Be honest guys, could WP7 fail completly?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Windows Mobile (which is what WP7 is) has been around for years and Microsoft is like a billion dollar company. If anything, they'll revamp like they did before.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Of course it could fail, but why bother worrying about it? Just enjoy your phone and convince your friends to get one if you can. Other than that there's really nothing else you can do.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
If it did, MS would replace it with something else - and hopefully have the sense to make whatever it is compatible to some degree. The possibility of one of the biggest software companies in the world not having a presence in the mobile market is pretty much zero.

fred.hillen

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Nokia will keep WP7 in the game. Apollo will win it. Think of designs like the motorolla atrix but with windows 8 when you dock it, yet the phone is running all the same apps and UI as WP7.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Dream of where computing will be in 3-5 years. Now think of Microsoft "without" a mobile presence in that dream. Can't exist, right. So basically, the stakes are too high for WP to fail. They will throw everything they have at this and will ultimately succeed.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Reactions: ikkf

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Microsoft has had Windows Mobile for a long time. Microsoft is too big financially to fail. Anybody remember when Microsoft was getting fined a million dollars a day? Analyst laughed and said it was pocket change to Bill Gates.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Dream of where computing will be in 3-5 years. Now think of Microsoft "without" a mobile presence in that dream. Can't exist, right. So basically, the stakes are too high for WP to fail. They will throw everything they have at this and will ultimately succeed.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

+1 Agreed! :cool:

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't think so. MS has deep pockets and they will do whatever it takes to stay in the mobile game, even if they have to lose money for years before they start turning a profit from it. Look what they have coming up:

- Nokia, world's 3rd biggest smartphone manufacturer (and the best IMO) going exclusively with WP7 on their smartphones
- Samsung, world's 2nd biggest smartphone manufacturer (and dangerously close to overtaking Apple), settling with MS and forming a closer relationship with them (read: making and advertising more Windows Phones)
- much more integration between Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox

I think it's almost certain that Windows Phone will become the 3rd place smartphone OS within the next year, and they'll continue to make steady gains after that.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone is now part of their overall global strategy along with the Xbox and Windows 8 tablets. Microsoft will support WP even if they only sell 1 a year.

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Depends on the definition of fail. wp7 already failed to make much inroad in the market place and I don't see that changing anytime soon. However, mobile is part of windows now. Windows 8 will have mobile in mind for sure, so M$ will keep at it. With Nokia's help, it should manage to hold a minority position in the market(10%-20%?). I wouldn't call that success, but it's not a complete fail.

I don't know who wp7 is targeting though. wp7 is extremely uncustomizable, yet it does not work in the enterprise environment. Young people probably won't spend a lot of money on a second tier device that can't even have customized background. Professionals probably need it work with their companies' network. Remove those two groups, the market suddenly becomes much smaller. That's said, wp7 has the advantage of integration with Xbox and hopefully Windows 8 later on. We will see.

duke1231

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Like I have said in other posts. Look it the Xbox, when it came out, Playstation was killing in the market and people were laughing at the xbox. MS just put s*** loads of cash into it and now look at it, number one. They have also showed with the xbox that they could evolve, and adjust to the times by making the xbox into a entertainment box that goes well beyond video games. All I see is dust behind the xbox now.

archer75

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, they did that with the xbox. They worked hard to make it the market leader and threw tons of cash at it.

They aren't doing that with windows phone 7. There are no advertisements. There aren't enough apps by a long shot.

Honestly as of right now they don't seem that interested in WP7. At least not the way they were back when xbox launched.

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Like I have said in other posts. Look it the Xbox, when it came out, Playstation was killing in the market and people were laughing at the xbox. MS just put s*** loads of cash into it and now look at it, number one. They have also showed with the xbox that they could evolve, and adjust to the times by making the xbox into a entertainment box that goes well beyond video games. All I see is dust behind the xbox now.

It's slightly different from the xbox market. All of the big three were closed shops. Even then, WII won out until it stopped innovating.

In the smartphone market, you got Android which is highly diversified and Apple which is richer than Microsoft. The strength of wp7 will have to be integration. Xbox, Office, Windows, that's a potent mix. Let's see whether M$ can execute on it.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
it wont ever die , looking at what WP7.5 acn do ... and what WP8 (windows 8 ecosystem) WILL DO..... it int gona die

even is MS does ZERo marketing and store reps keep pushing you away from WP7 it still won’t die.. why you ask.. its simple...

Dont YOU have a wp7?
I was told not to get one by the store rep , I saw Zero Adds for it.. and I still got it DAY 1! Lol and im sure its the same for 80% of the WP7 users.

lol.. MS like any other big company has a Bunch of fanboys :) and followers. even if they stay at 5-10% shares its enought to keep them going.

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I think there is always that possibility. I don't believe (hope) it's very likely they will abandon it as it seems to fit into thier plans for the future too much. I mean it's all part of the Xbox, Windows 8, WP compatibility theme they keep touting. I believe if they just start pushing it, advertising, and showing what the OS really all about more then they will make it successful. Maybe not first place but I for one am good with that. My only real fear is I would have to choose between switching to Android, or worse yet, return to an iPhone in the future.

@species5618, there is a small, and I mean small level of customization, not to the level I am sure any of us would like but I can guarantee that my start screen looks nothing like yours when held up next to it except for the Metro theme. I mean, the apps I have, the pictures and live tiles I use, the placement, color, make it somewhat specific to my tastes. You can't say that with the iPhone, they are always going to be a grid of icons. I think we can both agree that MS need to step up the personal customiztion if they really want to attract people to their phones.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not too sure the lack of apps is a bad thing. Since going WP im much more productive with my business because my phone is now a communications tool rather than a toy that distracts me.

I don't spend nearly as much time "playing " with my phone as I do using it to get things done (email, text, editing docs, etc). If there were more apps, I'd probably be a lot more distracted like I was using ios.

To be honest, I like it.

Sent from my non mindless sheep iphone Samsung Focus using Board Express

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
No, I don't think so. MS has deep pockets and they will do whatever it takes to stay in the mobile game, even if they have to lose money for years before they start turning a profit from it. Look what they have coming up:

- Nokia, world's 3rd biggest smartphone manufacturer (and the best IMO) going exclusively with WP7 on their smartphones
- Samsung, world's 2nd biggest smartphone manufacturer (and dangerously close to overtaking Apple), settling with MS and forming a closer relationship with them (read: making and advertising more Windows Phones)
- much more integration between Windows, Windows Phone, and Xbox

I think it's almost certain that Windows Phone will become the 3rd place smartphone OS within the next year, and they'll continue to make steady gains after that.
don't forget HTC.
Depends on the definition of fail. wp7 already failed to make much inroad in the market place and I don't see that changing anytime soon. However, mobile is part of windows now. Windows 8 will have mobile in mind for sure, so M$ will keep at it. With Nokia's help, it should manage to hold a minority position in the market(10%-20%?). I wouldn't call that success, but it's not a complete fail.

I don't know who wp7 is targeting though. wp7 is extremely uncustomizable, yet it does not work in the enterprise environment. Young people probably won't spend a lot of money on a second tier device that can't even have customized background. Professionals probably need it work with their companies' network. Remove those two groups, the market suddenly becomes much smaller. That's said, wp7 has the advantage of integration with Xbox and hopefully Windows 8 later on. We will see.

it will change very soon, analysts are predicting wp7 to overtake iOS and will surely overtake BB if it already hadn't done so. and its MS not M$, don't be ignorant.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Apparently you have no clue what Office 365, Exchange, Lync, or SharePoint is. WP7 is a great choice for businesses. See this link: Windows Phone for Business | Microsoft Office 365 | Windows Phone 7

Also, the general public doesn't care about customization. iPhone is beyond successful and it is just as uncustomizable, and was beyond successful before they allowed you to change your wallpaper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99