Why did you choose WP7?

benzie

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I am coming back to WP7 after just trying the new iPhone 4S. Was not happy with the hardware at all. My new shiny 4S had this horrible rattle every time I sat it down and a washed out yellow screen. After much research I found that many people are reporting the same. Sorry, but for a device that retails at $600 +, I refuse to accept hardware issues or any imperfections. I used the HTC Trophy briefly and was overall very happy with it, except for some signal issues at my home. I also tried the Samsung Fascinate and found the os to be a huge mess. I simply need a phone that works. That is why I ordered another Trophy and I won't be leaving again. :)

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Why, it was simple really ...

My first smartphone was a WM phone. I liked the features - calendar, tasks, Mobile office, music, but the phone was so big and bulky and phone calls were terrible.
I then bought a Storm. I loved the Storm from day 1. It did what I needed - texts, email, bbm, great call clarity, and the battery didnt die without being heavily used in a day's time. I even liked Surepress - it was different. However, it never had enough working memory so even if I wanted to put apps on it, it would just lock up faster. I had the Storm for 30 months waiting for the Storm 3 (aka torch 9850 now) and had finally decided to stop waiting if there was something better. So considerations for a new phone were:
*It wasn't a Iphone - anything but icrap would be ok. Can't do the sheep route and don't like the apps everywhere appearance. I wanted something easily accessible for the main things I do.
*It wasn't Android - Can't tell you the number of times I see co-workers walking around with their chargers around 3 pm. And like my Storm, I didn't want to always be looking to see what app I hadn't killed in the background.
*I had a Zune30 and then a ZuneHD - would be nice to have it all on 1 device and use my Zune pass, but not the end of the world if I needed to maintain the 2nd device.
*Wanted to access spreadsheets and word documents and be able to either start or modify them on the go.
*Wanted to see my today calendar on the main screen
*I am on Verizon
*Touch screen that works - I want the whole screen, can't do the keyboard thing, and don't want the landscape slide as it adds to the bulkiness.
*apps aren't important if the phone has the features already

I started playing with the Trophy in the store, had read the reviews, and didn't see any near time frame hope of RIM getting a new touch screen to market. It had all of the things I wanted feature wise in the OS, but I was unsure about the battery life.
The tipping point was when I saw that the MS store had the phone on sale for a penny!
I love this phone!!!!!!! WP7 NoDo was good and WP7 Mango'd is even better. Battery life is at least 12 hours on a heavy day of texts and emails (which is typically only Mondays). I have my music and podcasts that I listen to in the car. I have a bunch of apps, mostly games, that enhance the phone and they work. The phone doesn't lock up.
All of the things I wanted, very little of the things I didn't and now looking to get the wife one when her next upgrade is ready. I just wish there was more memory for more music. The concept for this phone is brilliant, but needs more advertising to gain market share.
RIM simply took too long for me to consider otherwise, and now I don't know why they were still on the list.
Waiting now for the Windows tablet.

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Because it's a Zune player with a great phone built in one. Awesome OS and the greatest media player out there. The artist background and bios appearing while listening to an album, zune pass, tiles for all new albums uploaded and tiles for my recent history. IDK how anyone can believe that iPhones are better for music heads than WP7s

German1513

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I had a zune before, totally love the UI and the player, then I investigated about this new OS ms was working on, I loved everything since then, UI, music player, people hub,etc

Mike-Mike

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Because it's a Zune player with a great phone built in one. Awesome OS and the greatest media player out there. The artist background and bios appearing while listening to an album, zune pass, tiles for all new albums uploaded and tiles for my recent history. IDK how anyone can believe that iPhones are better for music heads than WP7s

I only recently took the leap to Zune and I can't believe how much I missed. The only Apple product i had was my 30 gig ipod video, and I thought i really liked it. But mainly it was jut the fact all my music was there.

After using Zune on my pc and WP7, I really realize how much my iPod was lacking interface wise. I really don't understand why Zune didn't get heavily marketed, or even with WP7 why not really market the Zune and Zune Pass

bosamar

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I got bored with my iPhone 3GS and have always been a MS fan. I love my HD7s and the Mango OS. It will only get better.

WPGenius

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll say this much, I WAS SOOOOO CLOSE to buying the iphone 4 when it came out, but i had stuck with my 3GS. But when I went to make a payment on my bill, I had just been drawn in by the tiles. Plus the notification sound caught me off guard. I had heard about WP7 a while ago myself, and thought it would be different as well. I caught myself going in and out of the ATT store for like a week just to play with the phones. I WAS SOLD on the fluidness of the OS in general. Like another person said, it JUST works. Granted it may not have all the apps, its simple! The info is all right there.

Top 5 things I like about WP7

1. Metro- Its sleek, and simple, not too much, not too less.
2. ZUNE- I owned a Zune a while back, and loved it, but didn't really like the Zune pass deal, but since they changed the rules on it, ITS Definitely a great investment.
3. Is it me or do these cameras on these phones take great pictures?....(That's a personal opinion though)
4. Tell Me- I actually Love this feature, it does what it supposed to do....Sorry Siri, and im a Apple Fanatic.
5.Battery Life- Probably the best battery life I've ever had on a smartphone. I was HIGHLY surprised by it.

I Like The iPhone, its fluid, but is outdated, but people are used to it, cant knock that. I've NEVER and I repeat NEVER owned an Android phone because its entirely too cluttered, and the battery life is like buying dollar general batteries. Windows Phone will have to work a little harder to get people BACK into it. The slogan should be, "Windows Phone......It Just.....Works.

wrong

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I got it because it's intuitive and clean/uncluttered. Office Hub with the office suite, I can log in to work SharePoint as well. Also because it's different,love the people hub and FB integration as well.

anti Apple and Droid is to labor intensive to use.

Last edited:

silentbob343

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking at jumping to WP7 because a screen with tiles of icons doesn't really do it for me. It seems silly, but I like the look. Android is a buggy mess no matter how many custom ROMs I try and the iPhone, while giving a wonderful UE, doesn't do it for me so WP7 is the only option for now.

Forgewizard

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
cuz hp booted me & this is the BEST OS

I used wince and win mo in the past and it was functional, but not snazzy or fluid. Moved to Palm and enjoyed their simplicity and intuitive OS as well as the 1,000s of apps from Palmgear. Moved up to WEB OS and was happy until hp pulled the rug out from under us. Researched the WP 7 for months and then drove around and around until I found a store rep willing to sell me one! Played with several Arrives at local Sprint stores and managed to show the reps a few things about the device they refused to sell to me (claiming upgrade ineligibility because of a palm pre warranty replacement and subsequent account change); but finally located a rep willing to work with me as well as give me a 75.00 deal!

I like this OS more each time I handle the device. A few more tweaks and enhancements coming down the homebrew like and it looks like I'll have my perfect pocket device!

Maybe because I've used smartphones for years now - but this one has been the easiest to operate and except for the initial perusal of the manual; I haven't had to consult it to figure out how to get things done!

Yep, this is an OS that may be rippling now, but looks like it could turn in to a tidal wave with just a bit more exposure!

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
The thing is while it's tempting to get an iPhone for the Retina Display, the iOS UI just is flat out boring. I use it everyday on my iPad and I'm already pining for the Metro UI with Windows 8. iOS = outdated.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I can not wait for a win8 tab. Then win8 on my desktop, and win8 on my Titan (hopefully). My dad has his 4S, iPad2 but old HP so only 2 of 3. Brother has 4S, MacBook, but no iPad so only 2 of 3. My setup will be true cross platform. Theirs will only be iOS on ipads and phones and OSX on their computers if they complete the hat trick.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I can not wait for a win8 tab. Then win8 on my desktop, and win8 on my Titan (hopefully). My dad has his 4S, iPad2 but old HP so only 2 of 3. Brother has 4S, MacBook, but no iPad so only 2 of 3. My setup will be true cross platform. Theirs will only be iOS on ipads and phones and OSX on their computers if they complete the hat trick.

Yeah this, I was looking for other smartphones besides the iphone when I found my carrier ( They got the iphone 4Gs now though ) and enter sites like engadget, phonedog and pocketnow.com and saw about the future of WP7, specifically W8tablets and the Mango update. And it gave me the confidence to jump in.

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got an LG Quantum as a prequel to my next Nokia device. I've always loved the Nokia hardware and now that Symbian is abandoned, I figured I'd better get used to WP7.

I like the LG, but really, I got it b/c I broke my e71 and am still waiting for an e7 or e6 type device in WP. I have usually preferred the e6/e71/blackberry style candybar qwerty phones b/c I need to be able to type one handed and hate virtual keyboards (have to look while typing). With voice texting getting to the point of usability now with Mango and the iPhone Siri thing, that requirement is receding for me to the point where I am willing to go with sliding horizontal keyboards. I trade some one-handed (no-look) usability and get the added screen real estate while still having a physical keyboard.

For me, I hate the proprietary nature of iDevices so it is really a choice between Android and WP7 devices. I know, I'll annoy some by saying so, but I don't give a hoot about the prettiness of the WP ui. Frankly, I don't even find it very pretty and the lack of have folders is, to me, a shocking omission coming from MS who practically invented the concept. As it stands, accessing programs is more unwieldy on this device than on my old s60 device. But it is faster and newer so I'm not pineing for my old phone - just saying that simply adding folders would be a huge improvement.

Also, I need swapable batteries, so the fact that I can cheaply buy batteries and chargers for the LG are a plus. I'm really hoping Nokia doesn't do like they did on the N8 and make their upcoming WP devices "sealed" (well, requiring a screwdriver to change anyway) battery devices. Anyways, that's another point against the iDevices for me as Apple will never give up their sealed and soldered battery preference. Android and WP are a tie here though as batteries are generally swappable with offerings for both.

That all said, the app selection is great (esp coming from an s60 device), but it is not quite Android or iDevice great. I had previously been using the nokia as a phone and kept an iPod touch for alot of apps. For things like foreign language apps, it looks like I'll still have to do so for now...

jlw17

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Here's Why

Honestly, because it's pretty.. And after using it I realized that it just works. I love it so much more than my blackberry or iphone. My dream phone (for now anyway) would be an iPhone 4s hardware running Windows phone.. I can dream, right? I've had my focus since last November. Love the software, ready for Nokia hardware. =]

Jonathan

Allthisforwhat

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
It was on sale, $50 for a three year contract. The data plan was good too. There was a free Xbox 360 included. I don't play video games so I had no idea what a Xbox was (no kids...).

I like it, it took a bit of getting used too since I had a pay as you go dumb phone for years. I now use the smart features more than the phone part.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans