This is Mango?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm really starting to like Zune. Didn't know what it was before I got this phone and have it only because I had to install it to upgrade to mango..its pretty cool. Now if I could only figure out how to play my music on this phone through the car speakers..

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
u must not be using the right apps if u think the live tiles aren't any better than icons. and wp7 is more than an app launcher. im sorry but im going to have to disagree with u and downvote u.

WAIT A SECOND. That dude really said Live Tiles were no better than icons? Wow.

Funny how I can see the weather, gold's current price, WPcentral's latest article title, whether it's my turn in Alphajax or not, my current movie of interest's Rotten Tomatoes rating, whether the eBay item I'm bidding on is still being won by me or if I've been outbid or if the item is currently ending, etc. I could go on, and there are tons of Live Tile apps out there. If you're not using the OS to its full potential, that's your fault.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm really starting to like Zune. Didn't know what it was before I got this phone and have it only because I had to install it to upgrade to mango..its pretty cool. Now if I could only figure out how to play my music on this phone through the car speakers..
that's an easy one, same way ud hook up an iDevice or any other mp3 player.

WAIT A SECOND. That dude really said Live Tiles were no better than icons? Wow.

Funny how I can see the weather, gold's current price, WPcentral's latest article title, whether it's my turn in Alphajax or not, my current movie of interest's Rotten Tomatoes rating, whether the eBay item I'm bidding on is still being won by me or if I've been outbid or if the item is currently ending, etc. I could go on, and there are tons of Live Tile apps out there. If you're not using the OS to its full potential, that's your fault.

yes the live tiles are amazing. the USA today app shows a newspaper format while the iPhone and android just have a static blue "USA TODAY" icon.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My point (entirely missed, I might add) is that the live tiles are just another name for a thing that other systems (widgets, icons) have to some degree. Some give more info, some less.

What I don't get - and what I was trying to get across - is why the focus in marketing etc. is on WP7s different names for things that exist in varying forms elsewhere rather than on what it genuinely does excellently - run fast, smoothly and be intuitive to use. That's it. I'm not literally saying "an icon on iOS is exactly the same as a live tile" and never was. I think they should show the OS doing what it does, not go on about semantics. Joe Public won't care that a tile is called a tile or a hub a hub or a folder or whatever, they care about it working and not being a pain in the backside.

Man, some people on here are desperate to frame anything that's not flat-out praise as criticism.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I get what ur saying dude. I think they call their icons tiles to try and stand out from iPhone and Android. If they can get people to think in terms of "tiles" instead of "icons" they will start increasing mind share which I'm sure they hope will lead to more people interested in buying WP7.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I get what ur saying dude. I think they call their icons tiles to try and stand out from iPhone and Android. If they can get people to think in terms of "tiles" instead of "icons" they will start increasing mind share which I'm sure they hope will lead to more people interested in buying WP7.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

they aren't icons.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
no, an icon is a picture representation of a command, as you linked in your definition. A tile isn't a picture representation of a command, it has a picture, and it can be a command, too, and also has information like location, news, weather, etc. Icons don't.

Is a motorcycle a bicycle because it has two wheels and they're both 'transportation'? No, because a motorcycle has an engine. It's a bicycle plus more. just like a tile is an icon, plus more.

You can call it an icon if you want, doesn't matter to me.

failmatic

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Its a freaking widget and icon. Just like Android OS widgets for apps like Pandora. You'll get an icon for an app launcher, you can pin that to your home screen, and you can also add a Pandora widget to your home screen. It'd be pretty redundant to put both an icon and widget on the home screen for the same app. That is why in WP, if you pin your app to the home screen you'll get an ICON like title, or a WIDGET like tile depending on the app developer implementation of the available api. So yeah Jax, call it what you want but you'll look pretty stupid calling it anything other than TILES. Mainly, you cant call it a widget if it doesn't update anything, and you cant call it an icon if its updating info.

Last edited:

kallemia

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
This!

Its a freaking widget and icon. Just like Android OS widgets for apps like Pandora. You'll get an icon for an app launcher, you can pin that to your home screen, and you can also add a Pandora widget to your home screen. It'd be pretty redundant to put both an icon and widget on the home screen for the same app. That is why in WP, if you pin your app to the home screen you'll get an ICON like title, or a WIDGET like tile depending on the app developer implementation of the available api. So yeah Jax, call it what you want but you'll look pretty stupid calling it anything other than TILES. Mainly, you cant call it a widget if it doesn't update anything, and you cant call it an icon if its updating info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)