Is there any way to NOT sync to Live?

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I understand that Android, Apple, and WP devices all sync contacts to their servers. Coming from a Symbian platform, I have never had to do this.

I do not like the idea and DO NOT want my contacts put onto the web like that. Not that I have any secret agent man contacts or anything, I just don't want my info there, period. I manage my contacts and related data on my own computer and back it up myself.

Is there any work around for this? Is there any way to not have my contacts synced to a web server?

Thanks,
-Pete

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Interesting. I don't see a way around it with a Windows Live ID. I looked both on the phone under setting/people and under manage contacts on my Windows Live account.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've read a lot of posts on a lot of sites asking for that ability. It was commonplace in the the Palm/Winmo era, but it's largely gone in cloud times. Privacy/security is about the only thing keeping Blackberry in business anymore.

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I don't like blackberries though and Meego seems stillborn.

The frustrating thing is that its probably not a deal killer for me. I'll just always be angry and resentful about it...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
How about Settings>Applications>People>Filter My Contact List. There you can toggle on/off Windows Live, Facebook and any other service you are using. I assume if you turn off Windows Live, contacts will no longer sync. But you will manually have to enter (and re-enter after a reset) contacts on your phone.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

SB_Pete

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
How about Settings>Applications>People>Filter My Contact List. There you can toggle on/off Windows Live, Facebook and any other service you are using. I assume if you turn off Windows Live, contacts will no longer sync. But you will manually have to enter (and re-enter after a reset) contacts on your phone.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Hmm, thanks Jim. That does seem to work, but with some caveats.

1. When I did it, all my contacts disappeared despite the fact that I did not import them through Live, but rather transferred from phone to phone at an AT&T store using their transfer device.

2. Don't I need to sync to Windows Live in order to use the app store? Get updates?

When I get a chance in the next couple weeks, I'll go back to the AT&T store, turn off the Live update, re-transfer all my contacts, delete contacts from Live, and see what happens. I'll post results back here.

Thanks again,
-Pete

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3