More onboard memory or SD card access please!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I love my HD7. Someone would have to bring some major changes to their platform to get me to switch off of WP7 (Stability and UI enhancements for Android of bigger screens and UI enhancements for iOS), but there is one thing I definitely am jealous of. Storage capacity. I want 32 GB or more. 16 is just not quite enough. Once I start loading up my music and some movies, throw in all my apps, I'm nearly maxed out. I have to go through and prune my app catalogue from time to time due to space restraints. If my music library expands much more, it really will become a problem for me. Sure, I could shuffle my music every so often and only keep part of it on my phone, or leave movies off until I'm going on a trip, but I would rather just have a 32GB option of have an option to put in a memory card so I could fit more. Anyone else with me? I'd even be willing to pay $299 for a 32 GB version of a phone if that was how they wanted to go about it. Just give me the option!

lekhwani

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I got a focus 20 days back and lucky to have it in this regard. Just 4 days back inserted a 16 GB card. Now I have 24 gb overall. I could use 32 GB as well and then my overall will be about 40 GB. But I think I am happy with 24 GB right now.

As for you, your only savior can be an upgrade to another phone. But the cost will be much higher just to have a higher memory.

Focus owners are damn lucky in this regard

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Ya, my next phone will be either the Focus S or a Nokia. So I am hoping that Samsung kept SD Card Access on the Focus S or that Nokia launches something in higher capacities.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I believe I've seen on the web that most WP7 devices, including the HD7 use microSD cards internally for storage. Further people have successfully experimented with swapping these cards with higher capacity cards. However, I understand that the procedure is tedious (can damage your phone), and resets the phone to factory defaults. (Check here: http://www.xda-developers.com/windows-mobile/how-to-upgrade-your-htc-hd7-memory-to-32-gb/) Note that I have NOT attempted to perform this modification.

BTW. Off topic: I have an HD7 which I've loaded up with music for play throughout the day at work. I constantly hear that damn GSM noise (the sound you hear in nearby electronics when a call is about to come through), only it's almost constant through headphones (good ones and crap ones), and it's loud enough that I can hear it even through music when it gets soft. Do you have the same thing going on? Have you found a way to minimize it?

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Until recently, I have learned to live with the 16GB limit. I used a USB device in my car for music and managed to stay below the limit. However, I really missed the way Zune shuffles my music, remembers the songs I like and deletes the songs I don't like, etc. Plus, I have started subscribing to some good podcasts right from the marketplace on my phone. Now I'm getting dangerously close to the limit again. I can survive, but those 2nd gen devices better come soon and come with AT LEAST 32GB.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I believe I've seen on the web that most WP7 devices, including the HD7 use microSD cards internally for storage. Further people have successfully experimented with swapping these cards with higher capacity cards. However, I understand that the procedure is tedious (can damage your phone), and resets the phone to factory defaults. (Check here: How To Upgrade Your HTC HD7 Memory To 32 GB | xda-developers) Note that I have NOT attempted to perform this modification.

From what I've seen, though, many of the newer devices whose specs are known seem to be moving from the internal microSD cards to NAND memory, which cannot be switched out or upgraded. My theory is they initially used the microSD cards so that if demand for larger capacity (or lower capacity in order to lower the cost) cropped up, they could just make a quick switch and release different flavors of the same phone. When demand didn't materialize, they are switching to NAND flash memory which is faster and, I suspect, cheaper, than the internal microSD cards. And I'm not seeing any WP7 phones with expandable memory either. Maybe if the second generation WP7 phones catch on, the WP8 phones will have some more options, but for now, we are just stuck... and it sucks...

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I believe I've seen on the web that most WP7 devices, including the HD7 use microSD cards internally for storage. Further people have successfully experimented with swapping these cards with higher capacity cards. However, I understand that the procedure is tedious (can damage your phone), and resets the phone to factory defaults. (Check here: How To Upgrade Your HTC HD7 Memory To 32 GB | xda-developers) Note that I have NOT attempted to perform this modification.

BTW. Off topic: I have an HD7 which I've loaded up with music for play throughout the day at work. I constantly hear that damn GSM noise (the sound you hear in nearby electronics when a call is about to come through), only it's almost constant through headphones (good ones and crap ones), and it's loud enough that I can hear it even through music when it gets soft. Do you have the same thing going on? Have you found a way to minimize it?

Yes you can do that. All you have to do is break the little sticker that says VOID on one of the screws. Not something I'm inclined to do.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I use my 32gb Zune HD to manage my music, podcasts and videos. I have only a half dozen or so songs on my phone. I would rather run the battery down on my Zune than my phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism