Why did you choose WP7?

anon(5329672)

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been noticing alot of suggestions for the OS, complaints about the OS, and complaints about the complaints about the OS in threads. This made me think of a interesting question.

What made you choose to get a WP7? What feature, suggestion, or advertisement? What appealed to you? I'll answer first.

The reason I got a windows phone was becuz I wanted a smartphone and I didn't want to give up my zune. The dilemma I had was I needed more memory than my hd had and at around the same time I came to the end of my t-mobile agreement. At first the plan was to get or keep the crappy dumbphone I had and buy a new zune hd, but then I thought " Hey, I'm a big boy. I better get a smart phone." So I did some phone research and found WP7 and the more I weighed it with my other options the more I liked it. So then BOOM! I tried it and I liked it.

How bout you?

species5618

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Because it's a phone with gorilla glass for $80 without a contract. Plus, I was curious about wp7. For $80, I have little to lose. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised despite all the misgiving due to the rigidness of the os.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Got tired of apple saying the iPhone 5 (I thought) was coming in June, then Aug, then Sept, then Oct. For some reason I felt strung along, and that it was assumed I would by the next phone without having a choice.

Decided to say screw it and get a new phone. Did about 15 hours of research, comparing Android, iOS and WP. Went to att store over the course of a few days to play with Infuse, HD7 and on a whim of curiosity the Focus.

Ruled out Android day one, but something about WP grabbed me. Went back the next day played with the Surround and Focus again, then home for one last round of research. A PhoneDog Android to WP article won me over. Headed over to eBay, got a screaming deal on the Sammy, and the rest is history as they say.

Was 100% hooked when I figured out how awesome the people hub was, and realized I could have a pic of not only my wife, but my new daughter as a tile on the home screen. That sealed the deal for me.

The OS just works. Everything inthought the phone would do it did when i was learning it, and i liked that. No app jumping, easier to get to information, it's different, not everyone has it, and i just plain like it.

Been 95+% happy with WP, and can't wait to peruse the forums on either my Focus S or 4.3" Nokia phone!

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Needed a cheap, good phone as I'm self-employed. Had an iPhone 4 and couldn't justify keeping it when I could make money selling it on. Tried WebOS but didn't like the hardware, tried Android but didn't like the software. Aside from a very small number of apps and a lack of more advanced games, WP7 is the nicest OS to use with the nicest hardware. I really like iOS too, but I've been so impressed with WP7 that in future I'd be happy with either.

pikacz

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i desperately needed a breath of fresh air coming from android, and just didn't want to spend so much on the iphone 4. what struck me most after seeing a wp7 video for the first time was the incredible smoothness and i knew that this is going to be my next OS

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Loved the idea of live tiles, the square shape of my Omnia 7, and being an XBox fan loved the idea of being able to mess about with my avatar and gain achievements on the phone while playing games.

Still love it as much as the first day I got it. Novelty has never worn off. Use it more than any other phone i've had including my iPhone.

Can't be bad! :)

joemd60

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
My BB Curve was a refurb, the inside screen was a mess, and a couple of the keys were jammed. I wanted to upgrade, but did not want to spend a ton of money. I saw the Trophy for $70, and thought, why not.
I was afraid, because usually a new OS on any carrier tends to be buggy. So far I have been wrong, 1 month later I still love my HTC Tophy. :)

DarkSynopsis

Sep 13, 2011
Got mine as a present but I would have easily gone the WP7 route when I started earning cash again! I've always liked the look of Metro and well... LIVE! Got to love being able to play mobile games and get achievements.

I have my iPod Touch also so Phone wise I would have never have gone iPhone purely because I don't get many calls as is **** my WP7 is a Phone second and used for various other stuff first.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
It was weeks of research for me. I have tried every phone OS aside from Nokias platform. I was never drawn by iOS. Had it on my iTouch and it seemed blah. I gave it to my girl and she loves it.

Saw the HD7 in a T-Mobile store and got to play with it and I was blown away. To be truthful, I was shocked. I always harbored negativity towards windows and Microsoft, mobile and PC. Its fact that windows mobile wasn't exactly...loved...to say the least. But WP7 was a surprise.

Did my research some more, mostly asking questions on this forum (thanks everyone) and checked out videos on YouTube. Went back, played with the OS some more and that was it. I ordered the phone.

One thing that really sold me on the OS was this forum. Look around. Compare it to android forum example. This forum isn't covered wall to wall with "help my phone is bricked" threads. It shows a stable OS. That's what I needed and the OS is simple and elegant. Never been happier with a phone.

aM I rambling?

Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
As a Sprint Sero customer who was off contract and going month to month, i was looking for the best phone where I didn't have to pay the extra $10/month for 4g service. Initially, i would've went with an Android device but all of Sprint's 3G android offerings sucked so i was either stuck using my Touch Pro2 a bit longer or upgrade to something else. I was hoping for the Pre3 to come to Spring (which I heard was going to be a 3G device) but when that never happened, I just decided to take the plunge into the world of WP7 with the HTC arrive. Looking back now, i'm really glad I gave WP7 a try b/c I absolutely love it. Aside from being on the chunky side due to the keyboard, the Arrive's worked almost flawlessly for me.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i been following WP7 sints it was called *Project PINK* 3 years ago lol ,

I’ve had almost all Window Mobile phones , and 90% of my electronics is Windows/Microsoft

The XLB integration they promised us was also a BIG part of it.

so getting a WP was a no brainer.

Odeira.Oloap

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Why did you choose WP7?

Many reasons, but two really were the main arguments as to why I got a WP.

1. ANDROID IS COMPLICATED AS ****.

I was to get a dual-core phone that ran on it (i found one for around USD 500, second hand, contract-free), I played with it a little, and... My God! I was overwhelmed with the complexity of the OS.

Then I saw the HD7 at that same store (around USD 400, second-hand, contract-free). It was love... To say the least.

Sure, it -only- has a single core CPU and -only- a 5 megapixel camera (whose shots are not exactly warranting that you dump your digital camera for this phone on those Kodak moments)...

But then again, where else can you get

Seamless Facebook integration*?
A browser that is ACTUALLY faster than the one I use on my PC?
A music player that tells the complete biography of the artist without going to apps?
A place where all your games are in one place and not spread out like gas molecules? (Pardon the Chemistry part there)
Great Free Games (and not just mere trials of priced games)

I believe ONLY WINDOWS PHONE HAS ALL OF THESE. :D

2. iPhone's and iPod Touch's WERE (and still are) AS UBIQUITOUS AS TOYOTA CAMRYS AND COROLLAS.

EVERYONE HAS AN iDevice ONE FORM OR ANOTHER. EVERYONE.

It is no longer unique.
It is not fresh.
It is not interesting anymore.
The only reason I can come up with as to why many people buy iDevices is because they see other people with it, they think that an iDevice is the de facto must-have, and that they have to have one, one way or another.
Also, you need to be a magician to find ways to make your iDevice unique, since they all look one and the same.

WP is fresh, hip, unique, and very interesting. It can come in many shapes and sizes catering to various needs of users. Also, the Metro UI is very pleasant to the eyes the moment you see it. :)

BOTTOM LINE: WP7 is EASY TO OPERATE, UNIQUE, REFRESHING, AND INTERESTING. :)

Footnotes:

- I recently updated that HD7 to Mango, now I don't want to lose it (hoping that it won't get snatched or misplaced or whatever... :D )
- Since the update, Twitter integration was also included. It is also seamless (Here's to wishing for seamless Tumblr integration on the People hub. :) )
- Here in the Philippines, we can get an HD7 from T-Mobile USA. And it is BRAND SPANKIN' NEW (not some second-hand trade-in from an expatriate). SERIOUSLY. It is even complete with all the apps T-Mobile put on the phone (T-Mobile TV, Netflix, Slacker Radio, etc.) I know it's nothing new. I don't how they do it, but it's nice that it happens, anyway (We can also get a device from Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and the UK carriers)

From a very satisfied HTC HD7 owner from the Philippines. :)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Wasn't Project Pink the Kin1/Kin2 in the end?

honestly they had , project pink , purple , red , orange.....

all i know is it was one of does colors... LOL ... its been 3years i dont remember exactly . haha ;)

EVERYONE HAS AN iDevice ONE FORM OR ANOTHER. EVERYONE.

not me :) i dont support corporate Nazis

and :) WELCOME tp WP/WPcentral :)

Last edited:

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I already had an Xbox and Zune subscription. It made perfect sense. I'm self employed and use office365 so the exchange/sharepoint is a huge plus. And the office docs hub. I'm not a huge ms ****** but I do use their products. I find myself using my SkyDrive much more now because of this phone.

I would like to see the ability for more customization mainly in alerts and tones. We now have custom ringers.. I'd like custom SMS alerts per contact.

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

SanityFM

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I had an HTC HD2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 and Sense and I was one for flashing new ROMS. So I decided to Flash WP7 onto it, basically to see if I liked it ready for my next upgrade. I was apprehensive as it was a big change, less customization, not all of the functionality I was used to. But I found that none of that mattered and I absolutley loved the thing. It ran really smoothly and of course "it just works", which was a nice change from WM6.

I wont use Android. Its been around since Windows Mobile and has improved but it doesnt have a clear OS upgrade policy, plagued by second rate apps, and is not secure. Using it reminds me of Windows Mobile. Mostly, though, it doesn't have a singular cohesive GUI across devices and apps.

Since then Ive upgraded to Nodo and Mango without any problems and the experience has got better and better. Mango runs great on the HD2.

So now that phone upgrade time is approaching in January I will be buying myself a proper Windows Phone. WP7 was a breath of fresh air in Smartphone GUI arena, which is still kind of stuck in 2006, with grids of icons in grids of shortcuts that can do nothing more than display numbers. A Win98 start menu in a phone, if you will. Well been there - done that.

Ive since used an Iphone 4s for a few days at work, and there is no comparison in GUI. Iphone just looks half a decade out of date, and tired. They really need a GUI refresh, although they still have the best app portfolio and ecosystem intergration, for now. At least my Voice Command interface works outside the US, hehe.

My thoughts now are to buy a Nokia 4.3" screen WP in January, as long as they dont make too many changes to the OS. It would have been the Titan, as the natural successor to the HD7 and HD2, but its too big for me at 4.7". So HTC have lost me this time, after being a long time customer from the Touch Diamond days.

What with Windows 8 next year and the GUI harmonization across MS devices, the future is looking bright.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree with sanity. IOS is outdated looking. Great apps but it needs those apps because nothing is really integrated into the phone OS. Games are all over the place, but thats not that big of a deal to me. From the first time I saw the windows UI I was hooked. I wanted one at launch but iOS4 had just come out and finally had copy/paste and some other tricks. Could not really go back to not having copy/paste. I use it very often. So I was waiting and waiting for the update to come out. Then the iphone 5 was supposed to be announced soon so I decided to wait. Then that got pushed back so decided to keep waiting. Now I have waited long enough and mango is out as well and it looks great. Its fresh. No more grids of icons. No more same grey background in all the apps like iOS seems to have.

Hopefully in the next 2 years MS continues to push like they did for wp7. If they can continue to create new fresh idea I will be happy. iOS needs a major rework in my mind. Its way too static at this point in the technology age.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have had a smartphone since the i ditched the feature phone and pocket pc for the treo 600 then the 650 and 750 and Treo Pro when the pro cratered I got a pure it was too small so I got the tilt2 when win phone came along i ditched the heavy bulky tilt2 for the focus. I switched for lightness and loved the lookof the os Its been a breath of fresh air and mango makde it even better,

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I wanted to try something different. After numerous iPhones, WM phones, and a couple of Android phones, it was time for a change.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss