Another thing Mango left out..

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Although Bing search got some nice new features, why isn't there a "search marketplace icon at the bottom of the Bing page when you hit the magnifying glass button. Wouldn't that be far more useful than the "scan song" icon? Of course I could pin the marketplace tile to my home screen, but that's more of a work-around than anything else. Being able to quickly search for apps from the search hard key seems like a no-brainer for any smartphone. ...and sorry in advance if Im missing it..Im very new to this OS.

Last edited:

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
There's a search icon in the marketplace at the bottom when you enter it jdd77.

Or am i not thinking along the same lines as you're meaning ? :)

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I guess that would work, but I think Marketplace search should be done in Marketplace. there's a full Marketplace experience in there. Seems more like a personal preference than it would be logical for everyone.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
When I am in the Marketplace and I hit search on the bottom of my phone, Bing comes up and it searches for what I am looking for in the Marketplace. It doesn't world wide web search, only a Marketplace search as far as I can tell.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
In nodo the hard search button searched the marketplace when you were in it, but now with Mango it remains a net search, not the marketplace. (It does launch a relative app if you have it installed.)

IE if you search bing for wpcentral and have the app installed it will let you launch it.

They added a soft search at the bottom of the marketplace in Mango.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its actually unnecessay. Try searching for MSN or ebay in bing, first thing you'll see at the top is either an option to launch the app if you have it installed or an option to download the app. You can also go to your application list and search for an app there and tap the Search MP link. Easy peasy. :)

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Let me reword this.. I'm not talking about while "in" marketplace, I mean "getting to" marketplace. The magnifying glass is a search tool that gives you the ability to search Bing, scan barcodes, scan music, local scout, and voice your search. But why not a marketplace icon? More in depth- a "search phone" icon. I feel it's not so much a personal preference but a practical one. And sorry Se1fcr3ation, I don't know what webOS is.. I'm coming from a Samsung convoy!! lol

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
In nodo the hard search button searched the marketplace when you were in it, but now with Mango it remains a net search, not the marketplace. (It does launch a relative app if you have it installed.)

LOL! Is that how it works now? I guess I haven't searched since nodo then. :lol:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Let me reword this.. I'm not talking about while "in" marketplace, I mean "getting to" marketplace. The magnifying glass is a search tool that gives you the ability to search Bing, scan barcodes, scan music, local scout, and voice your search. But why not a marketplace icon? More in depth- a "search phone" icon. I feel it's not so much a personal preference but a practical one. And sorry Se1fcr3ation, I don't know what webOS is.. I'm coming from a Samsung convoy!! lol

I think you should try what I suggested, re searching MP. I searched for an obscure application, Physi Bricks in bing and right at the top is the app icon with 'download app" below it. Then you have the usual web links below. Maybe a stealth feature they added but I dont think a specifc MP search option is needed as it seems to be there already. Just not well known, as is usual with WP7 features.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I think you should try what I suggested, re searching MP. I searched for an obscure application, Physi Bricks in bing and right at the top is the app icon with 'download app" below it. Then you have the usual web links below. Maybe a stealth feature they added but I dont think a specifc MP search option is needed as it seems to be there already. Just not well known, as is usual with WP7 features.

The only place where this fails is that if you don't know the app name you're out of luck. For example, searching "redbox" will not bring you the "redblocks" application on the bing search results, but if you search for "redblocks" it will give you an option to download the app...

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The only place where this fails is that if you don't know the app name you're out of luck. For example, searching "redbox" will not bring you the "redblocks" application on the bing search results, but if you search for "redblocks" it will give you an option to download the app...

...And essentially, its another work- around, like pinning the marketplace tile to the home screen for easy access. Does anyone else agree with me that marketplace should be easily accessed from the search hard key? rather than swiping to the app list and scrolling through to get to it?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
...And essentially, its another work- around, like pinning the marketplace tile to the home screen for easy access. Does anyone else agree with me that marketplace should be easily accessed from the search hard key? rather than swiping to the app list and scrolling through to get to it?

i agree that function could be implemented better.....i guess the only thing you could keep in mind is that "it's a young OS"....

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
i agree that function could be implemented better.....i guess the only thing you could keep in mind is that "it's a young OS"....

I don't know much about OS's, I'm coming from a basic flip-phone. Now that I've been using this phone it just "feels" like certain things should be here, not because another OS has it. I'm just a little annoyed that after the big Mango update, the search key now lets you scan barcodes and tells you what song your listening to, but not um... "search" your phone!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

My other suggestion to search from the application list works with your example. May seem like a workaround but maybe their reasoning was to make application searching more discoverable from the actual application list.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
My other suggestion to search from the application list works with your example. May seem like a workaround but maybe their reasoning was to make application searching more discoverable from the actual application list.

it doesn't work with apps you DON'T have and are inquisitive about an app on the market and search for it with a generic name that describes it. if i hit the search button, it brings up Bing. if i enter "redbox" it does a generic web search for "redbox". if I search "redblocks" it brings the app (along with the web results) and gives me the option to either open it or download it...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Have had Marketplace on my Start screen (bottom, right next to Settings) since last November. Guess that's why I have 180 apps/games currently installed. Easy access. It has a Live tile, so that's where it belongs. End of story.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Have had Marketplace on my Start screen (bottom, right next to Settings) since last November. Guess that's why I have 180 apps/games currently installed. Easy access. It has a Live tile, so that's where it belongs. End of story.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

I have settings at the bottom of my screen too but I have the calculator next to it. I don't want marketplace pinned to my homescreen, or too much media stuff. I like to keep those things separate from what I need to make calls or messages. But because of that I have to scroll through a list of apps or change things in settings alot. There is not too much customization or options on this phone and there are reasons I like that and reasons I don't. If Microsoft allowed for creating tiles that act as folders where you could put multiple things in..I would then have a marketplace/games/(etc) tile. I already have separate tiles for notepad, schedule, calculator, flashlight, maps, sound recorder... All of which could be in a "tools" tile. Maybe these things will be implemented in a future update..

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to use your flashlight more than the marketplace or settings? Why can't you move the settings and marketplace to the bottom of the home screen?

jdd77

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I have settings all the way at the bottom and flashlight is in the middle. I use flashlight more often than I thought I would, like when I unlock my door when I get home from work. I'll try putting marketplace next to settings..its not a bad idea

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)