Minor live tile irritation

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded the BBC News app to the new mango version this morning. Great app, but I don't check it that often so wasn't fussed about having the live tile active as it'd just chew through battery for no reason.

I turned it off, but on exiting the app the tile had changed and was showing the top story. All well and good you might think - but of course because the live tile is set to off, that story never updates. So now I'm left with the choice of:

1. an increasingly out of date news tile that after a day or two will look ridiculous
2. being forced to keep the live tile on so it updates, even though I don't want that
3. unpinning an app I'd actually quite like to keep pinned

When all I actually want is a regular tile to access the app. As a result, I think some sort of live tile requirement to have a neutral "off" version in the guidelines for app developers might be a good idea. What do you reckon?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just uninstall/reinstall the app to get a plain tile again. But really, the tile only updates when you turn your screen on and your screen is using 25 time the energy of that itty bitty tile with the little image on it. Just get a portable charger and enjoy your phone.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Just uninstall/reinstall the app to get a plain tile again. But really, the tile only updates when you turn your screen on and your screen is using 25 time the energy of that itty bitty tile with the little image on it. Just get a portable charger and enjoy your phone.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Actually, the tile (when I tried leaving it on) instantly dropped my battery remaining from 1 day 18 hours to 1 day 2 hours. No other changes made. So clearly, having it tick over and periodically pull data from the BBC site was doing *something*. And certainly not something worth losing half a day of standby over!

Also, the plain tile only remains until I look at it again, then it sets itself to the top story again and I'm back to square one. So in the end, I unpinned it.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok and i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app after clearing the cache and turning the background task off.

On next reinstallation i had the default non live tile. It stays like that of course until you re enable the live tile.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Weirdly, it came up this time in Background Tasks. Regardless, the toast alerts turned themselves on at random so I've just shut all the alerts off an unpinned it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3