Let's settle this "Bing v Google" argument.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's the deal.

Go to this site: Blind Search

It's a "blind search test." You type in a query, it gives you two lists of results, one from Google and one from Bing, but doesn't tell you which is which. Then you vote for which you think has the better search results. That simple.

Here's what you do: type in five queries and record the queries and which engine you ended up voting for for each, then report them back to here.

I am a Bing advocate, and here are my results. Remember, be honest!

Sony Vaio - Bing
Windows Phone 7 Web Marketplace - Google
Deer vs dog - Bing
Shutup woman get on my horse - undecided
Anon attacking Facebook - Google

Those are my results after five searches. Have fun :)

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't care about results. They are both close enough for me.

The problem with bing is you can't search by a time frame which makes google the winner for me.

donnydonny#WP

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
i get different search results from using Bing on a computer (not that bad) and Bing Search on WP7 (not so great). This is my biggest complaint against Bing since that was my first experience with it. The "desktop" version doesn't seem so bad.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I think each search engine has its own strengths and weaknesses. I typically found general information faster on Bing but occasionally when I need to find info about a specific person I get better results with Google. However, uses search results to sell more ads, not being an advocate of ads means I typically try to stay away from Google search. I don't even visit youtube that much anymore because I'm tired of "Ads by Google" popping up.

DarkFears

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
10 to bing 6 to google

Searched a lot of my local area attractions, parks, mountains, history etc. almost all of these went to Bing for better relevancy. Did some other searches on rare music and composers and that seemed to be in googles favor for relevancy.

The only thing I use Google for anymore is shopping, google shopping finds cheaper prices for the stuff im looking for more often for some reason.

TiLoBrown

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Bing wins for me. Why? Because on both road trips my GF used her Droid X on, Bing guessed the correct arrival time even though we still used her GPS directions.

nrguser

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I did a few tests and bing won 3 of the 5.

There are a few problems with this site not showing results correctly though. There were a few I manually typed in myself and got completely different results.

Ninjas was one of them.

Edit: After you do your initial search hit the search button again and results will change or change the order in which they are shown. This test will prove nothing based on someone like myself who looks from the top and goes my way down.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, doesn't Bing admittedly use results from Google? That kind of taints the results, as one search engine piggy-backs on the other's algorithm.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
I've run a number of searches using this website and I've found that it actually doesn't mirror the search results that Google provides in a number of instances.

In other words, its giving different search results than you would find using the real Google. Sometimes it doesn't rank a page the same as the real Google and sometimes it just gives completely different results.

I'd like to see a more accurate blind test than this.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
To be fair, doesn't Bing admittedly use results from Google? That kind of taints the results, as one search engine piggy-backs on the other's algorithm.

Not exactly.

Bing uses Google data as a factor in Bing's algorithm but it doesn't use Google's algorithm.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of biased because you know that the column to the right is Google and the column to the left is Bing. Also they pretty much show the same thing on the first page for everything I typed in, just in a different order. I don't think that you should choose a search engine because it places wpcentral in 2nd on google and first on bing (just an example, I didn't actually search wpcentral). I mean to me as long as it's on the first page it's something I am going to click. The real battle is how their advanced searches perhaps work and also their other applications such as maps, images, news, etc. Idk, that's just my take.

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, I just now noticed after going on bing that they have some rewards program. I'm assuming this is old news but has anyone signed up for this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12