Folders?

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
When Miriam Joire said, that geeks need a new phone every year I readily disaggreed. But when I thought about it I had to admit, that she's probably right :) I need a new phone next year and I seriously consider a WP7 phone. However, I see no sense in sorting apps in alphabetical order since I tend to forget the names (why should I remember?!). I always have to sort them for their use; navigation, messaging, news, etc. Its just the way I work and it's absolutely necessary for me to be productive (or entertained). During my research, I didn't find the slightest hint for any sort of folders I could stuff my apps in. Are there none? Please tell me, WP7.5 got folders. It would be a dealbreaker for me :(

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
waving.gif

welcome.gif

You are quite correct Kilaj, there is currently no folder support in WP7.

It may arrive as a feature in the future who knows.

I don't miss folders at all from my iphone days but can see why some would prefer / desire them.

I get on famously with all my apps in alphabetical order, but I understand this isn't ideal for everone.

Welcome along to WPC :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well if they intend to add folders, i suspect it may be later rather than sooner, but hey what do I know Kilaj ? ;)

Would be a nice addition, as you aren't the first person i've heard wanting folders. :)

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for folder access, much as Apple doesn't want their users 'confused' by a file system, Microsoft seems to be playing the same game.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
While it would be nice for folders, one of the things I've noticed in using my WP7 after spending time in iOS is that I have less need for apps on WP7. I have less apps as more is built into the phone OS than with iOS.

Bing Vision, Music, and Local Scout would all have to be handled by three separate apps in iOS...on WP7 they're thoughtfully placed in the under the search button.

Games, which took up a good amount of space on iOS pages, are all located under the Xbox live app (so that's a folder of sorts).

The apps I use on a regular basis are pinned to my start page where I have easy access to them with live tiles. And in fact you want those on the start page because they might be able to give you info you want without actually having to open it. Weather? I used to have to into the app to see what today's high/low and current temperature were. With the live tile, not any more.

Other apps I need are in the app menu, but I have few enough of them that it's not hard to locate them.

My thoughts on the issue.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the above post. Folders aren't as critical on WP7 as in android and IOS. I could see it bring nice to have, but not a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
When Miriam Joire said, that geeks need a new phone every year I readily disaggreed. But when I thought about it I had to admit, that she's probably right :) I need a new phone next year and I seriously consider a WP7 phone. However, I see no sense in sorting apps in alphabetical order since I tend to forget the names (why should I remember?!). I always have to sort them for their use; navigation, messaging, news, etc. Its just the way I work and it's absolutely necessary for me to be productive (or entertained). During my research, I didn't find the slightest hint for any sort of folders I could stuff my apps in. Are there none? Please tell me, WP7.5 got folders. It would be a dealbreaker for me :(

I understand your concern, however I must say that I do not miss folders coming from Android and BlackBerry at all. But, I organize my favorite apps by organizing where their tiles are on the Start screen. It works like a charm :)

Mateosmith

May 12, 2011
Visit site
While it would be nice for folders, one of the things I've noticed in using my WP7 after spending time in iOS is that I have less need for apps on WP7. I have less apps as more is built into the phone OS than with iOS.

Bing Vision, Music, and Local Scout would all have to be handled by three separate apps in iOS...on WP7 they're thoughtfully placed in the under the search button.

Games, which took up a good amount of space on iOS pages, are all located under the Xbox live app (so that's a folder of sorts).

The apps I use on a regular basis are pinned to my start page where I have easy access to them with live tiles. And in fact you want those on the start page because they might be able to give you info you want without actually having to open it. Weather? I used to have to into the app to see what today's high/low and current temperature were. With the live tile, not any more.

Other apps I need are in the app menu, but I have few enough of them that it's not hard to locate them.

My thoughts on the issue.

100% agree

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
You could pin a category tile for each of your most used categories to your start screen. Then put your mist used apps under that tile. there are plenty of apps that allow you to make custom tiles.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have to agree with the OP on this one. I have 46 tiles on my Start screen, which I will admit is too many. But with 145 apps on my list (not including games) it's not easy to remember each apps name. So apps that I don't use that often, but want quick access to are on the Start screen, sort of grouped together.

Would much rather have the ability to create custom hubs, that I could name and then link up to maybe 8 apps, so the tile could show 4 mini tiles on each side. Basically what Schapman did with Touch Xperience.

If I had 4 of those hubs, I could reduce my Start screen tiles to maybe 24-26, and have better access to my apps. Might even encourage me to look for more.

Don't want or need a full file system, but don't understand why Microsoft can't release the API to devs so they can link to apps. Does not seem lie such a big deal.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Jalik

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Okay, this sounds good! I rarely play games on my android mobile friend but nevertheless I happen to have more games on it than anything else ;) If the Xbox hub (or whatever its called) works like a folder for all the games I install I would be fine with it.

Big D5 said:
You could pin a category tile for each of your most used categories to your start screen. Then put your mist used apps under that tile. there are plenty of apps that allow you to make custom tiles.

A third party app you be needed for such category tiles? I can have a news category for example and somehow link my news apps to it? It sounds like the feature I was looking for...

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

How do you pin a category tile?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i dont think will EVER see folders.

what is more likely is being able to creat our OWN HUBs.. (like xbox live hub , people hub ect.. ) and then being able to customize the hub with what ever info youw ant on it.

i for one would like a APP hub and not just a list of my 200apps.

Iphone has Colums. , WP has a list. lol

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Don't want or need a full file system, but don't understand why Microsoft can't release the API to devs so they can link to apps. Does not seem lie such a big deal.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

I can understand it, bad dev code could possibly screw the start screen and we'll be back where we were with wm6.5. with all the other methods discussed in this thread I don't see this as a big deal. wp7 isn't an app launcher like iOS is

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Folders would be great. That app list can grow pretty quick. Being able to group like apps into a folder or hub would be a welcome addition.

theman60099

Banned
Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Folders would be great. That app list can grow pretty quick. Being able to group like apps into a folder or hub would be a welcome addition.

it's already like this, but in a different way. games appear in games, music and video apps appear under music+videos photo apps appear in pictures and news and search apps etc will appear in Bing search

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
True, i'd like to group my social network together, my workout apps together, things like that.
it's already like this, but in a different way. games appear in games, music and video apps appear under music+videos photo apps appear in pictures and news and search apps etc will appear in Bing search

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb