Will my Focus upgrade to Mango without having a SIM?

bassballboy

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm running a Focus via wifi only, and I'm hoping I can upgrade to Mango without running through a dangerous upgrade route or one that will make it so I have to manually update for eternity...

Do I need a SIM card to be able to update or will the phone realize an update is available over wifi sometime? It's been connected for the last ~5 hours and ran a couple of upgrades already, but it's till running NoDo.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
No promises, but from what I have read, that should not be an issue. Of course, if your phone currently has an AT&T ROM installed, for example, you will get an update for an AT&T device. Plug into Zune (Settings>Phone>Update) and check for updates rather than waiting for your phone to tell you an update is available.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Red Lemur

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I completely upgraded one of my phones the other day from an early version of WP7 to Mango without ever putting the sim card in so you should be fine.

It wasn't continuous - i.e. I had to try clicking update (in Zune) quite a few times / over a period of hours before it notified me of the NoDo to Mango update - but that's normal, and there's a few tricks on the forum to help speed up that process. Rather than using WiFi though I would use a USB lead whilst checking for updates (via Zune as jimski above explains).

So in answer to your question yes you can :)

Good luck with it. Mango is great.

bassballboy

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the info guys. I had the phone plugged into the computer and used Zune software on it but haven't gotten it to update to mango yet. Maybe I'll try hitting update a lot like said above, also might try turning the wifi off on the phone... we shall see, here's to hoping it works sometime soon!

bassballboy

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
So hooking the phone up via USB then disabling the wifi on the phone and running the update check in the Zune software yields error 80072FA8....

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
But one of the earlier posters said that he had done the update without a sim card in at all when his device uses a sim card.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans