I want to immerse myself in Windows Live Services and see if I could go Googless.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
But man, I am on my "hotmail" page, and I will be damned if I can figure out how to use it. I thought I had an @live.com email address, but when I send email to it, nothing shows up. If I send to @hotmail.com, I get a permanent failure.

What I would like to do is really sip the Kool-aid and use my phone for a month the way Microsoft wants me to use it, and completely forgo all of my Google stuff, and see what my experience is. But I think maybe MS could use a little TLC in the user interface department on this Live page, lemme tell ya.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, here is a problem. My @live.com email address is actually a whole 'nother Live ID. I wonder if I can merge them somehow... I am hestitant to create a whole new email address... but my existing Live ID has my Xbox on it.....

argh.

ronclone

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Come on guys... I get it. But google maps and search are better than bings... As for hotmail, never had a problem with it. Reader its unique though.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, here is a problem. My @live.com email address is actually a whole 'nother Live ID. I wonder if I can merge them somehow... I am hestitant to create a whole new email address... but my existing Live ID has my Xbox on it.....

argh.

I don't know which one is which, but you can add an email address to your hotmail address in the account settings, get all your email in one inbox.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I don't know which one is which, but you can add an email address to your hotmail address in the account settings, get all your email in one inbox.

Right... but it wont let you add an existing live.com address. It has to be some other address or a brand new live account.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Come on guys... I get it. But google maps and search are better than bings... As for hotmail, never had a problem with it. Reader its unique though.

I agree that there's simply no reason to try to go full-bore, even though I am mostly in Live services myself.

It's a good idea to use the services that are integrated into the OS you use, but I wouldn't go transferring everything over unless you really think it will be an advantage to you.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

I can't compare the maps, but Bing's get me where I need to go everytime. As for search, Bing is better. Sorry. I've ran multiple tests.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
But man, I am on my "hotmail" page, and I will be damned if I can figure out how to use it. I thought I had an @live.com email address, but when I send email to it, nothing shows up. If I send to @hotmail.com, I get a permanent failure.

What I would like to do is really sip the Kool-aid and use my phone for a month the way Microsoft wants me to use it, and completely forgo all of my Google stuff, and see what my experience is. But I think maybe MS could use a little TLC in the user interface department on this Live page, lemme tell ya.

I don't think it's really a problem with MS. I use all LIVE services and never have encountered this. What LIVE address are you using on your phone?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site

I guess its a matter of opinion. I have been using Bing search for almost 2 years now and I have found everything I need. Sure Google maps has arguably more features than Bing Maps, but so far I haven't missed it since I switched from Android.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
is that new? I added two Live accounts to my hotmail in the past, both existing.

Maybe... when I try to just add my other live email address to my hotmail, it says "The email address is already taken. Please choose another one".

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

lol I don't do it to be cool though. I mostly end up caught by MS ecosystem without knowing, like hey I have a PC, hey I got an xbox, oh I use live messenger and office and hotmail etc...

As far as google, I don't really need any of their services except youtube.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I can't see the point of ever going entirely one way for the sake of it (not that I could - I frequently use google search for work and bing simply isn't as good at getting the right results).

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I have had a hotmail account for years that I only recently activated because I thought it was required when you activate a Windows phone.
I still use Yahoo as my primary email as well as Flikr for my photos. Sorry, but for some reason if Microsoft needs any polish.
It's with Skydrive, I seem to find their photos rather inferior in quality and size.
With that said I actually enjoy Bings search and maps, especially Bing's different homepage each day, with their bits of trivia about it.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I finally got it up and running, but I had to switch my gamertag from one live ID to another, then reset my phone. It will be interesting if nothing else, to see where MS is in the whole "ecosystem" thing compared to Google, which I use extensively. I hope they release Skype and Lync soon.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I tried to do a full switch but couldn't do it. I prefer the look of google services. I prefer the features. Live services aren't bad but I just feel more productive in the google universe.

I also need Google Voice and reader. I prefer google talk over messenger, gmail over hotmail and google docs over office. Calendars are equal for me, I can use either.

The sole reason I don't use bing is because I can't filter by date.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb