WP Spousal Vindication: "Oh, you're iPhone can't tell you how.....

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I would like to see a comparison of NoDo/Mango vs iOS 1.x-3.x. lol That is all

Why? You need to compare mango with iOS 5, that is what is out now. It makes no sense comparing Windows Phone 1.0 to iOS 1.0 when iOS was out 2 years earlier. That would be like me building a small black and white t.v. with stereo sound and saying I'm farther ahead than sony was when they built their first t.v., or if I started a computer company and sell all in ones with 500mhz processors and say my computers are lightyears ahead of what apple was selling when they first started, completely ignoring what the current competition is doing.

As for what iOS does better than windows phone:
1. Stereo bluetooth support for VIDEO.
2. Notifications
3. iMessage
4. FaceTime
5. iCloud, being to able to easily back-up, restore and change your phone.
6. Folders
7. AirPrint
8. Siri
9. Better at rendering html e-mails
10. Lockscreen shortcuts which on top of camera shortcut also lets you go into iPod and directly into any notification you've received.

What windows phone does better:
1. Better contacts implementation with groups, Facebook, and pin to start support
2. Text messages are better at recognizing phone number, website, address, and e-mails.
3. Live tiles and pin to start shortcuts
4. Search, being able to take pictures and search the web
5. Local scout
6. Facebook integration
7. People hub, pictures hub, xbox, and music hub tie everything into one spot
8. Virtual keyboard is best.
9. Holding back key is easier for multitasking, plus the multitasking ui is better.
10. Different form factors are available, love my dell venue pro because of the physical keyboard and big screen, not an option when I got my iPhone.

I tried to keep my list down to out of box stock OS comparisons, not including hardware features (camera, screen, ect..) or 3rd party support (apps, cases, accessories, ect.....)

Reactions: ikkf

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
not a bad list. I'm not sure iMessage is a bonus b/c of limitations (esp with mango's messaging system), and Folders are a personal preference.

I agree that we can no longer say that Windows Phone is new so it's okay that it doesn't have xx feature. That was fine for the first 6 months or so, but you have to step up and play in the bigs.

The good thing is that now, WP is to the point where the featureset is so complete that there are only a few things missing, none of them really stopping most people from being able to switch (note 'most').

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
not a bad list. I'm not sure iMessage is a bonus b/c of limitations (esp with mango's messaging system), and Folders are a personal preference.

I agree that we can no longer say that Windows Phone is new so it's okay that it doesn't have xx feature. That was fine for the first 6 months or so, but you have to step up and play in the bigs.

The good thing is that now, WP is to the point where the featureset is so complete that there are only a few things missing, none of them really stopping most people from being able to switch (note 'most').

are you kidding? iOS was missing features, some of them basic, through almost two years

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
are you kidding? iOS was missing features, some of them basic, through almost two years

Unfortunately, wp7 had no features over those two years because, well it didn't exist. Unless you want to count WM, which is a totally different OS. Three years ago, Apple could afford to make those mistakes since it had little competitions. Things have changed a lot. I am not saying Microsoft didn't do an admirable job, but it's pointless to think consumer expectations froze in time over the last three years.

9. Holding back key is easier for multitasking, plus the multitasking ui is better.

Why do you think the new multitasking gestures in iOS 5 is worse? Not that I could try the new gestures on my iPad 1. Stupid Apple!

Last edited:

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
chrome Os is much farther along than windows or mac were at this point in thier development, does that mean I should get a chrome book instead of a mac or windows laptop?

Chrome OS is built off of linux and its extremely minimalist. It isn't even meant for use on a primary PC. I have no idea what your point here is.

*EDIT* Oh, and also, chrome OS sucks.

Last edited:

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Chrome OS is built off of linux and its extremely minimalist. It isn't even meant for use on a primary PC. I have no idea what your point here is.

*EDIT* Oh, and also, chrome OS sucks.

because your saying windows mango is farther along than ios 2.0 and therefore should ignore its missing features and I compared that with the analogy of chrome Os 1.0 being further along than windows and mac Os 1.0 were at the time.

fernandez21

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, wp7 had no features over those two years because, well it didn't exist. Unless you want to count WM, which is a totally different OS. Three years ago, Apple could afford to make those mistakes since it had little competitions. Things have changed a lot. I am not saying Microsoft didn't do an admirable job, but it's pointless to think consumer expectations froze in time over the last three years.

Why do you think the new multitasking gestures in iOS 5 is worse? Not that I could try the new gestures on my iPad 1. Stupid Apple!

the gestures are only available on the iPad and I was only referring to iPhone. Holed the back button and getting the card view is much better in my opinion than double tapping the home button and bringing up the quick launcher.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
because your saying windows mango is farther along than ios 2.0 and therefore should ignore its missing features and I compared that with the analogy of chrome Os 1.0 being further along than windows and mac Os 1.0 were at the time.

That's not what I am saying and its still irrelevant because Chrome OS isn't windows competition. It's probably going to converge with Android anyway.

What I am saying is in reference to the six months ago comment. The platform isn't even 1 year old yet. For a six month update schedule I would say they have been doing pretty good at filling gaps. And you can certainly claim new still. I am comparing initial releases. iPhone was missing features that even feature phones had for quite some time but everyone was drinking the kool aid. Windows Phone is missing a few things and people are foaming at the mouth.

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
the gestures are only available on the iPad and I was only referring to iPhone. Holed the back button and getting the card view is much better in my opinion than double tapping the home button and bringing up the quick launcher.

Really, I didn't know that. That sucks. Again, stupid Apple!

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh, Power5, its on!
Superman (4)
Batman (4, the Shumacher trash doesnt count, although he did recently apologize for Batman Forever. he also said WB kept him from making a Nolan-esque Dark Knight movie, right.)
Batman the Animated Series: Mask of the Phantasm was awesome and got a theatrical release
Green Lantern, decent. Not great, but nowhere near as horrible as it was said to be

Hands down the biggest DC cinematic contributions are what is coming out of the DCAU. Absolutely killer animated features, and I think they are almost at 10 with more on the way.

The new Batman Year One movie looks awesome. Yeah, now what????? :p

Animated does not count. Old supermans yes great movies, returns....ehh not as great. Green lantern was pretty good in my eyes. Much better than I thought it was going to be. New Batmans are just awesome. Still does not even come close to what Marvel is pumping out with Iron man, Avengers, Captain america...

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I blame HTC for all of this, the Titan is underwhelming.

Really? Seems amazing to me. What is underwhelming? Smoothest running windows phone it seems. 8mp camera and 1.3mp front which is almost 1mp better than 4s. 4s camera software for the rear shooter is amazing though. Did a comparison with my brothers 4s and my iphone 3g and it was shocking. Though the 3g camera is terrible. Was the only phone to compare to though.

Only got to ask Siri a few questions but it understood me perfectly. Was at cheesecake factory with lots of background noise. I asked, "How many calories are in the mini corndogs on the kids menu?" She caught that completely on the first try. She then started searhing, but the food came out before she could finish. Another absolutely stunning aspect was the 3g speed. Brother and I did a speedtest.net at the same time. He hit 4.7mb/s and my 3g iphone hit .47mb/s. That is just an absolutely astonishing difference. Again, nothing more current than my 3g iphone to compare to unfortunately. Where is my damn Titan ATT?

ikkf

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
^^ that's batman 6.5
We now how batman 7.5 and its far superior to the previous batman.
Exactly. You can pretty much forget any of the pre-2005 Batman movies. They weren't really about Batman, but about the villains.

The quality over quantity thing applies to DC as well. How many Marvel movies have come out over the last decade, something like 20? and only 4 of them were good. 4 DC movies, and 2 of them (Batman Begins and Dark Knight) were awesome.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking about the one that has superman and shazam together, also I rented one that had lex luthor as the good guy from a parallel universe and the justice league as villains.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I have the Justice League animated movie w parallel earths, pretty good. Not really counting animated movies though DC has the edge in that. BTW I just watched Green Lantern and it was much better than everyone made it out to be. Quite surprised so many people said it was so poor, but it wasn't a bad movie at all.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss