Will MS Make a Run At This Market

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
As a user of Windows for quite some time, including Office, whose non-evolution other than confusing menus I can't stand that do the same stuff the old menus did, having a sync that is seemless between my computers and my phone is a terrific thing to have.

I never had a WM Phone but I did have a Dell Axim so I know what that sync and using Word, Excel and Outlook was like withought having the Documents to go step.

So, here I am with my Blackberry Storm 2 ready for a phone upgrade. As far as software, there's no question the IPhone has everything and Droid is close. Blackberry is losing ground there. What's gonna be with WP7.5 and WP 8.0. Will there be lots of apps and at when will we be able to asume that when a new app comes out for the IPhone, there will also be one for WP XX?

I don't know how MS can not stay in this market because with all the Iphones and now the IPads, vertical market software will think more about Apple than they do now and that will cut into Microsoft's base. I have mixed feeling about it all because I really can't stand that Excel has done nothing in the last 10 years and doesn't come close to the 2001 Lotus for Windows.

Anyway, I am looking for a Verizon phone that does 4G LTE, replacable battery, big easy to read screen, lots of internal speed, an HID connectivity profile for my Stowaway Keyboard and a good quality phone. I will probably wait for WP8.0 as I assume that will be out by January? True? Either that or I'll just get the Droid Bionic and deal with syncing and Documents To Go? By the way, is there a Zagat app for WP 7.5? Other than that, Flixter, NY Times, BofA, other banks, Pandora, Point, Yelp, Bloomberg Mobile, Twitter, Facebook, Google Maps, Linked In, Tether (this one is important) and Exgis Time & Exp are the apps I use. I also want to be able to do NetFlix. So, what do you all think?

dlcpa

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, then will a phone that does WP7.5 do WP8.0? Do we have any idea?

MS has such an opportunity now, I hope they are taking advantage of it. There are 100s of millions of people with MS Office, as bad as it is, who would love a seemless integration and syncing.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
WP7.5 just came out. WP8 will not be here until probably next Fall. There is no info on whether current Windows Phones will be upgradeable to WP8. My guess is that they will, but it's just a hunch.

There are no Windows phones with LTE announced yet, although there is some possibility Nokia will announce one next week at Nokia World.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace
There's where you can browse WP7 apps. Most of the ones you listed I know are available.

My advice: wait until next week and see if Nokia announces anything for Verizon. If not, the Galaxy Nexus (new Android phone just announced today) will probably best fit your needs.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
you can always check the marketplace online for apps: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/marketplace

and having a new app for both iPhone and WP is up to the devs. Some do it for iPhone/Android now, some don't. If WP gets enough marketshare, then they will. Right now, no.

No, WP8 isn't going to be out by january. not even close.

Ok, I looked at the link and there are problems in the very limited amount of software available for WP7.5. I think Microsoft has to address this pronto and use the argument that they are going 100% at this market. With Steve Jobs gone from Apple, Googles data farming and the quality and speed of the new phones that will be able to run WP7.5 and WP8.0, the Microsoft customer base is ready to go totally Microsoft because of all their business software and the seemless ease of syncing from computer to phone to tablet without losing fields and important data. Steve Ballmer, I am available to manage that effort! Call me we'll talk about salary and benefits. :)

I'm sure Microsoft is working on this but that is where the future is. For the same reason people don't switch from Office to something else, comfort and it's everywhere, they need software to switch from IPhones, Androids to WP

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I looked at the software and didn't see anything I mentioned but I'm not sure that marketplace list is complete, as there was no app for B of A and I believe I've seen that on pictures of the WP7.5 phones.

I kind of like the Droid Bionic because of the printer app, HID connectivity profile for my Think Outside the Box Stowaway keyboard, the size, speed, camera etc. but I have to see the Nexus.

I wonder if people who opted to go the WP7.0 and 7.5 route did so because of MS Office compatabilty and ease of syncing. I will look at Nokia's entrance next week, thanks.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Ah maybe the list isn't complete. There are DEFINITELY official apps for B of A, Poynt, Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, and NY Times. No Pandora app yet, although the HTML5 website works in WP7's browser and there's a 3rd-party Pandora app coming soon. There's also a third-party Google Maps app that I hear is quite good.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I looked on Google and there was an article about the best 25 WP7 apps and many of mine were in there. Zagat has one too, I checked. So, maybe this is doable! I hope it is.

I saw the Samsung Nexus and it is a gorgeous phone with some great O/S apps. Looks like the camera is incredible and fast. You know, I'm not sure if it has a replaceable battery, which for me is a must have.

The Nexus is also has a 4.65 in screen which is super.

My problems with Android are a pain in the neck syncing between MS Office and Android (even the connectivity choices don't list Office) and the fact that Google is farming data like we can't believe and even though you can keep your contact local (I think), calender and email info away from this repository of information, it makes it more difficult.

One thing I don't like about WP7, especially from those of us coming at one pt from the Dell Axim, there is no HID connectivity profile. The Droid Bionic has it.

One other thing, what about printer apps to connect to your Laser printer? I have a Canon Image Class D1150 that is on my Wifi network.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Nokia comes out with a gem!

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
One downside about Nokia is that their devices usually don't have a removable battery. Thankfully, they are also known for having excellent battery life. Also, WP7 has easily the best on-screen keyboard I have ever used. It's far better than any Android device I've tried.

AFAIK there are no printer apps yet.

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
With 4G LTE I love the security of having extra batteries and even with 3G I have used them a lot, esp as the batteries age. There are so many questions and issues, you can drive yourself crazy.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
MS does have an opportunity...but they need some killer devices.spread out right now T-MO one device the other guy one AT&T has the top two devices titian and sammy S....so far everything else has been mid-range devices including the Nokia that is now showing on this sight....

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Based on your stringent requirements I would suggest Android, maybe Google docs, and living with the pain rill you get tired of it.

Or, get a WP. On screen kb is great. There are plenty of apps (you don't need 2,000 task apps of you already have 25 good ones). Most WPs have removable batteries, but pickup a few USB battery backups and a 12" USB cable. Never without power and no need to power down. I soft reset my phone (power off/on) every 6-8 weeks, but not because I have to. Try that with a WM or Android. Btw, there is one app that offers cloud printing via your phone, but the service is not free. Remember you can sync any Office doc w/SkyDrive and access it from anywhere. Also lots of Dropbox sync clients.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

dlcpa

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I loved my Dell Axim and the way it synced so much and that's why I'm here. Apple's decision not to let you transfer doc, xls or pdf files tells me they don't care about business. That's pretty stupid if you ask me because with the IPhone and now the IPad they have a pathway to business users.

You are correct, there was not a week that went by where I didn't do a reset on the WM5 Axim, and sometimes battery pulls. Good to hear that WP is more stable.

What does SkyDrive do? I thought with WM5 you could attach a PDA or Phone as a Drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism