Mango ruined my battery life Forum

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a Samsung Focus and I seem to get 8-10 hours a charge on light usage. I'll get 12 hours idling. I think I'm going to try wiping my phone right now and see if it fixes anything. Too bad there isn't a way to backup your save files for everything. Mainly Angry Birds haha.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What were you getting before?

I could get through the entire day with light useage. Soon as it was time to go to bed the critical battery message would appear. At first I was thinking it was because I was using my phone more, but at this point I think I'm using it the same amount as NoDo.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
WOW! So I reset my phone. It took me about 30 minutes to get my phone how I like it and redownload everything... very easy and convenient. I wish it was that fast/easy to reinstall Windows.

So now I'm seeing 93% battery, 1 day, 4 hours remaining for my battery time. Before it said 9 hours remaining (and trust me it only lasted 9 hours). I'm going to have to see if I get a day charge out of it, or the phone needs time to recalculate based on my useage.

I'll keep you guys posted. Maybe a process went rogue and a reset is the best way to fix it.

Baka

May 5, 2011
Visit site
GaMMa - same thing here on my Arrive. I did a full reset, wiping everything off but keeping Mango, and now I'm seeing 1 day 15 hrs battery life at full charge (it was 12 hours at full charge before the wipe.).

I'm thinking this is the solution for whatever caused the problem.

vdubskey

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Woo hoo! This fixed my battery issues. I now get through a whole day just like I was before mango. And I haven't had any apps crash the phone anymore. Nice.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I may have spoke too soon. It looks like my battery is still draining 10% an hour on idle. The battery charge meter probably gets reset after a full reset and needs time to recalculate.

Today it was saying I was unplugged for 4 hours (after a full charge), 50% battery remaining and 19 hours of charge left. I have no idea how it thinks I have 19 hours of battery life left if it took 4 hours to go through half the battery.

Do you guys think it's a rouge app or something? I have no background tasks according to the settings menu, but maybe something is running in the background?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
...Do you guys think it's a rouge app or something? I have no background tasks according to the settings menu, but maybe something is running in the background?

Remembering back when I had my Treo Pro with Windows Mobile 6.1, rouge applications caused about 70% of the problems I saw at Treo Central.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Remembering back when I had my Treo Pro with Windows Mobile 6.1, rouge applications caused about 70% of the problems I saw at Treo Central.

Yea even with my BlackBerry, rouge apps could kill the battery pretty quickly. I don't have much installed though so I'm not really sure what it could be. For all I know it's an OS bug or something...

phaboman

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Everything was fine again after I did a reset. But today, I woke up and used my phone for 5 minutes before checking my battery and it showed 11 hours at 99%. Not sure what to do now, will be tracking my battery today/tomorrow to see what "real life" battery I get. It doesn't 'feel' worse so far.

The ONLY consistent thing I did before the two times my battery tanked was that I plugged my phone in at less than 5% into the official HTC wall charge until it hit 100% overnight. Maybe the HTC charger somehow screwing up the battery or battery meter? I know it charges more quickly than my others chargers.

--

So I have two suspicions I'm testing out. 1. I forced the update, so maybe somehow there's a difference between this and getting the update automatically. 2. My HTC charger is somehow throwing the battery/meter off. So I just took my phone back to NoDo and let the update automatically detect and get to Mango. I'll also stop using the HTC charger to see if that helps. Hoping battery doesn't get all screwy on me again.

Last edited:

techjunkieforlife

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
It appears the biggest rogue App I have that is killing battery life is the Zune Podcast Sync. It just randomly re-downloads all the time on WiFi and I have a lot of cast subs. Been thinking of going back to the old way until they workout some of the podcast issues to see how much it saves.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Today was a good day for me. 11 hours with 33% battery left. No battery saver and I listened to podcasts most of the day. I only used Zune, People Hub and IE. I'm wondering if the cause of my battery drain is 3rd party apps or maybe the Messaging Hub? Tomorrow I'm going to try to rule one of those out.

Maybe non-Mango apps suspended with multitasking are draining peoples batteries?

bricot

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Pre-Mango battery life 3 days
Post Mango battery life 1.5 days.

Updated built in apps, only other apps installed are Accuweather, Insider and Ebay.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Samsung Focus and I seem to get 8-10 hours a charge on light usage. I'll get 12 hours idling. I think I'm going to try wiping my phone right now and see if it fixes anything. Too bad there isn't a way to backup your save files for everything. Mainly Angry Birds haha.

Doesn't Windows Live backup all your app settings along with contacts?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't Windows Live backup all your app settings along with contacts?
It backs up contacts, but not application data. The next Xbox 360 update is going to back up save data in the cloud and I thought that feature was was coming with Mango, but nothing yet.

bricot

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't back up wireless connection info or email account settings. Let us know if wiping works...I guess if thats the answer I'll do it to.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium