Is there any way to unzip zip files from the phone itself? And with mango are apps still not granted access to the phones file system? *sigh
    10-07-2011 05:04 PM
    You want apps that have access to the "phones file system?"

Sounds like you need WinMo.
    10-07-2011 06:36 PM
    All I ask for is a simple file explorer, to where I can view saved files, unzip files. And we can actually save stuff from the mobile browser to the phone, then it can be stored, instead of now you can only play music files, but u can't save them.
    10-07-2011 10:35 PM
    I think the best solution - given the app sandboxing limiting access to the filesystem - would be an option in the browser to 'save to SkyDrive', then any app can load files from your SkyDrive account.
    10-09-2011 05:01 PM
    well with office files,PDF and picture files u can save them if ud like to.
    10-09-2011 05:22 PM
    Oh and i tried to save an office doc to my phone from my yahoo accnt. the phone said "there is no associated program associated with this doc" or something like that, but then when i tried to open the same doc from my live accnt then it worked just fine...is microsoft forcing me to use their services for some functions?
    10-09-2011 05:33 PM
    Oh and i tried to save an office doc to my phone from my yahoo accnt. the phone said "there is no associated program associated with this doc" or something like that, but then when i tried to open the same doc from my live accnt then it worked just fine...is microsoft forcing me to use their services for some functions?
    Microsoft isn't"forcing" anything onto u. keep in mind when u get an OS by any company, of course the email services from that company will be the best one to use example Gmail with android etc. hate when people think that when they buy a Microsoft product that Microsoft is forcing things when that isn't exactly the case.
    HeyCori likes this.
    10-09-2011 05:39 PM
    The whole point of a phone OS is to do fun things, not work!
    10-09-2011 06:12 PM
    Microsoft isn't"forcing" anything onto u. keep in mind when u get an OS by any company, of course the email services from that company will be the best one to use example Gmail with android etc. hate when people think that when they buy a Microsoft product that Microsoft is forcing things when that isn't exactly the case.
    Im not talking about integration or anything like that, but I cant download a doc from any other email accnt then my hotmail? is a bit ridiculous if it is indeed a limitation from Microsoft itself.
    10-09-2011 06:15 PM
    Im not talking about integration or anything like that, but I cant download a doc from any other email accnt then my hotmail? is a bit ridiculous if it is indeed a limitation from Microsoft itself.
    then just use hotmail, u don't have to be an ***** about it.
    10-09-2011 08:23 PM
    I tried this, just downloaded a .doc file from my yahoo email to my phone. no problem.
    10-09-2011 08:42 PM
    If anyone has anything useful to add to the thread I would appreciate it
    10-09-2011 08:43 PM
    I thought we covered everything:

1. No, no unzipping on phone.
    2. No, no file explorer on phone and no way for 3rd parties to run one.
    3. You can save .doc files from yahoo email to your phone, just not to Skydrive from yahoo.
    10-09-2011 08:48 PM
    I tried this, just downloaded a .doc file from my yahoo email to my phone. no problem.
    Hmm, im gna try it again
    10-09-2011 08:49 PM
    I thought we covered everything:

1. No, no unzipping on phone.
    2. No, no file explorer on phone and no way for 3rd parties to run one.
    3. You can save .doc files from yahoo email to your phone, just not to Skydrive from yahoo.
    I was typing my post above this one, before you made your post.
    10-09-2011 08:51 PM
    Change the download location from 'skydrive' to phone. it won't move it to skydrive directly, which I think SHOULD be possible.
    10-09-2011 08:51 PM
    Change the download location from 'skydrive' to phone. it won't move it to skydrive directly, which I think SHOULD be possible.
    How do you propose I do this? I tried to open the doc again from my yahoo and the specific message was "There is no application associated with this file type"
    10-09-2011 08:55 PM
    Let's go through the steps - when you open the email, are you clicking on the 'download all' link or the doc icon?

When you click the doc icon, does it go through the little virus scan first, then you can hit the 'continue'? If so, is that when you get the 'no application' msg?

What's the document extension? .doc? .docx?
    10-09-2011 08:57 PM
    Upon opening the email, it's an attachment so there is a paperclip icon, (I just noticed this and possibly this is my problem?) Upon clicking it downloads, then when finished a white page with one of the corners folded appears in place of the paperclip. Then when I click that I get the message that there is no associated application. The same happens with Zip files( but instead of a white page there a zipped folder icon)
    10-09-2011 09:06 PM
    on yahoo, I open the email and there's an 'attachments text', then underneath is my doc file icon (says DOC right on the icon). Is yours attached as a zip or other type?

Have you checked your Office app to see if it's there?
    10-09-2011 09:09 PM
    on yahoo, I open the email and there's an 'attachments text', then underneath is my doc file icon (says DOC right on the icon). Is yours attached as a zip or other type?

Have you checked your Office app to see if it's there?
    I re attached the file from my pc to the email, then sent it to the phone, and now they're both attached as docx, and work fine, idk maybe I just attached the original one wrong or something. Anyway thanks for the help
    10-09-2011 09:16 PM
    glad it worked out
    10-09-2011 09:20 PM
    would it be possible now with mango for someone to make a app called Zip Manager or something that lets u d/l Zip and/or Rar files to that app and the zip files are only accessible within that app to open documents and other files contained in them and manage them in that app?

same with mp3 or other files be able to manage them in that app only?

the Free Music app made me think of that we cant d/l mp3s through the browser and add to the device library but we can manage the mp3s we download through that app and with the paid version we can sync the files over

could something similiar to this be made to manage zip and rar files????
    10-10-2011 10:26 PM
    There is an app called Archiver which enables you to access zip files on the phone.
    11-02-2013 02:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD