The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-25-2011 02:25 PM
74 123
tools
    When I started using Zune software on my laptop for music, I liked it. Then MS introduced that they would be bringing out a phone. When I saw how the UI was similar to Zune, I was excited. At the time I had a Nokia dumbphone (very old model), so I figured I'd wait till the WP7 were released and get one. I was looking at the other phones and I basically wanted something like the BB, but a bigger screen like the iPhone. So when I saw the LG Quantum, it was like MS knew what I wanted. In two years, when my contract is up, I'll consider getting a Nokia WP7, but right now I love my WP7 and I don't envy anyone. ;-)
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-20-2011 01:00 PM
    WOW!!! Good turn out for this thread. Very encouraging.

aM I rambling?
    Nah, your good. This is the type of response I wanted for this topic.
    10-20-2011 04:10 PM
    ive been into smartphones ever since the iphone came out and was dying to get one for sprint which obviously didnt happen for awhile. android was always compelling but the performance of the os always turned me off, so i got a pre and fell in love with webos. after witnessing the sad fall of palm i needed to leave. i kept of with windows phone from there first announcement it always looked nice the zune interface appealed to me having owned a zune before. the whole os made sense to me the look and feel and when i seen how it performed i was convinced. so when the arrive came out for sprint i quickly through my dying pre to the floor lol and here iam today i love this phone and the os i cant wait to upgrade to a 4g nokia windows phone for sprint :)
    10-20-2011 04:50 PM
    I got my HTC Mozart last october (2010).

'id seen freinds with android, an ugly fragmented mess, iPhones, a grid of apps (yawn) and a small screen, not to mention outrageously expensive, and then windows phone 7 arrived. A great looking, elegant, easy, intuitive design, that all the others lacked, and was carried all the way through the UI and not just a manufacturers skin to hide the ugliness.

It just seemed more fluid, and alive, and even more so with the mango update. Its all just there in front of you.

And Xbox, Zune, the only music service that allows you to download music to your phone without buying it, and not just stream it (with a zune pass). I dont know any other that does that, much to the annoyance of an android friend.

These were the main reasons, it does what i want, the UI looks miles better than any other, and i dont need my glasses to peer at rows of tiny apps, its all there in front of me in nice easy to read tiles.
    10-20-2011 05:06 PM
    For me, it was (also) a matter of progressing through Zune on the desktop, then a Zune pass and a ZuneHD32, and finally a Samsung Focus. I really liked the ZuneHD interface, and it was just a matter of time to decide which Zune/WP7 phone I was going to get. Why the Focus? a) the remarkable SUPER AMOLED screen, b) a replaceable battery, c) a 32GB-card option on top of 8GB, d) the optimal-for-me 4" screen/device size, and last, but not least, e) something that few users care about: the SAR ratings that are among the best/lowest in the industry. The timing of the purchase (mid-August) had everything to do ATT's $0 price. :)
    10-20-2011 05:33 PM
    Zune Software, Zune Pass, Zune HD

Didn't want to deal with iTunes and Apple products anymore
    10-20-2011 05:46 PM
    I had never seen WP7 before, but was in desperate need of an upgrade from my WinMo LG Incite. I picked up a Samsung Focus in an AT&T store and really loved the OS. Everything was so smooth. All the other phones (Android - I hate iPhones) were laggy and messy.

It was the best phone decision I've ever made.
    10-20-2011 09:13 PM
    Why did I choose WP7? because it's even starting to proliferate "super popular" google announcements for android lol check this video out... it's a Galaxy Nexus walkthrough so if you've already seen it or don't care much for android then just skip to about 4:06 in the video and listen closely... Sound familiar? :)
    drnikki and DontHate707 like this.
    10-20-2011 09:37 PM
    Because I needed a phone that just works. Had an iPhone and loved it, but wanted something a little bit "personal". Plus I had a Zune pass. I was a BIG ringtone person and had a customized alert for everyone, but since using the phone, I actually don't miss it. At all. Like none whatsoever. Buying this phone made me feel like I actually found an Os I would keep for YEARS and not want to switch. Now all I need is my Nokia ;)
    10-20-2011 09:47 PM
    Never owned anything Apple so that was not an option. I avoid Google like the plague, so Android was out. Been a WinMo user since it was introduced. Didn't think I would like WP, at least not Gen1, so figured I would stick with WinMo for another year or two. After playing with the new devices on launch day, I was sold. Didn't like the oversaturated look of the Focus screen or the plastic feel, so I brought a Surround home, paid $399 off contract. Sold two of my Tilt2s (still have one) on eBay and almost broke even. Ready for an upgrade in May so hope Nokia has something special planned for 2012.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    10-20-2011 10:00 PM
    I got sick of dealing with the faults of Android (which are many), I didn't want an iPhone because I feel the screen is too small and don't like the look of iOS, and after playing with an HD7 in a T-Mobile store a few times I started loving it. Bought one at full retail and I love it. I haven't loved a phone this much since my Nokia 5300 Musik. As a result I am very excited for Nokia Windows Phones cause it is my favorite manufacturer using my favorite OS.
    10-20-2011 10:39 PM
    4:06 in the video and listen closely... Sound familiar? :)
    LMAO, I heard it. Its like a friendly little warning to android saying "Yeah, we here".
    10-20-2011 11:29 PM
    LMAO, I heard it. Its like a friendly little warning to android saying "Yeah, we here".
    lol I agree.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    10-20-2011 11:34 PM
    Oh, I didn't chose it, Windows Phone [7 Series] chose me! I love how that sounds :-P
    No but seriously, I got my phone because I won it in a giveaway conducted by my beloved Microsoft, the same way I got for free a whole $500+ pack when Windows 7 launched.

But of course, even if I hadn't won I would had chosen WP7 because I was really hoping to get the "Zune Phone" (called that way at the time) after having a great experience with my Zune 4GB and then Zune HD.
    KingCrimson likes this.
    10-20-2011 11:34 PM
    I bypassed the whole smartphone craze so far. I almost bought an iPhone 13 months ago, but then cancelled the deal the next day. Thought seriously about a Nexus One a few months later but decided in the end I just didn't like Android. The first time I saw how WP7 worked I was in love and I knew *that* was going to be my first smartphone.

* love the live tiles/hubs approach to the start screen
    * love all the integrated hub apps(social, search, music)
    * love the Metro typography
    * love the fact that you don't need beastly hardware for the OS to run buttery smooth
    * the controlled app market
    10-21-2011 12:19 AM
    I am coming back to WP7 after just trying the new iPhone 4S. Was not happy with the hardware at all. My new shiny 4S had this horrible rattle every time I sat it down and a washed out yellow screen. After much research I found that many people are reporting the same. Sorry, but for a device that retails at $600 +, I refuse to accept hardware issues or any imperfections. I used the HTC Trophy briefly and was overall very happy with it, except for some signal issues at my home. I also tried the Samsung Fascinate and found the os to be a huge mess. I simply need a phone that works. That is why I ordered another Trophy and I won't be leaving again. :)
    10-21-2011 07:47 AM
    My first smartphone was a WM phone. I liked the features - calendar, tasks, Mobile office, music, but the phone was so big and bulky and phone calls were terrible.
    I then bought a Storm. I loved the Storm from day 1. It did what I needed - texts, email, bbm, great call clarity, and the battery didnt die without being heavily used in a day's time. I even liked Surepress - it was different. However, it never had enough working memory so even if I wanted to put apps on it, it would just lock up faster. I had the Storm for 30 months waiting for the Storm 3 (aka torch 9850 now) and had finally decided to stop waiting if there was something better. So considerations for a new phone were:
    *It wasn't a Iphone - anything but icrap would be ok. Can't do the sheep route and don't like the apps everywhere appearance. I wanted something easily accessible for the main things I do.
    *It wasn't Android - Can't tell you the number of times I see co-workers walking around with their chargers around 3 pm. And like my Storm, I didn't want to always be looking to see what app I hadn't killed in the background.
    *I had a Zune30 and then a ZuneHD - would be nice to have it all on 1 device and use my Zune pass, but not the end of the world if I needed to maintain the 2nd device.
    *Wanted to access spreadsheets and word documents and be able to either start or modify them on the go.
    *Wanted to see my today calendar on the main screen
    *I am on Verizon
    *Touch screen that works - I want the whole screen, can't do the keyboard thing, and don't want the landscape slide as it adds to the bulkiness.
    *apps aren't important if the phone has the features already

I started playing with the Trophy in the store, had read the reviews, and didn't see any near time frame hope of RIM getting a new touch screen to market. It had all of the things I wanted feature wise in the OS, but I was unsure about the battery life.
    The tipping point was when I saw that the MS store had the phone on sale for a penny!
    I love this phone!!!!!!! WP7 NoDo was good and WP7 Mango'd is even better. Battery life is at least 12 hours on a heavy day of texts and emails (which is typically only Mondays). I have my music and podcasts that I listen to in the car. I have a bunch of apps, mostly games, that enhance the phone and they work. The phone doesn't lock up.
    All of the things I wanted, very little of the things I didn't and now looking to get the wife one when her next upgrade is ready. I just wish there was more memory for more music. The concept for this phone is brilliant, but needs more advertising to gain market share.
    RIM simply took too long for me to consider otherwise, and now I don't know why they were still on the list.
    Waiting now for the Windows tablet.
    10-21-2011 09:09 AM
    Because I was using webos.
    10-21-2011 09:54 AM
    Because it's a Zune player with a great phone built in one. Awesome OS and the greatest media player out there. The artist background and bios appearing while listening to an album, zune pass, tiles for all new albums uploaded and tiles for my recent history. IDK how anyone can believe that iPhones are better for music heads than WP7s
    10-21-2011 10:33 AM
    I had a zune before, totally love the UI and the player, then I investigated about this new OS ms was working on, I loved everything since then, UI, music player, people hub,etc
    10-21-2011 11:45 AM
    Because it's a Zune player with a great phone built in one. Awesome OS and the greatest media player out there. The artist background and bios appearing while listening to an album, zune pass, tiles for all new albums uploaded and tiles for my recent history. IDK how anyone can believe that iPhones are better for music heads than WP7s
    I only recently took the leap to Zune and I can't believe how much I missed. The only Apple product i had was my 30 gig ipod video, and I thought i really liked it. But mainly it was jut the fact all my music was there.

After using Zune on my pc and WP7, I really realize how much my iPod was lacking interface wise. I really don't understand why Zune didn't get heavily marketed, or even with WP7 why not really market the Zune and Zune Pass
    10-21-2011 11:47 AM
    I got bored with my iPhone 3GS and have always been a MS fan. I love my HD7s and the Mango OS. It will only get better.
    10-21-2011 03:30 PM
    No iphone in my carrier.
    10-21-2011 03:59 PM
    I'll say this much, I WAS SOOOOO CLOSE to buying the iphone 4 when it came out, but i had stuck with my 3GS. But when I went to make a payment on my bill, I had just been drawn in by the tiles. Plus the notification sound caught me off guard. I had heard about WP7 a while ago myself, and thought it would be different as well. I caught myself going in and out of the ATT store for like a week just to play with the phones. I WAS SOLD on the fluidness of the OS in general. Like another person said, it JUST works. Granted it may not have all the apps, its simple! The info is all right there.

Top 5 things I like about WP7

1. Metro- Its sleek, and simple, not too much, not too less.
    2. ZUNE- I owned a Zune a while back, and loved it, but didn't really like the Zune pass deal, but since they changed the rules on it, ITS Definitely a great investment.
    3. Is it me or do these cameras on these phones take great pictures?....(That's a personal opinion though)
    4. Tell Me- I actually Love this feature, it does what it supposed to do....Sorry Siri, and im a Apple Fanatic.
    5.Battery Life- Probably the best battery life I've ever had on a smartphone. I was HIGHLY surprised by it.

I Like The iPhone, its fluid, but is outdated, but people are used to it, cant knock that. I've NEVER and I repeat NEVER owned an Android phone because its entirely too cluttered, and the battery life is like buying dollar general batteries. Windows Phone will have to work a little harder to get people BACK into it. The slogan should be, "Windows Phone......It Just.....Works.
    10-21-2011 05:07 PM
    I got it because it's intuitive and clean/uncluttered. Office Hub with the office suite, I can log in to work SharePoint as well. Also because it's different,love the people hub and FB integration as well.

anti Apple and Droid is to labor intensive to use.
    Last edited by wrong; 10-21-2011 at 08:20 PM.
    10-21-2011 07:56 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD