Accessing Emoji in Mango

mangon00b

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi gang,

I recently upgraded to Mango and read that emoji support was added to Segoe UI Symbol which is part of Mango. And indeed if I am messaged by a Whatsapp user on an iPhone and they include emoji, then Whatsapp on Mango renders it correctly (but in a neater style consistent with Metro).

Unfortunately this does not appear to be the case in any other application, most notably the (text) Messages application. And even if it did work there, then I have no idea how to access them from the keyboard.

Interestingly if I copy one of the notorious blank squares that are rendered in place of emoji over to Whatsapp and send it, then it renders the emoji correctly.

Is this Mango/emoji situation similar to that on the iPhone in that some application will need to be written to expose that part of the Segoe typeface (like Emoji Free.app)?

Does anyone know how Whatsapp renders the symbols?

I would really like to use emoji, at least to read if not write, on my phone. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

seffyroff

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
+1 - I'd really love to see how to get this working. Is it possible to replace the default messaging app with a replacement that does support Emoji?

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3