There are two things that are preventing me from absolutely loving this OS. One is the lack of apps relative to Android and iOS. Hopefully, this will get better - it's all up to the willingness of the developers. Second, is the fact that Windows Phone 7.5 Mango is NOT open-source. Because of this, I am torn between Android and WP7. If windows phone was open source, I would never give Android a second thought.

If you think that Microsoft should make WP7.5 Mango open source, please sign this petition.
    10-01-2011 08:48 PM
    Microsoft WILL NEVER go open source. Period. As much as people sign a petition, I doubt even that Microsoft has ever thought of that.

But, what exactly is that you want in an open-source phone? Not that I ignore what open source offers.
    10-01-2011 09:11 PM
    The apps are coming, more and more are arriving each day. I'm not sure why open-source is so important and I hope WP7 never goes that route. WP7 is definitely more polished than android.
    10-01-2011 09:40 PM
    well, has EVER open sourced any of their products? Of the big guns (desktop windows, office, and mobile) no, so I dont see why they would start now.
    10-01-2011 10:26 PM
    There are two things that are preventing me from absolutely loving this OS. One is the lack of apps relative to Android and iOS. Hopefully, this will get better - it's all up to the willingness of the developers. Second, is the fact that Windows Phone 7.5 Mango is NOT open-source. Because of this, I am torn between Android and WP7. If windows phone was open source, I would never give Android a second thought.

If you think that Microsoft should make WP7.5 Mango open source, please sign this petition.
    Your petition is silly and pointless.
    threed61 likes this.
    10-01-2011 10:33 PM
    To me Open source = fragmentation that isn't something I want.
    10-01-2011 10:46 PM
    what is this i don't even
    10-01-2011 10:59 PM

Excuse the abrasiveness but, get lost with that idea. If I wanted the garbage from a free operating system, I would still be with android. You can be as torn up as you like between both platforms but spend some time with this platform and you can know what true OS development is. I don't get this open-source meme you guys continue to proselytize. WP7 is as open as it need be but it has a set of rules and parameters which which you can build applications. Build to your hearts content. But it will never be the kind of platform that can be modified leaving it the kind of garbage Windows Mobile is and Android is fast becoming.
    ninjaap, astroXP and threed61 like this.
    10-01-2011 11:08 PM
    Internet Petitions never solve anything.
    10-01-2011 11:46 PM
    Why do you care if it's open source or not?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    10-02-2011 06:12 AM
    this is very funny.
    10-02-2011 08:00 AM
    Not being open source is WP7's greatest strength.

When MSFT lines up all of there OS's to be a common interface that interact with one another you will hopefully agree. If they open-source one they will have to open all of the others as well.

Doh! I just fed the troll /sigh .....
    10-02-2011 08:12 AM
    well, i was all set to come in here and post about how silly it would be for MS to open-source the WP O/S but, I see that it's all been taken care of for me by everyone else so... I'll just say ditto to all prior comments here.
    10-02-2011 09:01 AM
    Second, is the fact that Windows Phone 7.5 Mango is NOT open-source.
    Why do you want it to be open source?

Actually does anyone know why someone would want WP7 to be open source?
    Last edited by exomondo; 10-02-2011 at 06:07 PM.
    10-02-2011 06:02 PM