Molly Wood isn't making friends anywhere...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh I don't care. She actually liked it. But I don't care one way or the other. I just found it funny that Android Central wrote an article on her too.

karelj

May 7, 2009
Visit site
A lot of the flack she received for that articles comes from Android users who are in a position to get the newest phones and the latest OS upgrades. They don't understand the plight of the average consumer who waits on updates that are extremely late or may never arrive for their particular hardware.
Molly positions herself as a power user, but she is nothing more than your typical average user with a slightly better awareness of tech.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
exactly, karelj. She couldn't figure out the basics of WP7, like how to use Office with Skydrive. She's just not the pro she pretends to be. Kind of a running joke now.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if she will find some way to make the iPhone crowd mad next. So far she's stirred up wp7 and android users.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I love this line.

"Motorola hardware fails fast and hard, although it's not quite as awful as the crapware-laden Samsung Fascinate Verizon foisted on me--the only phone I did root, just to escape having Bing as my default search."

She was an Angel to us compared to this.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
People still read CNET? It's worse than Gizmodo, just ignore it. Honestly, I'd rather buy things uninformed than take CNETs advice.

L

lumic

The comments on the original CNET article are pretty stellar. Fandroids ranting that due to the open nature of Android, users should look to androidcentral and xda for updates. How delusional can a "power user" get?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I just read the article for the first time and I agree with most of her points. On most android forums people are waiting and waiting for the next update and when it does it causes problems. Motorola seems to have the worst problems. Glad I'm on WP7.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
The rebuttal article leaves out A LOT of phones. Phones that not even a year and a half ago were released and are now trashed. The Samsung Moment(not even in their list) was a killer android phone(specs wise) and now not even 2 years later it's an old garbage phone to most.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The rebuttal article leaves out A LOT of phones. Phones that not even a year and a half ago were released and are now trashed. The Samsung Moment(not even in their list) was a killer android phone(specs wise) and now not even 2 years later it's an old garbage phone to most.

Most 2 year old phones are garbage. Have you seen a 3gs on iOS5? Bad. Have you seen a 3g on iOS4.xxx? Trust me, so so so bad. I think there is a reason all contracts dont require more than 2 years between new phone discounts. That's as long as they could last before being outdated for new updates. Less for androids of course. If a carrier wanted a 3 year contract for my next phone discount I would walk out the door immediately. Or it better be FREE. Fortunately if you go the iphone route, there are idiots willing to still pay huge price tags for them. Guy sold a 3g for $150!!!!! Insane.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Most 2 year old phones are garbage. Have you seen a 3gs on iOS5? Bad. Have you seen a 3g on iOS4.xxx? Trust me, so so so bad. I think there is a reason all contracts dont require more than 2 years between new phone discounts. That's as long as they could last before being outdated for new updates. Less for androids of course. If a carrier wanted a 3 year contract for my next phone discount I would walk out the door immediately. Or it better be FREE. Fortunately if you go the iphone route, there are idiots willing to still pay huge price tags for them. Guy sold a 3g for $150!!!!! Insane.

I agree. Software and hardware move so fast it's hard to keep a phone for two years now.

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
It was 800MHz and had 256mb of ram. Can't possibly be THAT bad for a phone. The WP7 phones most of us have aren't much more impressive than that.

Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 1.8GHz works perfectly fine (even with Aero) and gets SLAUGHTERED by machines now, why can't Android 2.3 work on an 800MHz phone? It was lucky to get 2.1 from 1.5.

I even have 2 workhorse laptops that run W2K and WXP, P2-333MHz and 196MB of ram. They both run more than fine like that. Sure, they both have SSDs, but so do our phones! How can a laptop run WXP but a phone not run a recent release of Android?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I ran 2.3 on a rooted and overclocked droid and it didn't do bad but it wasn't great either.

Sent from my Windows 7 phone using Board Express

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It was 800MHz and had 256mb of ram. Can't possibly be THAT bad for a phone. The WP7 phones most of us have aren't much more impressive than that.

Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 1.8GHz works perfectly fine (even with Aero) and gets SLAUGHTERED by machines now, why can't Android 2.3 work on an 800MHz phone? It was lucky to get 2.1 from 1.5.

I even have 2 workhorse laptops that run W2K and WXP, P2-333MHz and 196MB of ram. They both run more than fine like that. Sure, they both have SSDs, but so do our phones! How can a laptop run WXP but a phone not run a recent release of Android?

Not sure which phone you are saying was 800mhz with 256mb ram. Iphone 2g/3g were 400mhz ARM11 phones with 128mb ram. 3gs was 600mhz with 256mb. ip4 is 800mhz A4 with 512mb. 4S is Dual Core w/ expected clock of 800mhz A5 with 512mb.

Comparing a phone ARM processor to a x86 desktop/laptop processor is like comparing a yugo to a ferrari. Sure, both are CPUs but that would be the end of the comparison. The architecture and instructions sets are not even similar. Also, you may be able to run windows on a P2, but thats all you can do. Not a chance of doing anything on the web. Almost every site has flash adds or something that would kill that computer. ARM chips are sequential processors. x86 can do out of order processing. So the phone has to complete one task before moving on to the next. The ARM chips also have reduced instruction sets. ARM chips are just less advanced in the computing end. They sip power and that is why they are in phones. They are not supercomputers obviously.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3