OFFICIAL Nokia World 2011 Thread.

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
I?'ve had time to decompress from my disappointment and might give Nokia a slight pass on this one. I?'ve worked on products that can take time to launch so I understand where Nokia is coming from. Within 10 months, they had to produce phones that would work with a completely new O/S. Yes, they had the N9 as a basis to start but I?m sure they needed to redesign internal components to comply with WP. That along with various stages of testing including agencies approvals adds a lot of time. Additionally, they had a mandate by Elop that Nokia WP phones will be released by end 2011. That?s quite a bit of pressure and from a business point of view, they really needed to show WP products in time for Nokia World and Holiday season.

Still, I wished they would have made their initial WP showing with a true flagship model? something bold that said ?Nokia is back!? Android has the Galaxy Nexus, iOS has the iPhone 4s. I think everyone here wanted Nokia to be the one that to made the WP reference phone.

I?m guessing (and hoping) they are indeed working on a WP ?superphone? that is still in testing and not yet ready to be released until Q1 2012. Maybe I?ll be surprised when I go to CES in Jan and visit Nokia?s booth. Maybe Ballmer will reveal new WP hardware in is keynote. Until then, I?ll just make do with the alternatives.
Exactly (except I think it's only been a little over 8 months since the partnership was announced (though it's wikipedia I'm getting this from)). My guess was that maybe the higher end phone just wasn't ready for showing yet. And it's not like it would've been easy for them to drop everything they were working on even though they announced they were planning on going WP all the way. They probably put a lot of work into the N9 and Asha and it would've been a waste if they never even tried to recoup some money from those projects by not completing them and releasing them even if they might just die off in favor of WP.

But, yeah, as I said earlier, I'm hoping that Elop's "portfolio" comment meant that a 900 series phone will be released in the US, especially with the mention of CDMA and LTE.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Now that I think about it, they have worked blazingly fast. The Nokia/Microsoft partnership was announced early this year and this phone came out just a month after the N9.

gazziza

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
What exactly would provide the wow factor? I dont consider the 710 as anything special but the 800 is basically an N9 and that has been praised for its design and build. Nothing so far from any other WP7 OEM has been as well received so I wonder what exactly it is that is lacking.

No, the 800 is not "basically" an N9. If it was, there would be NO complaints about it. It took a few steps down from the N9. Smaller screen, no FFC, no options for internal memory storage. I mean they already had a blueprint down in place, why couldn't they just keep the body and camera the same? I think it's inexcusable that they dumbed down the Lumia 800. I agree that hardware specs like how many cores or gigahertz the cpu has is not as relevant on a WP7.5 phone but features are extremely relevant if Nokia and MS are serious about the phone market. It's Nokia's first WP7.5 device, not their first device, so they should know better. They should have come out with a full fledged phone right off the bat to get good press. Nokia is not in a situation financially where they can afford to "test" the waters. They need to make an impact statement right off the bat and with as many disappointed people as there are, I would say they failed to do so. I mean, what was the motive for removing the FFC, especially with Skype being a part of MS now.

I'm let down by this announcement and probably will jump to the Focus S. The Lumia 800 comes sometime early 2012 and barring any drastic changes I don't see an FFC coming. When will their flagship phone come out, even later? Most people don't want to wait another 5 or 6+ months for their flagship to come out.

Last edited:

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
What also counts against Nokia is their high prices especially if you buying the device unlocked. I think companies like HTC have a strong edge in this.

HchQue

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
What also counts against Nokia is their high prices especially if you buying the device unlocked. I think companies like HTC have a strong edge in this.

so tru!
you can get an omnia w for ?330, the 800 is going for ?442. I know the 800 has a better design and build. But its missing a FFC! and the screen is almost the same! 800 isnt ?100 better!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

What high prices? The 800 is 420 Euros and the 710 is 270 Euros, both cheaper than the Titan and Radar. The 800 is going to be offered for free on contract with extra bonuses like a free Xbox. The 710, who knows how cheap that will go for on contract. The Titan was prices at over 500 Euro's at launch, how is the Nokia more expensive?

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at the current price, for example of a HTC HD7 which cost me $ 300 as opposed to my N900 which cost me the better part of $ 500. The N9 is going for $ 600 plus for those who are able to get hold of them. Yes, the 800 and 710 are probably going to be priced competively to get them into the mainstream as quickly as possible but i am looking ahead at the Nokia 900/Ace, etc. Bear in mind Nokia smartphones were seldom offered as a package here in the USA. So if you wanted a Nokia smartphone you had to buy it for the retail price. Hopefully the USA carriers will be stocking and offering such low cost packages.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I am a little disappointed. Nokia Lumia is beautiful, amazing and powerful. Honestly though, haven't we seen this before? I am literally. I think allowing for these leaks and Microsoft saying they will show a lot of phones ... and they only shown two, is a little bit of downer.

Is Nokia World over or has it just began? Maybe they have more phones to surprise us.

I still want one of these sexy things!

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hardware aside, I was thinking about the Nokia Music service announced. I kind of wonder if this isn't a bit of an underrated gem they are releasing here.

From the front page:

You can stream unlimited music, like many services, but more importantly, it is customized towards your tastes based on song choices and also something called "Music DNA". Music DNA is the ability for Nokia to scan your PC's music catalog for music and then recommend further music selections based on your possessions. So, it's like Zune's Smart DJ. What's cool about this is both the ability to do it and the fact that it is completely optional (for those concerned with privacy). What's more, you can do "playlist" channels based on genres you like and download up to four channels for off-line listening. Each channel equals about 3 1/2 hours of music, meaning you can get nearly 14 hours of offline music stored on the device for playback, all for free. Very cool.

I agree - very cool. This may be the killer app that will make me get a Nokia phone after all. I just am really, really disappointed to not see an FFC. Torn between two killer features I guess.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Feels like the IP4s announcement. The forum feels disappointed but that may not be the general opinion. While I'm not trying to defend Nokia (**** they still have another day left), I think a lot of these disappointed posts are going to change their tunes come later this year or next whenever new Nokia phones are announced.

And to step on my soapbox for a minute: You all are complaining about the phone being a rehashed N9 with a lack of FFC...........BUT HTC gave you all a Sensation XL with WP7 and Samsung gave you a Galaxy phone with FFC and were happy like pigs in slop LMAO. I mean really? Had they kept the FFC you all would be okay? LOL. *steps down*

No, the 800 is not "basically" an N9. If it was, there would be NO complaints about it. It took a few steps down from the N9. Smaller screen,I'm let down by this announcement and probably will jump to the Focus S. The Lumia 800 comes sometime early 2012 and barring any drastic changes I don't see an FFC coming. When will their flagship phone come out, even later? Most people don't want to wait another 5 or 6+ months for their flagship to come out.

The only reason the screen is smaller is because Home key row is digital so that uses screen estate. So technically it really is the same screen size. Secondly, I'm not sure about you, but I don't have 600 dollars just waiting for a new phone especially with the holidays coming up so I'm pretty sure with those that do have to wait, when they are ready to make a purchase there will be new material out there to browse

L

lumic

I'm disappointed by reactions. Not targeting people here, but mainly at other sites.

"OMG NO US RELEASE"
Lovely that all the news outlets failed to (initially) mention that Nokia is going to be bringing a portfolio LTE and CDMA handsets next year to China and the US.

And even if they don't bring anything, blame the damn carriers. From what I hear, the US carriers are possibly the worst people for Nokia to work with when trying to push a new wave of devices for a new platform.

The Focus S appears to be shaping up as another US exclusive. The fact is, you guys get SO many exclusives - only this year have I seen a few devices trickling down into Australia.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think a lot of people will be tempted by upgrade deals, but the real "cost" will only be settled a month or so after launch. Prices always drop then as people start selling unwanted upgrades on eBay etc.

HchQue

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
So I just tried out the lumia 800 at phones 4u And all I can say is wow!.THE SCREEN IS AMAZING, I'M NOT JOKING. curving the screen was the BEST decision ever, the finger just flows so smoothly off the screen. And it's fast, couldn't really test Nokia maps though. Even my mate who's a proper apple fan was amazed by the screen and the build. I can't believe how such a subtle curve can make SUCH huge difference! I don't care that it doesn't have a front camera anymore... If your in the UK go and try it, it's in most stores but still with November 16 date.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I wished it had had a slightly larger screen, and more storage, but the 800 is still a very nice device, and most people will be VERY happy with it. I may even replace my Focus with this when comes to the states despite the 3.7" screen.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm disappointed by reactions. Not targeting people here, but mainly at other sites.

"OMG NO US RELEASE"
Lovely that all the news outlets failed to (initially) mention that Nokia is going to be bringing a portfolio LTE and CDMA handsets next year to China and the US.

And even if they don't bring anything, blame the damn carriers. From what I hear, the US carriers are possibly the worst people for Nokia to work with when trying to push a new wave of devices for a new platform.

The Focus S appears to be shaping up as another US exclusive. The fact is, you guys get SO many exclusives - only this year have I seen a few devices trickling down into Australia.

From what I've heard, LTE will require the Apollo update and I just saw this article stating that the Apollo update is expected around mid-year 2012. That would push back the US release of LTE to the third quarter of 2012 at the earliest. That's another year lost.

That said, if they introduced a high end CDMA phone on Verizon, I could live without the battery drain that LTE seems to entail, at least on Verizon.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I just tried out the lumia 800 at phones 4u And all I can say is wow!.THE SCREEN IS AMAZING, I'M NOT JOKING. curving the screen was the BEST decision ever, the finger just flows so smoothly off the screen. And it's fast, couldn't really test Nokia maps though. Even my mate who's a proper apple fan was amazed by the screen and the build. I can't believe how such a subtle curve can make SUCH huge difference! I don't care that it doesn't have a front camera anymore... If your in the UK go and try it, it's in most stores but still with November 16 date.

The 800 would of been the perfect phone for me aside from three things.

1) Not coming to America. :p
2) No front facing camera.
3) The camera is so-so.

I could probably live with an alright camera but I can't see myself signing up for a two year contract without a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype integration is right around the corner. I enjoy my Focus and it takes really good pictures, however, its "cheap" feel is starting to bug me. I was really hoping to pick up an 800 and give my girl my Focus (with a case for added protection). And while everyone wants a bigger screen, I think 3.7-4 inches is fine for me. In fact, the Focus S at 4.3 is too IMO. Sadly, at least for now, if I want to "upgrade" there still aren't too many choices.

HchQue

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
The 800 would of been the perfect phone for me aside from three things.

1) Not coming to America. :p
2) No front facing camera.
3) The camera is so-so.

I could probably live with an alright camera but I can't see myself signing up for a two year contract without a front facing camera, especially considering that Skype integration is right around the corner. I enjoy my Focus and it takes really good pictures, however, its "cheap" feel is starting to bug me. I was really hoping to pick up an 800 and give my girl my Focus (with a case for added protection). And while everyone wants a bigger screen, I think 3.7-4 inches is fine for me. In fact, the Focus S at 4.3 is too IMO. Sadly, at least for now, if I want to "upgrade" there still aren't too many choices.

1) Bummer! :(
2) Yeah, i was annoyed at this, but I never use skype for videochat, just free calls ;) so i could live it.
3) I actually thought the camera was good, and sharp, i think the iphone 4s has an ever so subtle edge though.

If there is one thing this phone is not, its cheap! it feels proper solid, i wouldnt mind dropping it (i could not test this out unforutantely). Im always worried about dropping an iphone 4 and having the back glass crack XD, no such worries here...

yh, im with u on screen size, i think anything above 4inchs is too big for phone :/

Dont they have shorter contracts in the states? I just came out of an 18mnth contract and i thought that was WAY to long. Im planning on a 12mnth contract for the nokia, and then jumping ship to appollo :D

But, if it does hit US shores early next year, go try it. The feel of the screen might be enough to make you forget about the missing FFC. I found it quite impressive in person, and I'm willing to forgive its missing FFC in lieu of the amazing quality and that screen.

The screen felt so good, ive got an android and apple ****** ready to place an order XD . I think its because the screen has no rim, ur finger just swipes off the endge, it feels nice. When you try a titan, there is this slightly sharp border, iphone 4 is ok, there isnt a border, but nokia really did nail it with curved display, and it works well in sunlight!

wow, i wrote a lot, but i just love this phone after using it in 3 different shops. everytime i'd see it in another shop in the mall. i'd just pop in for a play :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium