Why did you choose WP7?

velvetelvis

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
i had an ip4 when they first came out and it was great. until i started dropping call. a lot of them. i dropped over 150 calls in one month. i started calling everytime i dropped a call to complain. as soon as i said i wanted out of my contract and i didnt want to pay they let me early upgrade. i choose a motorola atrix.

what a piece of junk. the software was laggy, i still dropped calls and i had to do daily battery pulls. seriously, daily pulls. it was a thrill when i didnt have to. i went thru 4 atrix's (atri?) before they updated to gingerbread. that helped on the dropped calls but did not eliminate them. they were still more than should have been. gingerbread did help the software, but i dont want to have to tinker with my phone, i want it to work. so i put it on craigs list.

did a phone for phone swap to the focus i currently have. and odd as it may seem, no dropped call. well, maybe one or two. but nothing like the ip4 or atrix.

the software is smooth and reliable, especially since mango. the style is really attractive (ive gotten questions and compliments about it). but mostly, it just works. had it for a few months and have just recently had to do a battery pull. not sure what happened but suddenly my phone was saying my battery was dead an hour after coming off the charger overnight.

im excited to see what nokia has to offer, but realistacally the focus s looks to be my next phone. but its going to be a tough one. my wife, brother, sister, mom, dad, mom inlaw, and a lot of my friends all have iphone. it would be so convenient to have one also. and with the ant. being rejiggered that should help the reception issue. but, i dont like the screen size, no matter how damn good it looks.

anyway, i choose wp7 because i tried everything else, and it just works.

i also have to say for full disclosure, during most of my dropped calls problems i was traveling all over the the country. so i dropped calls in wa, or, ca, pa, nj, nm, nv, etc...
since ive had my focus ive gotten a new job that keeps me at home in sacramento where the reception is pretty good.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Heeelllloooo....Admin...Winning! lol

Seriously I have been in the Windows ecosystem sense the beginning of smart phones. When Sprint went only Andy I was forced to got one (EVO 4G) but I got tired of trying to make all my Microsoft stuff work correctly with Google. I never really liked the whole google thing and iOS well dont get me started. The day the Arrive landed at Sprint I was in the store checking it out. A week later I was paying full price for my new Arrive I love this platform.

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I had always liked the idea of a Zune Pass, I looked heavily into the Zune HD, but never pulled the trigger. When I switched from AT&T to Sprint I looked at the Arrive and really liked the OS. I ended up going with another BB, but after awhile I found it more and more frustrating.

long story short I took a risk and loved it, but I'd say Zune and Zune pass were the main selling points

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I chose WP7 because I was ready for a smartphone and WP7 had my attention. I liked its "anti-icon grid" approach. I'm also somewhat of a Microsoft ******, but if WP7 wasn't different I wouldn't have considered it at all.

Ivan006

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When I started using Zune software on my laptop for music, I liked it. Then MS introduced that they would be bringing out a phone. When I saw how the UI was similar to Zune, I was excited. At the time I had a Nokia dumbphone (very old model), so I figured I'd wait till the WP7 were released and get one. I was looking at the other phones and I basically wanted something like the BB, but a bigger screen like the iPhone. So when I saw the LG Quantum, it was like MS knew what I wanted. In two years, when my contract is up, I'll consider getting a Nokia WP7, but right now I love my WP7 and I don't envy anyone. ;-)

DontHate707

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ive been into smartphones ever since the iphone came out and was dying to get one for sprint which obviously didnt happen for awhile. android was always compelling but the performance of the os always turned me off, so i got a pre and fell in love with webos. after witnessing the sad fall of palm i needed to leave. i kept of with windows phone from there first announcement it always looked nice the zune interface appealed to me having owned a zune before. the whole os made sense to me the look and feel and when i seen how it performed i was convinced. so when the arrive came out for sprint i quickly through my dying pre to the floor lol and here iam today i love this phone and the os i cant wait to upgrade to a 4g nokia windows phone for sprint :)

mattpga

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I got my HTC Mozart last october (2010).

'id seen freinds with android, an ugly fragmented mess, iPhones, a grid of apps (yawn) and a small screen, not to mention outrageously expensive, and then windows phone 7 arrived. A great looking, elegant, easy, intuitive design, that all the others lacked, and was carried all the way through the UI and not just a manufacturers skin to hide the ugliness.

It just seemed more fluid, and alive, and even more so with the mango update. Its all just there in front of you.

And Xbox, Zune, the only music service that allows you to download music to your phone without buying it, and not just stream it (with a zune pass). I dont know any other that does that, much to the annoyance of an android friend.

These were the main reasons, it does what i want, the UI looks miles better than any other, and i dont need my glasses to peer at rows of tiny apps, its all there in front of me in nice easy to read tiles.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
For me, it was (also) a matter of progressing through Zune on the desktop, then a Zune pass and a ZuneHD32, and finally a Samsung Focus. I really liked the ZuneHD interface, and it was just a matter of time to decide which Zune/WP7 phone I was going to get. Why the Focus? a) the remarkable SUPER AMOLED screen, b) a replaceable battery, c) a 32GB-card option on top of 8GB, d) the optimal-for-me 4" screen/device size, and last, but not least, e) something that few users care about: the SAR ratings that are among the best/lowest in the industry. The timing of the purchase (mid-August) had everything to do ATT's $0 price. :)

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I had never seen WP7 before, but was in desperate need of an upgrade from my WinMo LG Incite. I picked up a Samsung Focus in an AT&T store and really loved the OS. Everything was so smooth. All the other phones (Android - I hate iPhones) were laggy and messy.

It was the best phone decision I've ever made.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Because I needed a phone that just works. Had an iPhone and loved it, but wanted something a little bit "personal". Plus I had a Zune pass. I was a BIG ringtone person and had a customized alert for everyone, but since using the phone, I actually don't miss it. At all. Like none whatsoever. Buying this phone made me feel like I actually found an Os I would keep for YEARS and not want to switch. Now all I need is my Nokia ;)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Never owned anything Apple so that was not an option. I avoid Google like the plague, so Android was out. Been a WinMo user since it was introduced. Didn't think I would like WP, at least not Gen1, so figured I would stick with WinMo for another year or two. After playing with the new devices on launch day, I was sold. Didn't like the oversaturated look of the Focus screen or the plastic feel, so I brought a Surround home, paid $399 off contract. Sold two of my Tilt2s (still have one) on eBay and almost broke even. Ready for an upgrade in May so hope Nokia has something special planned for 2012.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I got sick of dealing with the faults of Android (which are many), I didn't want an iPhone because I feel the screen is too small and don't like the look of iOS, and after playing with an HD7 in a T-Mobile store a few times I started loving it. Bought one at full retail and I love it. I haven't loved a phone this much since my Nokia 5300 Musik. As a result I am very excited for Nokia Windows Phones cause it is my favorite manufacturer using my favorite OS.

astroXP

Jul 1, 2011
twitter.com
Oh, I didn't chose it, Windows Phone [7 Series] chose me! I love how that sounds :p
No but seriously, I got my phone because I won it in a giveaway conducted by my beloved Microsoft, the same way I got for free a whole $500+ pack when Windows 7 launched.

But of course, even if I hadn't won I would had chosen WP7 because I was really hoping to get the "Zune Phone" (called that way at the time) after having a great experience with my Zune 4GB and then Zune HD.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I bypassed the whole smartphone craze so far. I almost bought an iPhone 13 months ago, but then cancelled the deal the next day. Thought seriously about a Nexus One a few months later but decided in the end I just didn't like Android. The first time I saw how WP7 worked I was in love and I knew *that* was going to be my first smartphone.

* love the live tiles/hubs approach to the start screen
* love all the integrated hub apps(social, search, music)
* love the Metro typography
* love the fact that you don't need beastly hardware for the OS to run buttery smooth
* the controlled app market

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa