Why is everyone so hung up on closing apps?

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
But that's the whole point - it irritates you but it doesn't affect the phone's usage or performance. It irritates you because you want to close it for no rational reason except that you want to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to go into task manager in windows and close services I don't need running. But this isn't a PC, and Windows doesn't auto-close programs when I need more room (well, not gracefully).

When they start allowing you to close programs, why not allow you leave as many programs as you want in suspense? After all, we aren't children here, why can't I leave 20 apps open if I want and close them?

That's how we got into the garbage that was WinMo6. Everything was up to you. The vast majority of users are not power users and that's what this phone is - a consumer device.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
have you gone to the MS site where they are letting us vote on things to add in or fix in the next update? Theres an article in the WPC news area If you haven't check it out! Find what youwangt or add it if you dont !

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
have you gone to the MS site where they are letting us vote on things to add in or fix in the next update? Theres an article in the WPC news area If you haven't check it out! Find what youwangt or add it if you dont !
I agree jfa, no matter how little or massive your suggestion is, it should be aired.

Customer Feedback for Windows Phone

Submit away everyone, it's YOUR phone that will hopefully eventually benefit from your suggestions. :)

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
But that's the whole point - it irritates you but it doesn't affect the phone's usage or performance. It irritates you because you want to close it for no rational reason except that you want to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to go into task manager in windows and close services I don't need running. But this isn't a PC, and Windows doesn't auto-close programs when I need more room (well, not gracefully).

When they start allowing you to close programs, why not allow you leave as many programs as you want in suspense? After all, we aren't children here, why can't I leave 20 apps open if I want and close them?

That's how we got into the garbage that was WinMo6. Everything was up to you. The vast majority of users are not power users and that's what this phone is - a consumer device.

I completely agree. Android is becoming increasingly more like WinMo, something MS should avoid.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site

There are only 5 slots to "multitask" to. I would like to pick which 5 for the benefit of my using the phone in a more efficient manner. "Closing" those I don't want helps me achieve this. This is a supremely rational reason.

I really don't understand the pushback against this. "Closing" multitasking apps isn't going to send us over the slippery slope back to the dark days of Windows Mobile

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
There are only 5 slots to "multitask" to. I would like to pick which 5 for the benefit of my using the phone in a more efficient manner. "Closing" those I don't want helps me achieve this. This is a supremely rational reason.

I really don't understand the pushback against this. "Closing" multitasking apps isn't going to send us over the slippery slope back to the dark days of Windows Mobile

no, simply allowing closing doesn't. but the next logical step is "don't close my apps for me, I'll decide what and when to close". That's the dark days. And you know people will ask for that.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
they should of made it like WEBOS ( flick away )

now you have 6 slots (not 5 lol ;) )

it basicly closes the once that go beyond 6.

but what if u wana keep the 6th one open but not the 5th .. it could be nice to be able to flip it away...

but all u need to do to close an app:

Go to multy task menu --> open the app --> click the windows button--> its closed.....easy enough no???

i think what you guys are trying to complain about is the LACK OF TASK MANAGER!! not actually closing the app... cause u can lol

and the reason they close the apps for you is cause it was the NUMBER 1 Problem with WM....

client always came to see me (in s ore ) to tell me how slow the phone was,,, i opened task manager and saw 10-30 apps open!!!! now MS took care of that problem..

they made it DUMMY proof

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
This same behavior is in windows 8. Everything metro that you open behaves exactly as it does on windows phone. Might as well start getting used to it now.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
well I just did 2 searches and it overwrote the first one, so much for that claim.

Were they voice searches started by holding the Windows button down?

Here's what happened to me this morning. I was sitting at the table with my family. My mom put half-and-half in her coffee. I asked, "why do they call it half-and-half? Is it half cream and half milk?" She said she didn't know, so I decided to ask my phone. I held down the Windows button, and spoke, "find why do they call it half and half?" The phone eventually said, "searching for 'why do they call it in ***'..." We laughed for a while and I tried it again by holding the Windows button down and saying, "find why do they call it half and half." The phone said, "searching for 'why do they call it happen ***'..." We laughed. I decided to try it one more time. The phone said something else that wasn't nearly as funny (but also not including the word "half"). I looked at my task view and saw three separate search instances open.

Granted, this might be desired behavior if you really are intending to do three different searches. Maybe it shouldn't use an existing search instance.

On the other hand, the messaging bug definitely should be fixed. I can't think of any reason to have multiple instances of the same messaging conversation open.

Last edited:

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Honestly and truly, I have gotten used to it already, BUT... from a business perspective, if it really *doesn't matter*, then just put in a darn flick-away animation and make users happy. Instant good will from your users, and practically free.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
The sales people that are dealing with pissed off customers that have no battery life are telling them that's why their battery life sucks.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Were they voice searches started by holding the Windows button down?

Here's what happened to me this morning. I was sitting at the table with my family. My mom put half-and-half in her coffee. I asked, "why do they call it half-and-half? Is it half cream and half milk?" She said she didn't know, so I decided to ask my phone. I held down the Windows button, and spoke, "find why do they call it half and half?" The phone eventually said, "searching for 'why do they call it in ***'..." We laughed for a while and I tried it again by holding the Windows button down and saying, "find why do they call it half and half." The phone said, "searching for 'why do they call it happen ***'..." We laughed. I decided to try it one more time. The phone said something else that wasn't nearly as funny (but also not including the word "half"). I looked at my task view and saw three separate search instances open.

Granted, this might be desired behavior if you really are intending to do three different searches. Maybe it shouldn't use an existing search instance.

On the other hand, the messaging bug definitely should be fixed. I can't think of any reason to have multiple instances of the same messaging conversation open.

they were typed searches but I just tried the voice one now and it opened one in a local search and another in a web search, so it seems that all 3 types of searches get their own instance, if u try to do 2 of the same search (web,local or images) then it will overwrite the older one. on a second note I find it kinda funny that when u type in a name of a fine female it opens to image search rather than web search.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I know right? people like to complain and criticize everything! u got a like and a thanks.

It is less about criticizing and more about understanding. I have wondered and asked about how apps can be closed. Nothing wrong with that. All someone with a little patience has to do is explain to me how background apps work, etc. Sheesh.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
wp_logo.png

If Microsoft does put people first, then I think they should at least give the user the option to allow a "X" button o any other way to close a certain app. "But it harms your battery" well then just disable the closing apps function under settings. It is indeed frustrating to have several instances of the same app, sure I can go to card view but if my app is no longer there, then I wasted time (I won't try to memorize my last 6 apps when I'm busy) plus it's just stupid to have several instances of the same damn app! :lol:

You don't have to be open-source in order to let some functions be manipulated by the user, if the phone "goes wrong", hey it's the user's fault then!

jesdt

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
if the phone "goes wrong", hey it's the user's fault then!
The policy of Microsoft is to not allow the user to create a bad user experience at all, even if it'd be by the user's own doing.

they made it DUMMY proof

This pretty much sums it up. The majority of users has no damn clue what multitasking, it's just the computer nerds that feel like they need total control over their device. Maybe they can manage it, but the average user can and certainly will eventually screw it up because he has no idea what he is doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786