05-15-2012 01:55 PM
34 12
tools
    WiFi turns off when the screen is off so maybe your phone is totally without a network connection overnight? Do you leave it plugged in to charge?
    Yes, but always with WiFi switched off too (otherwise it downloads emails all night and keeps waking me up). I'll leave everything enabled tonight and see what happens.
    05-11-2012 02:35 PM
    WiFi turns off when the screen is off so maybe your phone is totally without a network connection overnight? Do you leave it plugged in to charge?
    That is incorrect. When the screen is off, the Wi-Fi also turns off, but it wakes up to sync content.

I usually get updates (applications, e-mails...) in the morning, even if I have my 3G data connection off.
    05-11-2012 03:01 PM
    So, now I must have the phone charging and the screen on to receive alerts? This makes no sense and that's not how the phone works.
    05-11-2012 06:43 PM
    Well I left my phone with the cellular network connected over night. I noticed at about 23:00 that there were two updates waiting, and these downloaded and installed fine. This looks like good news to me, it certainly looks like it may be the cause of the problem.

Well spotted and thanks -- now it'd be nice if Microsoft were to fix the problem too, maybe in WP8. :-)
    05-12-2012 04:39 AM
    I really feel like MS have a problem with wifi or something :P First there's the thing where the phone turns off wifi when the screen is off, now there's this thing too :/
    05-12-2012 06:29 AM
    I really feel like MS have a problem with wifi or something :P First there's the thing where the phone turns off wifi when the screen is off, now there's this thing too :/
    What thing. Remember that you are using a "cell" phone, which implies that it needs a constant cellular connection to work properly. I have 180+ apps and get updates almost daily. Cellular and WiFi is never turned off. And despite having an unlimited data plan, my monthly usage is under 250MB as WiFi does the heavy lifting when the phone is turned on.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    05-12-2012 09:18 AM
    requiring cellular data to get updates is stupid, just stupid.
    05-12-2012 10:51 AM
    I agree, I would think the OS and carriers would want wifi on since you need it to download most apps anyway
    05-14-2012 04:40 AM
    It doesn't, it just requires some sort of network connection. If there doesn't happen to be a network connection when it does the update check then it doesn't see the updates until the next time. My two boys have my old WPs with a data block on the account so all they can use is wifi. I'm pretty sure they've gotten app updates before.

I'm not certain, but doesn't it do a check when you go to marketplace manually?
    05-15-2012 01:55 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD