Connecting your Windows to a PC.

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong place. But I don't understand something. When I connect my HTC Trophy to my laptop, and I click on my computer. The phone does int show.
It seems I have to use Zune to manage media. Whereas any past phones I have had, I never used their software. I.E.Blackberry connect, Moto phone tools etc.

My last BB, I would transfer all my media directly from the PC to my phone. Its weird that the phone does not show up when I click on my computer, are some drivers missing.
And if so, how do I fix that? Or are all Windows phones work that way? Thanks

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My Omnia doesn't show in My Computers either joemd60. Only places i can see it listed, is if i have it connected via bluetooth (show bluetooth devices) and in Zune.

(I use it to play music via my PC via bluetooth sometimes)

Guess they don't bother to show it in My Computer because you can't transfer files from / to it.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. You don't have access the the file system on WP, so Zune is all you need to sync; photos, music and video. Office files to up to SkyDrive where they can sync with your Office hub.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Guys. It works like the iPhone does with iTunes. I also wish when Zune connects. That my files on my phone didn't automatically sync back to my computer.
No matter what option I check off, it doesn't seem to do what it is supposed to do.

And its not top secret, you guys can call me Joe. ;)

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Joemd... The sync option are in the Zune settings. You can uncheck the option to auto sync pics and video under the phone sync aetting of Zune. I think u have to have your phone connected to Zune for the option to be available. I can't remember

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again everyone, I know where the sync settings are. The three options are
all
items I choose
manual
There is nothing in Zune to check or uncheck auto sync. I chose manual, so far it seems to be working. I appreciate all the responses and help. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again everyone, I know where the sync settings are. The three options are
all
items I choose
manual
There is nothing in Zune to check or uncheck auto sync. I chose manual, so far it seems to be working. I appreciate all the responses and help. :)
Faberoonie! :)

mart280

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
You can view your WP7 in my computer

■Open Windows Registry Editor by typing regedit in your start menu
■Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\
■Then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB (and not the other ControlSet01 or 02 if you have them) and then search for ZuneDriver
■You will see at least one sub folder under the entry VID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_00. Choose the device folder for which you want this change for.
■Change ShowInShell from 0 to 1 <- this enable Windows Explorer to show the device when plugged in
■Change PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell from 1 to 0
■Change EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1 <- this enables Windows Explorer to detect the device
■Once its done just plug-in your device to your PC and you will be able to see it as regular Flash drive in my computer explorer window

I found it on the net.

http://www.biggtech.com/microsoft-2...-wp7-smartphone-just-like-usb-drive_3714.html

I think there was a program floating about that does the same thing, I had it but cant find it now.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Do we really want to tinker with the registry just to show the phone in My Computer though mart280 ?
I suppose some may prefer doing this, but mr boring here will just stick with his Zune lol :)

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the link mart. But I think I would rather deal with Zune, than to play around with registry on my brand new laptop.

mart280

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
No worries guys, Joe there is a piece of software that does the trick, a double click and it,s done, if I find it again I will link to it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3