each night that's a good idea.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I dunno, just seems to me that if you can save about 40% of your battery each night that's a good idea.

Why is that a good idea?

Battery life depends on the amount of charge cycles. If you wait until it reaches 25% vs 80% (i.e. nightly), then you're increasing the number of charge cycles. How old is your phone and battery? It could simply be that your battery is starting to age w/ the charge cycles.

Here's more info on charge cycles from "the other company": Apple Portables: Determining Battery Cycle Count

Michael.

dawindbag

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you should use the Battery Saver function instead of airplane mode. It was designed the conserve battery. Airplane mode wasn't.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
That was a good article. The best quote was:

"A charge cycle means using all of the battery"

So 2 50% charges= 1 cycle.

In my case I went from 1 cycle every 24 hours to 1 cycle every 12 hours with Mango.

Last edited:

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Maybe to test if it's a program running, before bed shut your phone off to clear everything out and then turn it back on, let it go to standby and then let it run that way over night. A freshly booted phone wouldn't be running anything it shouldn't be.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I turned off most background tasks except for Wpcentral and Accuweather. Well see how that goes. Still strange though since I can't be the only one running these apps.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
How's your cell reception WPDiddy? I have killed half a battery today I'm blaming it on my cell radio. I'm getting horrible coverage post update. I think Sprint fubared the CDMA radio on my Arrive.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
How's your cell reception WPDiddy? I have killed half a battery today I'm blaming it on my cell radio. I'm getting horrible coverage post update. I think Sprint fubared the CDMA radio on my Arrive.

Seems perfectly fine since Mango. Signal strength is normal. Are you bouncing around with signal strength more than normal? My 3G connection is stable as normal too.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Seems perfectly fine since Mango. Signal strength is normal. Are you bouncing around with signal strength more than normal? My 3G connection is stable as normal too.

I've been bouncing in and out 3g all day while driving around the DFW area which is odd. I am working on a new job site today and the reception is bad here I had to turn off roaming. What's weared is when I turned off roaming my signal bars went up on Sprint only which makes no sense at all. I'll keep testing and let ya know what I find.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe give Sprint a call. They have been informative when I called about reception issues and can tell when a tower is down in your area or run testing for your phone.

pdawg17

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
I've been bouncing in and out 3g all day while driving around the DFW area which is odd. I am working on a new job site today and the reception is bad here I had to turn off roaming. What's weared is when I turned off roaming my signal bars went up on Sprint only which makes no sense at all. I'll keep testing and let ya know what I find.

Hmmm...I always assume a radio update is a good thing but I'll start paying attention to my Arrive as well...I can't say battery life is a lot worse since the update but I can DEFINITELY say it is not better...

LCARS

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Very odd. My battery life is actually much better now that I am using battery saver. I charge it every night. Pre-mango, I could go 2/3 of a day with heavy music listening and I'd have to charge it at work. After mango, I can make it through the whole day.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
You guys are scaring me with talk of bad battery life post Mango. You too Big D5? I have the Arrive too. Now if you don't already know, Sprint is doing a lot of stuff with their towers nationwide. Facebook/Sprint users are plenty upset at data speeds, slow connections, dropped calls and slow delivery of text messages.

If the signal is throttling where you are, its going to destroy your battery. So far I'm good in Vegas with my signal and battery. There might be some issues with Mango and I suspect their are, but I'm aware Sprint's network is garbage right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786