10-25-2011 02:25 PM
74 123
tools
    I'm looking at jumping to WP7 because a screen with tiles of icons doesn't really do it for me. It seems silly, but I like the look. Android is a buggy mess no matter how many custom ROMs I try and the iPhone, while giving a wonderful UE, doesn't do it for me so WP7 is the only option for now.
    10-21-2011 07:59 PM
    I used wince and win mo in the past and it was functional, but not snazzy or fluid. Moved to Palm and enjoyed their simplicity and intuitive OS as well as the 1,000s of apps from Palmgear. Moved up to WEB OS and was happy until hp pulled the rug out from under us. Researched the WP 7 for months and then drove around and around until I found a store rep willing to sell me one! Played with several Arrives at local Sprint stores and managed to show the reps a few things about the device they refused to sell to me (claiming upgrade ineligibility because of a palm pre warranty replacement and subsequent account change); but finally located a rep willing to work with me as well as give me a 75.00 deal!

I like this OS more each time I handle the device. A few more tweaks and enhancements coming down the homebrew like and it looks like I'll have my perfect pocket device!

Maybe because I've used smartphones for years now - but this one has been the easiest to operate and except for the initial perusal of the manual; I haven't had to consult it to figure out how to get things done!

Yep, this is an OS that may be rippling now, but looks like it could turn in to a tidal wave with just a bit more exposure!
    10-22-2011 12:57 AM
    The thing is while it's tempting to get an iPhone for the Retina Display, the iOS UI just is flat out boring. I use it everyday on my iPad and I'm already pining for the Metro UI with Windows 8. iOS = outdated.
    10-22-2011 02:48 AM
    I can not wait for a win8 tab. Then win8 on my desktop, and win8 on my Titan (hopefully). My dad has his 4S, iPad2 but old HP so only 2 of 3. Brother has 4S, MacBook, but no iPad so only 2 of 3. My setup will be true cross platform. Theirs will only be iOS on ipads and phones and OSX on their computers if they complete the hat trick.
    10-22-2011 08:49 AM
    I can not wait for a win8 tab. Then win8 on my desktop, and win8 on my Titan (hopefully). My dad has his 4S, iPad2 but old HP so only 2 of 3. Brother has 4S, MacBook, but no iPad so only 2 of 3. My setup will be true cross platform. Theirs will only be iOS on ipads and phones and OSX on their computers if they complete the hat trick.
    Yeah this, I was looking for other smartphones besides the iphone when I found my carrier ( They got the iphone 4Gs now though ) and enter sites like engadget, phonedog and pocketnow.com and saw about the future of WP7, specifically W8tablets and the Mango update. And it gave me the confidence to jump in.
    10-22-2011 09:05 AM
    Well, I got an LG Quantum as a prequel to my next Nokia device. I've always loved the Nokia hardware and now that Symbian is abandoned, I figured I'd better get used to WP7.

I like the LG, but really, I got it b/c I broke my e71 and am still waiting for an e7 or e6 type device in WP. I have usually preferred the e6/e71/blackberry style candybar qwerty phones b/c I need to be able to type one handed and hate virtual keyboards (have to look while typing). With voice texting getting to the point of usability now with Mango and the iPhone Siri thing, that requirement is receding for me to the point where I am willing to go with sliding horizontal keyboards. I trade some one-handed (no-look) usability and get the added screen real estate while still having a physical keyboard.

For me, I hate the proprietary nature of iDevices so it is really a choice between Android and WP7 devices. I know, I'll annoy some by saying so, but I don't give a hoot about the prettiness of the WP ui. Frankly, I don't even find it very pretty and the lack of have folders is, to me, a shocking omission coming from MS who practically invented the concept. As it stands, accessing programs is more unwieldy on this device than on my old s60 device. But it is faster and newer so I'm not pineing for my old phone - just saying that simply adding folders would be a huge improvement.

Also, I need swapable batteries, so the fact that I can cheaply buy batteries and chargers for the LG are a plus. I'm really hoping Nokia doesn't do like they did on the N8 and make their upcoming WP devices "sealed" (well, requiring a screwdriver to change anyway) battery devices. Anyways, that's another point against the iDevices for me as Apple will never give up their sealed and soldered battery preference. Android and WP are a tie here though as batteries are generally swappable with offerings for both.

That all said, the app selection is great (esp coming from an s60 device), but it is not quite Android or iDevice great. I had previously been using the nokia as a phone and kept an iPod touch for alot of apps. For things like foreign language apps, it looks like I'll still have to do so for now...
    10-22-2011 11:25 AM
    Honestly, because it's pretty.. And after using it I realized that it just works. I love it so much more than my blackberry or iphone. My dream phone (for now anyway) would be an iPhone 4s hardware running Windows phone.. I can dream, right? I've had my focus since last November. Love the software, ready for Nokia hardware. =]

Jonathan
    10-22-2011 12:56 PM
    It was on sale, $50 for a three year contract. The data plan was good too. There was a free Xbox 360 included. I don't play video games so I had no idea what a Xbox was (no kids...).

I like it, it took a bit of getting used too since I had a pay as you go dumb phone for years. I now use the smart features more than the phone part.
    10-23-2011 11:30 AM
    Free Xbox360??? Where and when was that deal?
    10-23-2011 06:07 PM
    Free Xbox360??? Where and when was that deal?
    I think he means a free Xbox game for the phone.
    10-23-2011 06:50 PM
    First thing that drew me in was the fresh, original take on the UI. I was already a fan of the largely chromeless interface having been a Zune user since day one, so that certainly had a lot to o with it. Then as I played with it more and more I discovered that it worked like I think, far more so than iOS or Android. After that I was completely sold.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    10-23-2011 09:47 PM
    One day I was working out this is when I still had my iPhone 3G and I thought to myself a perfect phone is not about apps and games its about integration. A phone with Social Networking built in, Skype Built in, Office Outlook built in, excellent music player and gaming service is the future of handhelds.

iPhone was good an all but it really needed 3rd party apps to suceseed and I hated going through diifferent apps to get what I wanted. I want the ability to view my contacts and see all the different options I can contact him, view his FB photos, see whats new, call him via Skype (wifi) instead of land line.

I was also a big fan of MSN messenger thats why I initially got rid of my iPhone.

As of right now WP7 is going towards that direction where its a complete social networking phone, great mp3 service, office powerhouse and a good mobile gaming platform. So right now IMO WP7 is almost the total package I hope they get Skype and Lync built in real fast and also an actuall Outlook client to battle against iPhone and Android active sync.

Windows is the future an ecosystem where your personal settings are carried wherever you go whether it would be on the road, in the living room or in your workspace everything is the same with easy access to me that is the future of technology.
    10-24-2011 01:16 AM
    Telus in Alberta had it December 2010. I hooked it up ad played it for maybe 4 hours.
    10-24-2011 09:26 AM
    I was an Iphone owner, I was a little bored about IOS, and I wanted to try something new.
    Currently, I'm really happy of my wp7, just missing some apps (skype, ...)
    10-24-2011 09:54 AM
    So tell us about your experience with the radar so far if you would! From what I am hearing skype will be coming soon first as an app perhaps and then in a firmware update for integration into the os! Should be nice as long as carriers cooperate
    10-24-2011 10:32 AM
    Was a faithful BlackBerry user for almost four years. Unfortunately (or fortunately!), RIM dropped the ball with their phones: I bought a Torch and soon enough they moved to the new OS and left me stuck with what was supposed to be their flagship phone.

Being inclined to graphic design, I liked the look of Windows Phone. Then I went to an AT&T store and tried it.

SOLD!

Not only the graphic design part, but the design concept itself and its smoothness won me over quickly.
    10-24-2011 04:53 PM
    Was a faithful BlackBerry user for almost four years. Unfortunately (or fortunately!), RIM dropped the ball with their phones: I bought a Torch and soon enough they moved to the new OS and left me stuck with what was supposed to be their flagship phone.

Being inclined to graphic design, I liked the look of Windows Phone. Then I went to an AT&T store and tried it.

SOLD!

Not only the graphic design part, but the design concept itself and its smoothness won me over quickly.
    Similar to my experience with the Blackberry Style 9670
    10-24-2011 08:17 PM
    I chose WP7 because I did not want to be a sheep and get an iPhone. I was considering Android, as it was the only alternative. Or so I thought. After reading posts on Engadget and Gizmodo, I found there was a third option, I was very intrigued. I read up on the OS and the cool features. What got me into WP7 really was the Xbox games & Achievements. I love getting them, as why not. You will play the game anyways, may as well support my console (Xbox) and get a bit of recognition.
    What really kept me with WP7 was the community. I discovered this website and the loyal following. Everyone looking to help out in the WP7 community, wishing for the best. Hopeful and optimistic. I will be a user for life, Microsoft has a beautiful thing here. Let's hope more people give it a chance.
    cedarlog likes this.
    10-24-2011 09:52 PM
    Great post mooncow27!

He once made a blackberry pie out Mangos. Chickens say "tastes like Mango" when they bite into apples, out of respect. He conquered an entire army of androids with a single Mango. He's the most interesting cell phone user alive. "I dont always use smartphones, but when I do, I use WP. Stay Metro my friends."
    10-25-2011 02:13 AM
    To replace a dead ZuneHD. So far, I love it... except for a mindless Bing Maps, and the lack of any proper volume control (instead, we get this "unified" volume control...).

It's either that, or I have to screw with my lossless WMA collection and relevel all the audio :rolleyes: (and hope the Bing/Call volumes match up with the music, too). At least it's really messed up when I plug something into the 3.5mm TRS jack (to go to car stereo - much better than bluetooth headset/speaker, at least for Android... WP7... I'm this close to giving up on MS alltogether).
    10-25-2011 03:38 AM
    Im an MS product user and my contact list is already managed in Hotmail (and those synchronized from Facebook) and some of my files are saved in Skydrive, so Id choose one with native intergration with that.

But that aside, the main reason is that the other two choice is not that interesting for me.
    Being exposed often to the worse side of Apple users (the fanboys instead of the moderates) already writes off iPhone from the list, not to mention the local price. Im also stubborn and resist getting any Google ID (abandoned my YouTube login when they forced everyone to use Google ID) so Android thats not so useful without it is also out of the list. That leaves WP7.
    Blackberry and Symbian looks even less prospectful compared to WP7.

Not all is flowery though. MS always do terrible in providing their services globally. No buying apps from Marketplace (doesnt accept credit card), no buying music, terrible PoI database in map (although the street lines are getting better) just to name some.
    10-25-2011 07:46 AM
    I think he means a free Xbox game for the phone.
    Nope, got a Xbox for the home. My carrier had it as a special inducement to buy a WP7.
    10-25-2011 09:13 AM
    The thing that drew me in at first was just how sexy the OS is. The live tiles spinning and flipping catches your eye and is visually pleasing. Once you get a chance to use it and see how fluid everything is, you realize how different it is from everything else that's out there. I like having my social networks built into the experience with out having 3 separate apps to open individually to do what WP can with 3 simple swipes. Also having a Zune player right on my phone is awesome and just beautiful with the artist backgrounds on my lock screen.
    10-25-2011 10:23 AM
    Smooth. That is basically it. And how well everything is integrated.

Sent from my LG Quantum using Board Express
    10-25-2011 02:25 PM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD