can someone helpe me with my Sprint contract and moving to AT&T...?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
can the focus (or other AT&T GSM phones) be used on T-Mobile (in case AT&T isn't as great as I'm expecting it to be)? I found a guy who will sell his Focus for $150, so I plan on buying it today. It's going to be hard though, because I planned on trading in my Wii to try and get a 360 today too....expensive day indeed =(

It will work on T-Mobile, but you will only get 2G for data. The Focus is setup get 3G on AT&T in the U.S. and Europe.

You need to check the UMTS frequency on the phone. My Nokia N8 has pentaband (5 bands) and will get 3G on AT&T, T-Mobile or in Europe.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
so how will I be able to do this? this guy is ready to meet me to sell the phone in like 2 hours..?

I'm kind of excited, as I will get to use AT&T for ACTUAL 3G and not have to sign a contract and can opt out of it when I want to =D

Also, is the Focus oleophobic? I was under the impression it had the same Gorilla Glass as my Nexus S 4G (which handles fingerprints great)....?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
so i just got the Focus and mine this thing is sweet. The screen is even better than my Nexus S (imo), but I'm still scared to start the AT&T thing. I was going to, but when they talked about Pro-rating and stuff...idk...I couldn't do it at the time.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Idk...they told me my work discount won't apply because I won't be signing a two year contract. I'm about to call Sprint to see how much my ETF is....

Just call AT&T and buy a "Pay As You Go" SIM card. They are like $6.67 sent to you in the mail. You'll get it in a couple of days. You'll get a phone number with it. Online you can add talk time, a basic message package and a data package. Then you can see if you really like the phone.

Don't get a Pay As You Go SIM card from an AT&T store. They will charge you $60 for it. You have to do it over the phone.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Just call AT&T and buy a "Pay As You Go" SIM card. They are like $6.67 sent to you in the mail. You'll get it in a couple of days. You'll get a phone number with it. Online you can add talk time, a basic message package and a data package. Then you can see if you really like the phone.

Don't get a Pay As You Go SIM card from an AT&T store. They will charge you $60 for it. You have to do it over the phone.

You...sir....are my hero. So I'll have access to 3G and all that, and just pay as I go? How much does that normally run?

EDIT: Found someone who is selling me their's on Craigslist for 5 bucks. The only thing I don't like about this Focus is that Samsung apparently put a cheaper accelerometer in it, so it rotates so much slower than my Arrive (almost making it not feel like a Windows Phone at times because it's so slow).

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
You...sir....are my hero. So I'll have access to 3G and all that, and just pay as I go? How much does that normally run?

There are some options, I use an AT&T Pay As You Go SIM card in my HTC Trophy, which is my work phone. I am on the 10 cent a minute plan for voice. I buy a 200 message plan for $4.99 a month and 100mb data for $15.00 a month. Like I said, they have other options.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
There are some options, I use an AT&T Pay As You Go SIM card in my HTC Trophy, which is my work phone. I am on the 10 cent a minute plan for voice. I buy a 200 message plan for $4.99 a month and 100mb data for $15.00 a month. Like I said, they have other options.

According to the website, smartphone users must buy a data package =/

What am I to do now?

Here is the card I am going to buy BRAND NEW ATT & TMOBILE SIM CARDS

So according to you, everything should work and I should still be able to get 3G access and everything?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
According to the website, smartphone users must buy a data package =/

What am I to do now?

Here is the card I am going to buy BRAND NEW ATT & TMOBILE SIM CARDS

So according to you, everything should work and I should still be able to get 3G access and everything?

They have a 10MB data package for $5 a month. Like I said, I buy the 100mb data for $15.00 a month.

I know nothing about craiglist. Myself, I don't know if I would trust those SIM cards, but that's up to you.

You'll get 3G with the AT&T SIM card, but I thought you said you didn't want data from your first sentence? With the T-mobile SIM card, you will get 2G for data.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
They have a 10MB data package for $5 a month. Like I said, I buy the 100mb data for $15.00 a month.

I know nothing about craiglist. Myself, I don't know if I would trust those SIM cards, but that's up to you.

You'll get 3G with the AT&T SIM card, but I thought you said you didn't want data from your first sentence? With the T-mobile SIM card, you will get 2G for data.

Data is really the only thing I want. For voice, I can use my Sprint phone really until my contract is up, buy if I have to take minutes I'll take them.

I need unlimited (or 2GB or w/e) data because of E-mail and 200MB isn't close to enough for what I need...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Just an update: I am now trying to sell the Focus. Idk, I just didn't really think about how much that extra $20 or so a month will cost me for leaving Sprint over a long long period of time, even thought it's contract free (plus, they pro-rate you). Sprint is on the phone with me, but idk what they're going to be able to do because you can't just all of a sudden make 3G work in places that it never worked before....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6