Tellme Conversational Voice VS Siri

pwnisher06

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I must say that I am loving the new 7.5 Mango OS. I have had at least 1 phone that has had the following OS: IOS, WebOS, and Android. However, I like 7.5 Mango the best. My only gripe, and this is a big one - why have they not rolled out with true conversational voice like the iPhone will come out with?

Prior to learning more about Siri, I thought the integrated voice for 7.5 Mango was pure awesome, but now in comparison to Siri - it's not as exciting =(. I just don't get Microsoft's logic in regards to staying competitive.

Do any of you know when Windows will implement Tellme, so we as WP users can experience true conversational voice?

Please let me know.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd want Microsoft to check with their users before implementing something like Siri - it's just not a feature I care for right now.

Windows Phone has competitive advantages like Xbox Live and Live integration, it doesn't necessarily need to match features just for the sake of it.

just my 2 cents.

pwnisher06

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, aside from Voice - I am all in 100% for Windows. However, and since Mango - I use voice all of the time. If Siri is going to be anything like the live demo's - I am going to be bummed. In my opinion, conversational voice is going to be huge, and I want it for windows, LOL.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
If the majority want it, then I'm all for it.

I do like the Microsoft set up the site to take and vote on suggestions, though, it's a good step versus the "Whatever Steve says" Apple direction.

And I would really love to try out Siri in the real world. Does it really do conversational voice, or is it just picking out key words? I'm sure you can say 'make an appointment with John at 6' and have that work, but will 'hey let's meet Johnny after work' do anything?

It's all neat stuff, I'm not knocking it at all, I just can't see everyone using voice commands for everything unless it has flawless execution every time.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If the majority want it, then I'm all for it.

I do like the Microsoft set up the site to take and vote on suggestions, though, it's a good step versus the "Whatever Steve says" Apple direction.

And I would really love to try out Siri in the real world. Does it really do conversational voice, or is it just picking out key words? I'm sure you can say 'make an appointment with John at 6' and have that work, but will 'hey let's meet Johnny after work' do anything?

It's all neat stuff, I'm not knocking it at all, I just can't see everyone using voice commands for everything unless it has flawless execution every time.

I heard from other people that it requires the use of key words.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I agree, I really do wonder how well Siri will work in the "real world" experience, with noise and all in the background. So far, I'm happy with "Mango" voice, only gripe, which is the OEM headset earphones, doesn't always capture what I'm saying. If I just use the mic on the phone, no problems at all.

J4rrod

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I must say that I am loving the new 7.5 Mango OS. I have had at least 1 phone that has had the following OS: IOS, WebOS, and Android. However, I like 7.5 Mango the best. My only gripe, and this is a big one - why have they not rolled out with true conversational voice like the iPhone will come out with?

Prior to learning more about Siri, I thought the integrated voice for 7.5 Mango was pure awesome, but now in comparison to Siri - it's not as exciting =(. I just don't get Microsoft's logic in regards to staying competitive.

Do any of you know when Windows will implement Tellme, so we as WP users can experience true conversational voice?

Please let me know.

Actually TellMe is the software used to do voice dictation on WP7.5.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yea I want to see Siri in the real world. Plus how often are you going to be talking to your phone? In the car only or are you going to do it in public? For me it's only the car and I can wait until I get out of it to schedule a meeting.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yea I want to see Siri in the real world. Plus how often are you going to be talking to your phone? In the car only or are you going to do it in public? For me it's only the car and I can wait until I get out of it to schedule a meeting.

The worst part about using Siri in public is when other people start yelling at your phone.

"iPhone search for..."

"BIG DONKEY C**K!!!"

"Not cool, bro."

failmatic

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally would don't care for Siri. The feature is already included in Mango at the level I want to use it at. What I do want from the current version of TellMe (TM) is add another button for retry. Many time, I want to say something or search for something, it reads my voice wrong or there is some kind of noise in the background or someone said a word loud enough to be picked up by the mic. It'll search for it and I'll have to hold down the button to restart the search.
TM should be able to learn from your voice and customize input for contacts. The reason is, I have many friends who do not have Anglo names and when I want to speak text them, I cant say TEXT THI because it wouldn't recognize the way I say that name.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
One more thing... Siri isn't a new feature. Its been in the appstore since 2010. Lots of people have it on their iPhones already. The new version is integrated into the 4s, and on October 15, everyone who has it on an older phone will lose it, with the only way to get it back being to buy a 4s. Way to screw your customers apple.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft Labs & Research dept. have some pretty advanced versions of TellMe running. I'm pretty sure Windows Phone 8 will have a fairly good sized addition to voice control.

For now, the commands we can use are pretty good, and more than most will use.

I am also VERY happy about the voice used in TellMe vs the Siri voice. Theirs is horrible lol.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
One more thing... Siri isn't a new feature. Its been in the appstore since 2010. Lots of people have it on their iPhones already. The new version is integrated into the 4s, and on October 15, everyone who has it on an older phone will lose it, with the only way to get it back being to buy a 4s. Way to screw your customers apple.

For real? That's harsh.

pwnisher06

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I love the voice features but does anyone else have trouble getting it to type multiple sentences in a text message?

It can't do multiple sentences without it being one long run-on sentence. I have tried to do multiple sentences by ending a sentence by saying "stop", or "period", or "dot", and of course it literally adds the word. I did stumble upon if you were to say "laugh out loud", it will write LOL, and "just kidding" is jk. It will recognize a sentence when asked in a question though - which is interesting.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'd want Microsoft to check with their users before implementing something like Siri - it's just not a feature I care for right now.

Windows Phone has competitive advantages like Xbox Live and Live integration, it doesn't necessarily need to match features just for the sake of it.

just my 2 cents.

iOS 5 has improved gamecenter almost on feature parity if not completely with xbox live and their cloud services. Really those aren't competitive advantages. Especially when the wp7 versions of iOS gamecenter games are 3x more expensive. Even more in some cases.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Pretty sure all their apps are cached in iTunes and they can reinstall it from there, unless apple did something to block it. I know for sure it's not in the app store anymore.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I heard from other people that it requires the use of key words.

Siri also uses ai heavily. That's whatakes it so different and superior to other personal assistants like vlingo, which is superior to telnet for that purpose.

What I love about tellme, though, is the very short time it needs to process tour input. It's way superior to android in that regard, and a bit better than vlingo. Obviously I haven't used Siri so I cannot comment there.

The biggest losers here are co
Panoramic like vlingo, though. First google copied them. Now apple :)

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure all their apps are cached in iTunes and they can reinstall it from there, unless apple did something to block it. I know for sure it's not in the app store anymore.

its been removed from the appstore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077