Now that you've had Mango for a week...

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
What do you think?

Here are some of my thoughts:
- Very few apps have been updated to take advantage of Mango, and even fewer apps have been released that use the new APIs. Disappointing...
- While I do like some of the changes they've made, they have also went a couple steps backwards when changing the interface for ie9. No more fullscreen, too many steps to change tabs/add favorites, and lack of find in page really frustrates me.
- Using the phone with battery saver off is not a good idea, battery drains way too fast when using multi-tasking.
- Bing sucks, I hate that I have to use google for everything like searching/maps.

This is pretty much my rant thread, but I have thought about it a lot over the past week and I just don't see Mango adding enough features or fixing enough problems for me to stay on wp7. I think I'm going to buy an iphone 5 :(

It's okay. It was a good update, but not as earth-moving as I thought it would be. I think I could name maybe 8 of the new 500+ features. I too am annoyed that the developers have to go out of their way to update to Mango. Will we forever have 30,000 apps in the marketplace that are outdated and slow? I don't know. I also wonder when the next update is. A year between updates will not keep up with the competition, methinks.

I love Bing.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I notice everyone mentions no more full screen with the Mango update. I notice with my new Windows 7 laptop, I do not have a full screen either.
There is a one inch gap between top and bottom, I know off topic but that was in case anyone was interested in my observance. :D

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm feeling about the same as everyone else.

I'm glad Mango addressed a number of things that critically needed updating. Things like Office integration, the web browser, a battery saver, a far smoother marketplace experience, multitasking, etc. With all the improvements, I'm pretty happy now. I see no reason to change phones or upgrade to something else for the time being. A complete flip from what I felt before.

That being said, Mango was not an earth shattering update either... I blame that more on Microsoft's weak courtship of developer support though. Mango is here, but where are the Mango apps!? It's like no one even cared! A huge majority of Xbox Live titles, which easily benefited greatly from the addition of a 60fps cap and other features, are still sitting there in their original form! You'd think flagship titles like The Harvest, Angry Birds, Sonic 4, Fable Coin Golf, or Full House poker would ALL have been Mango ready... But nope. Not a peep. And there was no deluge of new apps in the marketplace either. It's still the same weak pool of offerings we've seen for months.

This is definitely a good direction for MS, but it's pretty clear what they need to do: Get more hardware out the door, and get those apps flowing. Unless they push this thing hard into 2012... I don't know. Ballmer's going to see weakened bonuses for a few years ;).

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I am perfectly happy for now. I was an early adopter and it has come a long way so far. I know it is not perfect and needs more improvements but that is just life. I wouldn't take the iPhone 4S if paid me. Well I would but it would get sold so I could upgrade the the Titan or the Focus S.

MiPinner

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It took a couple of days but I found the first problem after having updated my Samsung Focus to WP 7.5. Today I decided to drive the truck to work and it has the UConnect system from Chrysler. Prior to installing WP 7.5 I had very few issues using the Bluetooth features and paring my phone with my vehicle. Today I found that the hands free phone features are not working correctly. It will stay connected to the UConnect system for approx 30 seconds, switch back to my cell phone for another 15 seconds, and then reconnect to the Uconnect. It's a continual loop between being paired with my vehicle and the dropping the connection. I never had this behavior prior to upgrading to 7.5.

In an attempt to remedy the problem I did delete the device from the UConnect system and then initiated the paring process to reconnect the device. This did not change the behavior of the device.

Has anyone else experience this behavior?

blackhawk556

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
some of these games just got updated with mango support.

I'm feeling about the same as everyone else.

I'm glad Mango addressed a number of things that critically needed updating. Things like Office integration, the web browser, a battery saver, a far smoother marketplace experience, multitasking, etc. With all the improvements, I'm pretty happy now. I see no reason to change phones or upgrade to something else for the time being. A complete flip from what I felt before.

That being said, Mango was not an earth shattering update either... I blame that more on Microsoft's weak courtship of developer support though. Mango is here, but where are the Mango apps!? It's like no one even cared! A huge majority of Xbox Live titles, which easily benefited greatly from the addition of a 60fps cap and other features, are still sitting there in their original form! You'd think flagship titles like The Harvest, Angry Birds, Sonic 4, Fable Coin Golf, or Full House poker would ALL have been Mango ready... But nope. Not a peep. And there was no deluge of new apps in the marketplace either. It's still the same weak pool of offerings we've seen for months.

This is definitely a good direction for MS, but it's pretty clear what they need to do: Get more hardware out the door, and get those apps flowing. Unless they push this thing hard into 2012... I don't know. Ballmer's going to see weakened bonuses for a few years ;).

blackhawk556

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I have no problems with mango, I knew since its announcement that it wasn't going ti be earth shattering. Am I happy with it? Yes! Do I wish it added more features? Of course.

MiPinner

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It took a couple of days but I found the first problem after having updated my Samsung Focus to WP 7.5. Today I decided to drive the truck to work and it has the UConnect system from Chrysler. Prior to installing WP 7.5 I had very few issues using the Bluetooth features and paring my phone with my vehicle. Today I found that the hands free phone features are not working correctly. It will stay connected to the UConnect system for approx 30 seconds, switch back to my cell phone for another 15 seconds, and then reconnect to the Uconnect. It's a continual loop between being paired with my vehicle and the dropping the connection. I never had this behavior prior to upgrading to 7.5.

In an attempt to remedy the problem I did delete the device from the UConnect system and then initiated the paring process to reconnect the device. This did not change the behavior of the device.

Has anyone else experience this behavior?

I found that updating my UConnect firmware in my truck resolved the problem. I was operating at ver 2.043 and upgraded to 2.402. Funny thing, in the notes for the 2.402 update they mention the update address disconnect issues with iPhone 4. Guess that also applies to Samsung Focus with WP7.5. Additional information regarding the updating of a Chrysler UConnect device can be found here: http://mofv.com/mygig/

harshalsk

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I liked all the nifty things Mango did. But it still leaves a lot to be desired. I want Bluetooth API to be released as soon as possible. There can be whole lot of BT apps written around this API. Especially coming from Symbian I feel MSFT should put their act together and open API's and make life easy for developer even more.

Voice recognition has not improved very drastically they should enable that for email writing also. It does not understand basic "Call David" where I have only one David in my address book with one cellphone number only.

Coming back to local ActiveSync which I think should be included. It was a breeze in WinMo and that was biggest strength of it. Not all corporate are ready to open access to their email system until you are on VPN. Speaking of VPN where are those features?

How difficult it is for MSFT WP7 developers to copy code from WinMO and port to WP7.

Where is advertising Mango features. Why MS is not doing any more efforts to attract developers and subsidize the developer pricing? See android being benefitted by that.

MSFT is not an Apple and cannot copy Apple and expect similar success with WP7.

Also I absolutely do not like the tone MS saying "Mango is a "Free" update". What the heck. OS is still taking baby steps and still in diapers and everything until Windows 8.5 should be free for all early adopter WP7 phone users. Until my HTC HD7 dies I am not looking forward to by Win 8 phone or even Nokia WP8 phones. I want full potential of existing phones to be exploited and used.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm still extremely impressed with Mango. IMO this update really makes WP7 a viable alternative to iOS. My wish list is small, but it does still include a few things that I was dissatisfied with when I first tried WP7 last March.

(1) The new live tile features make it less likely to miss some notifications, but WP7 needs a persistent notification list.

(2) The email changes in Mango are great, but I still don't like that images are not downloaded by default and there is no option to do so. When images are downloaded, WP7 doesn't always size them to fit the screen appropriately so that the image is legible.

(3) Why is there no calendar search function in WP7? If I've forgotten when a particular meeting is scheduled, I should be able to do a search for it. Does no one at Microsoft ever forget appointments?

Comparing the core PIM apps between Mango and iOS 4, I'd rate them like this:

CALENDAR: Mango is far better, especially with ToDo display and syncing of Outlook Tasks through EAS.

CONTACTS: Mango is far better. Love the History view!

TASKS: Again, Mango wins.... for now. iOS 5 may be competitive with the new Reminders app and geofencing.

NOTES: I'm not a fan of Skydrive or OneNote, and I don't like the stock iOS Notes app either. Why can't WP7 sync Outlook Notes through EAS? Got to give Mango the win here because of OneNote.

EMAIL: iOS is still ahead. It matches Mango in all features, downloads images by default, sizes them correctly, and formats the text and header more legibly.

So that gives Mango a 4-1 victory here over iOS 4. Others will have different criteria of course; PIM functionality is very important to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
They removed the 'forward' menu option from IE9. So we now have the world's first browser with no 'forward'. Fantastic innovation.

If I could roll back this update right now, I would.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
some of these games just got updated with mango support.

Yeah I got them ;).

I'm glad they're working on it, but it's clearly a painfully slow process and there are still piles of games that need updating. It also doesn't change the fact that it's lame none of these titles were ready to go day one of Mango's launch. The Microsoft Studio titles, at the very least, should have been ready.

Mango itself was pretty great, and so is the OS, but the Xbox Live portion of the phone needs a lot more care and attention IMO. Missing game releases, releasing old games as the game of the week, releasing junky Games Room titles, the poor handling of Minesweeper... With Mango here, pretty much all my criticism lies in that singular portion of the phone. And that's the portion which, unfortunately for me, is most relevant to my interests. It's also the portion which I thought MS would have done the best job on, seeing as they've been running their console arcade for six years. Buuuut apparently my faith was misplaced :(

Still love my phone... but it's a love hate thing. If they would just get the gaming portion cleaned up I'd be a happy man. Looking at WP8 just makes me feel more depressed that it's not what's in my hands right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99