We need another major update!!

blackhawk556

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The 4S has been getting meh reviews left and right. This could have caused major problems for wp7 but luckily Apple fumbled. This doesn't mean they've lost, it just gives us a chance to score again and tie the score.

If MS releases a major update in say, 6-9 months, imagine the amount of positive press the platform will receive. Let's say Apple goes back to their old cycle and releases the iphone 6 in June/July because of all the meh reviews and pi$$ed off customer, this won't be good for wp7. Now is the time to catch up, especially with Nokia saying they will release phones more often.

MS has gone on the record that we'll see yearly updates but they are too far behind in market share to do this. The features added in mango are not enough to compete with android/iOS for the next 12 months.

I have a few more things to say but I want to hear your opinions first. So what do you think?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
You can't just have a "major update" though. What are you going to put in it? Stuff like Apple's Siri doesn't spring up overnight.

What's really needed right now is hardware - apart from anything else, you can't keep squeezing more performance out of the same spec level.

blackhawk556

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You can't just have a "major update" though. What are you going to put in it? Stuff like Apple's Siri doesn't spring up overnight.

What's really needed right now is hardware - apart from anything else, you can't keep squeezing more performance out of the same spec level.

yes we do need better hardware but remember that the reason why manufactures can't put dual cores, 3d screens, NVIDIA graphics, and higher resolution screens on wp7 phones because the OS doesn't support it. An OS that supports these things allows manufactures to release better phones.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
yes we do need better hardware but remember that the reason why manufactures can't put dual cores, 3d screens, NVIDIA graphics, and higher resolution screens on wp7 phones because the OS doesn't support it. An OS that supports these things allows manufactures to release better phones.

you're off the chain,mango is fine, I just need the Skype integration and transit directions in the Bing and then it's done. already it is way more than enough to compete with Android and iOS especially since they didn't really add anything.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Average users (not us) are not buying WP devices because they don't know anything about them. What MS needs now is more exposure. Everything else will follow.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well im pretty sure we gona get TANGO in like 4-5 months .. and Apollo in 10-12 months...

we haven’t even scratch the surface of MANGO yet.. so no need for another Update till they atlases capitalize on the Features mango has to offer.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is dead on. No one I know, knows what WP7 is. If I didn't mention it to my brother and a friend, they would have went with Android, because that's what they see. IDK what MS is waiting for to get the commercials/ads campaign going. But they taking their sweet time.

I've yet to see one commercial about Mango or WP7 in the past two months. What gives. [of course there's no Mango commercials two months ago, but there were a few WP7 ads.]
Exactly. Average users (not us) are not buying WP devices because they don't know anything about them. What MS needs now is more exposure. Everything else will follow.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
no marketing and little carrier support. if that isn't fixed, windows phone is going to cruise along below 10% for a long time.

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I need Flash and I need some new accent colors (i.e. gray) or my next phone is going to be an Android, and I'm sorry about that.

Can't look at the jelly bean colors any longer. Can't read about yet another useful app that's availble for iPhone and Android.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You won't be getting flash. I agree about the accent colors. I'm sure a app will be released [xda] for that soon enough.

I slightly agree that Android and IOS got more snazzy apps, but I think that'll change once devs start spitting out more Mango apps.
I need Flash and I need some new accent colors (i.e. gray) or my next phone is going to be an Android, and I'm sorry about that.

Can't look at the jelly bean colors any longer. Can't read about yet another useful app that's availble for iPhone and Android.

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
You won't be getting flash. I agree about the accent colors. I'm sure a app will be released [xda] for that soon enough.

I slightly agree that Android and IOS got more snazzy apps, but I think that'll change once devs start spitting out more Mango apps.

The latest numbers show WP7 actually declined a bit; nothing kills developer interest like a shrinking market. Sorry to be a pessimist, but unless Nokia takes off like a rocket - straight up - I think the handwriting is on the wall. MS just buried Zune, and there's lots more room in the crypt.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The latest numbers show WP7 actually declined a bit; nothing kills developer interest like a shrinking market. Sorry to be a pessimist, but unless Nokia takes off like a rocket - straight up - I think the handwriting is on the wall. MS just buried Zune, and there's lots more room in the crypt.

that's not WP7 declining, it's the older WM phones going away (and not being replaced with an equal or greater number of WP7 phones).

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Those numbers combined both WP7 and WinMo into one figure. I doubt that WP7 actually declined, but the last few holdouts are jumping ship from WinMo. That's what hurt the numbers.

I really doubt MS is sleeping. People want nice hardware, and the new phones bring that. I'm sure we'll see an ad blitz when the new phones start getting released. Either that, or MS has a death wish for Windows Phone.

Edit: d'oh, wolf beat me to it

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
MS came out with the voting site for what to change or add in the next updates an when I first read about and went there they were already up to over a hundred pages of ideas so they want to know what WP users want in the apps and features for the os and surely they are going to liten to the input and go with what they think are the best ideas. If you havent checked it out go there are put in your two cents worth.

jim_h

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
MS came out with the voting site

Once, when asked what market research Apple did for the iPhone, Jobs said something like "None. It's not the users' job to know what they want."

This is what has really separated Apple from MS. Listening to users is great, but MS will take that list, drop the truly cool, innovative, new ideas that came from 2% of the respondents, and come up with a safe, easily acheivable 'feature list' for their next boring, incremental update.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I agree that lots of updates keep products exciting. I also agree that more advertising sounds needed. I see a lot of ads for WP7, but I'm an Internet knucklehead. I dont watch hardly any television.

mapexvenus

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
While I believe that WP7 is still a first-gen mobile operating system, it is still very refreshingly different from everything else that is out there. I believe that Mango is a step in the direction, and while I am tempted to jump on the bandwagon and say 'more updates!!!', what I really think that this platform needs is more applications. I still see a lot of critical applications missing in the area of banking, entertainment, etc. This is what will drive more users to this platform. This combined with better advertising and promotions by MS and the carriers will go a long way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99