Tellme Conversational Voice VS Siri

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Let me just say something. I was playing with Bing and used the microsoft and I said Kinect. And it searched the word P.enis >_> at least they No results on the images.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I bet MS is slowly going to add more voice commands to their OS next update commands to access more applications like Calendar, Zune, Xbox etc but I think MS is seeing how Siri really plays out before dropping a huge bomb.

With a MS ecosystem imagine an A.I like Siri which you could use to use multiple devices. So imagine this you call tell your phone and say "Hey turn on my Xbox 360 and go to HBO Go and play Boardwalk empire" with proper networking this can be done." So not only can you control your phone you can control other MS devices with your phone.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If this becomes as wildly popular as other iproducts, I wonder how long it will be before the same folks who are bothered by the use of cellphones in public will start griping about 'that talking phone thing'. Voice command tools are wonderful for the car.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've struggling for about a minute for Bing to search the world Drink correctly. It has send me to brink, mink, pink, booty and bing.

Airanp

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I personally would feel like a bafoon holding a conversation with my phone. I like giving it commands and the voice to text stuff is awesome. I am pretty sure we can see more from the Tell Me service in the future but I for one am not too bothered by Siri. Siri, really?!

Reactions: KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I personally would feel like a bafoon holding a conversation with my phone. I like giving it commands and the voice to text stuff is awesome. I am pretty sure we can see more from the Tell Me service in the future but I for one am not too bothered by Siri. Siri, really?!

Obviously the more involved workflows will happen in privacy. I mean doesn't everyone do their trip bookings like that anyways? Anyways the #1 feature I lust after is the Calendar. Just picking up the phone and telling it I have some appointment would be such a BOON to me because right now I manually enter in everything to Google calendar.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Devs kill old apps - it happens. There's not really much point trying to frame Apple terminating an old, outdated version of something that's now a system feature as an anti-customer conspiracy. It's just progress and not wanting to confuse the situation. Besides, MS cut a load of features that WM6.5 had from WP7 - some of which still aren't back even post-Mango - so I don't think we can really call Apple out on this!

Yes, but MS did not take away those features from wm6.5 users. I've never had an app I bought removed by a company either.

I bet MS is slowly going to add more voice commands to their OS next update commands to access more applications like Calendar, Zune, Xbox etc but I think MS is seeing how Siri really plays out before dropping a huge bomb.

With a MS ecosystem imagine an A.I like Siri which you could use to use multiple devices. So imagine this you call tell your phone and say "Hey turn on my Xbox 360 and go to HBO Go and play Boardwalk empire" with proper networking this can be done." So not only can you control your phone you can control other MS devices with your phone.

Apple has a load of devices as well. Apple TV which can do the same as xbox, macs, air port, time machine, ipods...... they are equal in their ecosystems. Probably a good reason for that.

I see the virtual Assistant converting at least 10 million Android users in the next 6 months.

I find it hard to believe that the users of the most customizable tinkering mobile devices will be switching in mass to apple because of a talking AI which does many things for them.

I must be more private than I thought. I could never use a BT headset because it seems less private than holding my phone to my ear. Even though my voice is just as loud probably, it seems to me that I pay more attention to peoples conversations on BT headsets than I do to people talking with a phone to their ear. I actually give them some privacy. I find myself wanting to scream into the headset of the BT users. :D I just see Siri as a neat gadget I would play with for a month and then hardly ever touch again. At least until its well integrated into cars. As it is now, they show people with headphones on driving cars in the demo. That is illegal in my state. So only other way to get Siri to listen is to find your phone in the cupholder and press the home key.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Obviously the more involved workflows will happen in privacy. I mean doesn't everyone do their trip bookings like that anyways? Anyways the #1 feature I lust after is the Calendar. Just picking up the phone and telling it I have some appointment would be such a BOON to me because right now I manually enter in everything to Google calendar.

Actually my favorite new feature of iOS5 is location based reminders. I could use that a ton. As I am leaving my house is usually when I forget stuff because I am rushing. Of course that sometimes means my phone too. Can Siri help me remember that somehow?

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Regarding safety, there are many scenarios of safe voice-command usage:

* at home
* in the car, but parked
* walking on the street, go into a dark alley to interface with Siri
* skydiving
* grooving while on peyote

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
There is a general low level animosity with Apple here...which is fine. This is a Windows site after all! However remember that Siri isn't something that Apple created over a short period of time. There is some serious science behind it (Siri has been evolving for almost a decade), and Apple has spent a lot of time figuring how to integrate it into IOS. So it's not just another "feature". Most responses (the Android folk especially), is "bah, had something like this since 2008". But this is not just word recognition...Siri understands *context* - that is not something easy to do...

Actually apple did not create siri, they bought them in april and then make it seem like they invented it. Its just another example of how Steve was able to see the future and know what would help sell his devices. Siri looks for keywords just like any other voice recog. Siri does learn though so is more AI than most. I do not see any demos of Siri recommending anything more than you ask from it. When you ask for greek food, it does not recommend the top rated burger joint right next door because in the last 15 new cities you visited you searched for the best burger joint. It only gives you direct answers to your questions. What context are you implying it recognizes anyway? Its a single sentence question. Not much context to be read into.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, but MS did not take away those features from wm6.5 users. I've never had an app I bought removed by a company either.

Apple has a load of devices as well. Apple TV which can do the same as xbox, macs, air port, time machine, ipods...... they are equal in their ecosystems. Probably a good reason for that.

I find it hard to believe that the users of the most customizable tinkering mobile devices will be switching in mass to apple because of a talking AI which does many things for them.

I must be more private than I thought. I could never use a BT headset because it seems less private than holding my phone to my ear. Even though my voice is just as loud probably, it seems to me that I pay more attention to peoples conversations on BT headsets than I do to people talking with a phone to their ear. I actually give them some privacy. I find myself wanting to scream into the headset of the BT users. :D I just see Siri as a neat gadget I would play with for a month and then hardly ever touch again. At least until its well integrated into cars. As it is now, they show people with headphones on driving cars in the demo. That is illegal in my state. So only other way to get Siri to listen is to find your phone in the cupholder and press the home key.

100% true Apple's ecosystem is just as big but it depends if MS can lurk this features in the shadows and release it as a big surprise and just shock the world especially when Windows 8 drops. I think it would be easier to incorporate it in Windows rather than OSX because Windows will be using all 1 platform soon everything will be running Windows 8 even Xbox. For Apple you have IOS, OSX and whatever OS Apple TV runs on. My guess is that they are going to unify all of those platforms soon.

The company who provides the best services will win in the long run hopefully MS fine tunes Zune, Live, Skype, Bing, Skydrive, Hotmail so they can go to war with Apple. I can see a future where you pay X amount of money for unlimited music downloads, movie rents, skype talk time, 50 gigs of skydrive, office, xbox live, TV all in one bundle which can be accessed on every win8 platform I see a huge future in that and MS is the closest company in doing that IMO

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Voice is one of those technologies that has been figured out theoretically but is pathetic in practice. If you went by what patents are out there, your phone should be able to recognize your voice as a digital voice print, use your digital voice print for security, execute commands, learn as you speak, dictate every word you speak accurately, read text in a realistic voice, send your digital voice print to other phones to read your texts or emails in your voice with your accent and/or mannerisms, etc.

Yet, when I try to text someone, "he played some," my phone thinks I'm saying, "get a plate." Somehow, I doubt Siri is much better. There's just something about speech that makes it more frustrating than convenient. After all, we text when we do not wish to speak anyway. People don't really want to talk to their phones. It's much easier to tap an icon than say, "open I'm a WP7," only to have the phone hear something completely different.

I don't mean to be negative, but I predict Siri will be no more successful than any other attempt at interactive voice technology.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
MS should have put two front facing cameras on its phones and had kinect-like features. THAT would be innovative and useful.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I wish Microsoft's other services received as many updates as Bing does. Bing has exploded in the past couple of months with a ton of new features. Now imagine if they did the same thing with TellMe. MS doesn't need a complete Siri imitation to be competitive in the voice market. Just keep pumping new commands into TellMe on a regular basis. And do it OTA so we don't have to wait for carriers to release it. :D

Reactions: KingCrimson

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Uh that video has some pretty far future tech in it. Being able to point to the TV and get it to pick that picture? 5G network? When exactly is MS trying to say this is coming out?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss