Tellme Conversational Voice VS Siri

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Uh that video has some pretty far future tech in it. Being able to point to the TV and get it to pick that picture? 5G network? When exactly is MS trying to say this is coming out?

Can't you do that with Kinect? I thought that's the point of it that you can do motion gestures?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, I do not have an xbox so I thought it was only for gaming. If you can use that to control your TV I may just get an xbox.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
well you want all those nice abilities to share photos from your WP7 to a TV, you're gonna have to shell out $$$ for a media center. XBox now, Windows 8 Mini later.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Siri is cool, hands down and there are some reviews online from people with 4s pre release units, it works well as advertised, some bugs but it is beta.

Mango voice suck to me. If I don't talk to like I am talking to a child or somebody with hearing problems (really slow) it misses stuff. It is not bad but needs work.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I am going to guess MS is going to prepare Tango with more Voice access to applications but not the complete feature set. Once Windows 8 is out the upcoming Fall 2013 you will see Voice control over all of your devices so yeah you can tell your phone to record Game of Thrones on your Xbox Live TV while driving. Now thats the future of Voice Control

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The rumor was the DC chip in the 4s was because of the workload Siri requires. Siri also requires the internet and I would guess to be inoperable without at least 3g. Siri understands a bit better than tellme maybe because it has better programming to guess about words it may have not heard very well. If you slur a couple words together but Siri understands other parts of the sentence it may use a deductive reasoning algorithm to determine the highest probability of what the missing words would be.

Sort of how this rock paper scissors AI works:
Rock-Paper-Scissors: You vs. the Computer - NYTimes.com
This AI has a much simpler set of options to check but I would assume Siri uses similar reasoning.

pwnisher06

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I ended up playing with Siri, and it is not as conversational - or how can I say flawless in how Siri's commercial portraits it to be. It cannot open up apps, like Mango can (I really like this feature). Also, Mango's voice seems to understand when you speak in a question better than siri compared to a statement.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i hate Iphone ,but my budy showed me SIRI .. and HOLY FREAKING CRAP!!!!

Skynet is now ONLINE!!! Ai is taking over....

it was soo cool he ask SIRI to marry him and it said this

* That so sweet max , but im sorry i cant marry you am an AI *

LIKe WTF!! lol got to admit that’s awesome.

and you can pretty much use SIRI to do anything ( text , set appointments, e-mails , open apps , search online.. u name it it does it......)

im a little jealous, it PWNED my WP7, i was embarrassed.

Last edited:

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
When then iphone was first released I instantly thought "finally, the device I've dreamed about for years." Mostly the ability to use touch screen with fingers and not a stylus and access to the real web, not lousy WAP pages.

Of course, in practice it turned out to be hampered by an overly simplistic implementation, took webOS to finally bring the full dream around.

Anyway, Siri like voice is the next big thing I've been wanting. I don't care too much for it being on my phone...where I want it is on numerous tablets mounted to a wall in each room in my house. I want to be able to say "Jarvis, how does my commute look?" And, "Jarvis, anything I need to deal with today?" - "yes sir, you asked me to remind you that your car is on E" all while shaving or something. That to me is the future. That along with pico projectors hidden in your ceilings ready to turn any surface into a touch sensitive screen and motion controls. We very well may not "touch" our devices 5 years from now.

from my HP TouchPad using Communities

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
So what happens when MS fully unveils their Tellme plans and suddenly we have something like Siri but simultaneously available on our phones, TV's (through Kinect), our PC's and our tablets? And it's all linked by our Live ID's and Skydrive?

You see, Siri is really cool, but it's isolated to one device. Sure, it'll likely gradually expand to the iPad 3 and OSX and thus be more useful, but this approach is a bit different than what MS seems to be planning. There approach is more broad, approach Tellme as a tech that will service multiple devices instead of being limited to just one.

By next year, I'm confident we'll see exactly what I stated above at least on a basic level. But as others have mentioned, if the prototype Tellme video has implementation that is 2 or 3 years off, then maybe their approach implements too slowly. We'll see ...

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I asked Siri when will skynet take over the world and she was not helpful. Maybe she was playing dumb because she did not want to give up her friends, but she did not even have a witty remark. Asked her if she was single and she said she could not find a dating app on the phone since none was installed. So, not as witty as most commercials make her out to be. She is great at finding phone numbers though. No more checking google to find a website then checking the contact us section for a number.... Just call "bw3 on main street chicago". Few moments later she asks if you want to call bw3 on main street. Slick.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Tellme sucks balls. I didn't know mango got alot of the features (missed them) but I have tried to use Tellme and it can't do a simple text unless I baby it. No long sentences or anything. Pathetic. No I am not hailing Apple, but Siri works well from the videos of real world use. Tellme needs a GOOD LONG code redesign in recognition and ****, copy Apple's commands, they copied a couple things on the 4S.

I like Windows Phone, but this type of crap makes me wonder if MS will actually make the OS worth staying with.

EDIT: And we shouldn't have to wait till Tango, I would think.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Siri works great at a lot of things. But it has just as many issues as tellme. But since Siri is supposed to be a learning AI, some of those recog problems may get better.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Siri works great at a lot of things. But it has just as many issues as tellme. But since Siri is supposed to be a learning AI, some of those recog problems may get better.

From all the videos I have seen on youtube, it does VERY well and just keep on moving. It does mess up and fail, of course it is software, but damn tellme is not usable to me. I would like to get my truck off my third shift and text my wife hands free, but I can't unless i say a two word text or something. Sad....

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
From what Read TellMe is using croud sourcing so it does learn (that's why it needs network connection to work). It just takes time and more and more users to get it to improve. And since they are croud sourcing for all language, it takes longer.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Like subarunut said, TellMe learns as well...so if the first time it doesn't work that well keep trying and see if it gets better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos