Zip Files

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to unzip zip files from the phone itself? And with mango are apps still not granted access to the phones file system? *sigh

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
All I ask for is a simple file explorer, to where I can view saved files, unzip files. And we can actually save stuff from the mobile browser to the phone, then it can be stored, instead of now you can only play music files, but u can't save them.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I think the best solution - given the app sandboxing limiting access to the filesystem - would be an option in the browser to 'save to SkyDrive', then any app can load files from your SkyDrive account.

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh and i tried to save an office doc to my phone from my yahoo accnt. the phone said "there is no associated program associated with this doc" or something like that, but then when i tried to open the same doc from my live accnt then it worked just fine...is microsoft forcing me to use their services for some functions?

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Oh and i tried to save an office doc to my phone from my yahoo accnt. the phone said "there is no associated program associated with this doc" or something like that, but then when i tried to open the same doc from my live accnt then it worked just fine...is microsoft forcing me to use their services for some functions?

Microsoft isn't"forcing" anything onto u. keep in mind when u get an OS by any company, of course the email services from that company will be the best one to use example Gmail with android etc. hate when people think that when they buy a Microsoft product that Microsoft is forcing things when that isn't exactly the case.

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft isn't"forcing" anything onto u. keep in mind when u get an OS by any company, of course the email services from that company will be the best one to use example Gmail with android etc. hate when people think that when they buy a Microsoft product that Microsoft is forcing things when that isn't exactly the case.

Im not talking about integration or anything like that, but I cant download a doc from any other email accnt then my hotmail? is a bit ridiculous if it is indeed a limitation from Microsoft itself.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I thought we covered everything:

1. No, no unzipping on phone.
2. No, no file explorer on phone and no way for 3rd parties to run one.
3. You can save .doc files from yahoo email to your phone, just not to Skydrive from yahoo.

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I thought we covered everything:

1. No, no unzipping on phone.
2. No, no file explorer on phone and no way for 3rd parties to run one.
3. You can save .doc files from yahoo email to your phone, just not to Skydrive from yahoo.

I was typing my post above this one, before you made your post.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Change the download location from 'skydrive' to phone. it won't move it to skydrive directly, which I think SHOULD be possible.

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Change the download location from 'skydrive' to phone. it won't move it to skydrive directly, which I think SHOULD be possible.

How do you propose I do this? I tried to open the doc again from my yahoo and the specific message was "There is no application associated with this file type"

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Let's go through the steps - when you open the email, are you clicking on the 'download all' link or the doc icon?

When you click the doc icon, does it go through the little virus scan first, then you can hit the 'continue'? If so, is that when you get the 'no application' msg?

What's the document extension? .doc? .docx?

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Upon opening the email, it's an attachment so there is a paperclip icon, (I just noticed this and possibly this is my problem?) Upon clicking it downloads, then when finished a white page with one of the corners folded appears in place of the paperclip. Then when I click that I get the message that there is no associated application. The same happens with Zip files( but instead of a white page there a zipped folder icon)

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
on yahoo, I open the email and there's an 'attachments text', then underneath is my doc file icon (says DOC right on the icon). Is yours attached as a zip or other type?

Have you checked your Office app to see if it's there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077