The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-27-2011 06:29 PM
201 ... 56789
tools
    What exactly would provide the wow factor? I dont consider the 710 as anything special but the 800 is basically an N9 and that has been praised for its design and build. Nothing so far from any other WP7 OEM has been as well received so I wonder what exactly it is that is lacking.
    I think that's just it - it's the N9. They didn't do anything new, but they DID have a long time to get where they are, they had special access to MS, and the phones still won't be out until 2012 in some markets. The question that no one has asked yet but you can almost see hanging in the air is "Is this it? What have you been doing for the last year or so?". If some people think the entirely new guts, new OS version, standout new feature iPhone 4S is a disappointment, how's a rehash of a phone chassis from another OS coupled with an OS we all already have with very few additional features above and beyond a year-old HTC Mozart look? The unavoidable answer is, not Earth shattering.

It's not that the 800 is a bad phone - it looks lovely. And it's great that there are deals to be had, and a cheap entry-level device (even if I think it looks like a dog's dinner). I think the negativity is coming from the fact that (so far), this really is it, and that that in itself is a surprise given Nokia's decision to go all out with WP7.

When the iPhone 4 came out, there was a real *wow* because of its looks (and that glass and steel form is still pretty wow today). The new Razr is a beast of a phone and as thin as a promise. The Galaxy Nexus is, well actually I hate it. But it's still a striking new design, and the inevitable Galaxy SIII is bound to be a head turner. The N9 though, as a design, has been knocking around for 6 months plus - an age in the mobile phone world for a "new" model. If today was the first time anyone had seen it, there would be a *wow*. But it isn't, so there's more deja vu than anything else. I think that's a little harsh, but I'm not sure that it wasn't inevitable without a new (or even tweaked) hardware appearance.
    10-26-2011 11:58 AM
    There is no FFC on the 710? Looks like there is one to me. What is the circle next to the ear piece? Wont affect me though. Just solidifies my Titan purchase.

Where is my damn Titan???
    10-26-2011 12:56 PM
    There is no FFC on the 710? Looks like there is one to me. What is the circle next to the ear piece? Wont affect me though. Just solidifies my Titan purchase.

That'll be the proximity and light sensor (for auto brightness) me thinks. :)

The place is awash with Titans here power5. Fed up looking at them. ;)
    10-26-2011 12:59 PM
    Probably the sensor to cut the screen off when it's up to your face.

10-26-2011 12:59 PM
    I'm onboard with 1jaxstate1, Pronk and Bodega_Bay (hey, I've been to Bodega Bay). Nokia has released ho-hum devices that don't scream "superstar." Yes, the 810 is pretty but it's not leaps and bounds above what is out there. I'm not even talking specs. Nokia really needs to get a design game changer out there and pronto. Like Pronk said, the 810already looks old.
    10-26-2011 01:00 PM
    From a design perspective, the 800 is pretty darn cool. There isn't anything like except for maybe the Fujitsu WP. For the first punch thrown from WP/Nokia, not bad.

If the Justin Beiber 14-19 year-old female demo gobbles up the 700 by the truckload, that will begin to build a legion of WP users. That's a good thing.

Might not be a bad call to go after a younger audience they only have to pry away from an iPod touch, those don't have 2-year contracts, at least mine doesn't.

This actually makes sense. They introduce a younger demo to the "cool colorful phones," release a tablet/blue tooth keyboard combo that is a natural progression that they can use for homework in HS and college and next thing you know TOTAL WP WORLD DOMINATION!!!

I'm up for a new phone in March, right around the time the 800 is rumored to bit att. Should be a good spring!
    10-26-2011 01:04 PM
    More advanced Nokia models later, but of course saying not a lot at the moment.

Nokia promises big changes in Windows Phone Apollo | News | TechRadar UK

:)
    10-26-2011 01:30 PM

With Microsoft and Nokia, it's always "later", "just wait and see", "next version." Kind of frustrating, really.
    10-26-2011 01:43 PM
    With Microsoft and Nokia, it's always "later", "just wait and see", "next version." Kind of frustrating, really.
    Yup aubreyq, as usual. :(
    10-26-2011 01:45 PM
    There has to be another device in almost positive I mean how did everyone say there would be three devices the ace has to be there somewhat big surprise. How could you drop the ball with your company on the line like this? Why not go all out with hardware and design the 800 has the design but they took away so much and didn't add anything but a camera button and the 710 looks terrible its nothing like there design concepts that looked amazing! This is suppose to be there main os why not come with a bang? iPhone 4s gave them the opening I dont understand hardware makers the only phones that are even considered competition to the high androids and the iPhone 4s are the titan and the focus s which are way nicer then both of these devices. But they even suffer from no expandable memory lack of a wow factor like c'mon ms! Its like they don't want to gain any market share. At this point the exclusive Nokia apps should just be released to every wp7 and ms should be working on the next big thing for Apollo not dual core but quad or whatever comes next front facing cams that do more then take pics and powerful back cams with the ability to edit the photo built in, a better way to navigate through the os, the support of better screens, update the native apps excessively with better useful features and cloud support and voice controls through out, bigger batteries, and give people the ability to customize! set better specs that hardware partners have to follow and have a wow factor! Something to make people go "oh I want that"! Like siri for ios or the face unlock for ics! I'm loosing faith in ms at this point. Looks like I'm destined to be a isheep lol greatttt
    Last edited by DontHate707; 10-26-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    10-26-2011 01:48 PM

that's what I thought ms and Nokia that's what I effing thought even they know these phones are not all that. Time to really step up.
    10-26-2011 01:52 PM
    I think we all were expecting a highend phone. I am keeping my Nokia N8 for now.
    10-26-2011 01:58 PM
    10-26-2011 02:26 PM
    Meh, Meh, Meh, Meh, MEH!.

Samsung and HTC offerings where better sadly :(
    10-26-2011 02:30 PM
    MS keeps playing the "just wait for XXXX!" game.
    that's what I thought ms and Nokia that's what I effing thought even they know these phones are not all that. Time to really step up.
    10-26-2011 02:33 PM
    I love the 800 except for no FFC. I feel like webOS all over again. Good enough phones for right now, but by the time they get released it's too late.
    DontHate707 likes this.
    10-26-2011 02:55 PM
    watching keynote at the moment, i actually though Blanca Juti did an interesting job at presenting nokia's ideas... at least i like these types more than the dull ones ive seen in the other two conferences so far, still watching...
    10-26-2011 03:21 PM
    watching keynote at the moment, i actually though Blanca Juti did an interesting job at presenting nokia's ideas... at least i like these types more than the dull ones ive seen in the other two conferences so far, still watching...
    Watch if you want... it ends badly....

well, blandly....
    10-26-2011 04:03 PM
    This is great! So what if the Nokia N800 is underspec'ed I assume Nokia and Microsofts objective is to move as many units as it can in Europe and other Areas where it isn't so Android and iPhone congested.

I checked the pricing with contract link: Nokia Lumia 800 Buy now - Nokia - UK

Basically carriers are giving this phone out for free and some of them will even give out a Xbox 360 damn great way to move units. Also the maximum price is 279 USD with a 1 year plan pretty damn good.

I haven't checked how much the 710's will cost but I assume its alot cheaper than the N800 I am still shocked they are giving phones out for free!

So what does this mean? The main problem with Windows phone isn't hardware or software its the lack of 3rd party support. Selling a powerful high-end hardware isn't the answer to increase marketshare to increase marketshare focus on the lower end and mid range phones and try moving as many as possible.

In regards to the US release I believe Nokia is planning a top-tier phone with FFC, NFC, LTE for the Tango release. Only in America where power really matters I am not sure about other countries.

Also in regards to FFC maybe it would of brought the price up or maybe Europeans aren't instreaded in video chat I am not sure but they for sure missed this oppourtunity but oh well it is what it is.
    10-26-2011 04:24 PM
    I
    Did you forget?.
    10-26-2011 04:38 PM
    They dropped the bomb in the specs that mattered like size of hard drive, front facing camera and CDMA bands.
    10-26-2011 04:39 PM
    They dropped the bomb in the specs that mattered like size of hard drive, front facing camera and CDMA bands.
    Sometimes I feel you're from another planet. :D
    10-26-2011 04:41 PM
    I think "Nokia N9" is a much cooler name than "Nokia Lumia 800"

not sure if that matters.. I want a keyboard, but if I didn't, that black N9/800 would work for me
    10-26-2011 04:46 PM
    HTC...and Samsung you have nothing to fear from Nokia. they have not...NOT even come close to the Focus S or the Titian.big fail.... all this time all this AMAZING stuff for a used design, small screen's and if your in the states tough. Really the only thing that stood out was the dive maps other than that eh. yes the 800 is sharp looking and for the folks who like small screens perhaps it is the one to get but for us who have the focus or the HD7 nothing to see here folks. the new Focus S and the Titian blow this middle range stuff out of the water.
    aubreyq likes this.
    10-26-2011 05:02 PM
    All they had to do was load WP7 on a Nokia N8.
    aubreyq likes this.
    10-26-2011 05:11 PM
201 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD