Got a great showing of my Phone Today.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
*Warning Long Read*

So I was in Art class with a fellow student and we took some art books from the professor for insight and we fall in love with a certain book. After a while she casually told, God I wish I knew how much it was.

I then though, EUREKA! I'm going to use Bing Vision to see if it works. I got up and scanned the book next to her and saw the different prices, I told is 8.51$, she was like wow that's kind of expensive, I told well here are other prices in different stores. She then stopped talking for a second quickly follow by a "HOLY ****", what the he.ck did you do?
" I scanned the book so I could see it's price" she ( while still on disbelief ) told me, wow your phone is creeping me out.

I laugh and said, her phone does the same thing, is called Google Goggles but she didn't even listened because she stop my words and was like "Professor! ________ took a picture of your book and the phone told him the price!", the teacher was like, yeah that's impossible, she forced me to go to the teacher and scan his book, which I did, he then quickly took back a real old ( and I'm guessing rare book ) in Spanish and told me " check this one" I did but nothing appeared. I tried again ( turns out the connection died for a second ) but still nothing, then the phone show me the name of the phone only, I click on it and bing opened, I click on the amazing link and voula' the phone was there but with a different cover, the teacher saw it and smiled.

Back to me classmate, she wanted me to scan the other book again to see if it will work again, obviously did and then I was like, it's time to get cocky, I show her that you can translate the title, I translate it to Spanish ( my main language ) and I have to tell you, I had never seen someone with her eyes opened that big.

The Teacher hearing that asked me, if I had an Iphone 4S. I told him it was a Windows Phone. He stood silent for a second, is that an Android? I told him, nop it's windows, You mean Microsoft phone but runs Android right? I was like no no, it's a windows phone. He said my phone was cool =)

Last edited:

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Ignorance is bliss. The average consumers with smartphones have so much accessibility at their fingertips but don't know how to use it

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Good marketing on your part

Nice going, Winterfang. I have to remember about Bing Vision when I run into a similar situation.

*Warning Long Read*
The Teacher hearing that asked me, if I had an Iphone 4S. I told him it was a Windows Phone. He stood silent for a second, is that an Android? I told him, nop it's windows, You mean Microsoft phone but runs Android right? I was like no no, it's a windows phone. He said my phone was cool =)
This part is heartbreaking. Your teacher actually thought Microsoft would build a phone that runs Android, of all things! It goes to show how poorly Windows Phone has been marketed. I had a friend of mine ask me why was I still using Windows Mobile. I said, "No, I'm using Windows Phone 7." His reply was, "Is there a difference?" He wasn't mocking me, he genuinely didn't know.

Some have said that Microsoft has been waiting on Nokia phones to be ready in order to REALLY start marketing Windows Phone. If that's the case, I hope they go all out. It was the Droid that put Android on the map. With Android, if you notice, it's the actual PHONES that get marketed while Android sort of takes a backdrop. It has worked well for Android, and now people know what an Android phone is. Microsoft should do the same with Windows Phone, but they need a SUPERSTAR phone to push. They can show what the "X phone" can do, and casually mention "running Windows Phone" at the end. Showing three different phones at the end of a WP commercial never struck me as effective. They could've pushed the Samsung Focus on its own, but it quickly became a "cheap on contract" phone and probably lost a little "cachet."

I only have a USA perspective but I'd like to see what those in other countries have to say about WP marketing.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar experience one time. I was eating with some friends and one guy had made business cards with a qr code on it. He wanted to know if it worked, so I whipped out my phone and went to bing vision before the iphone crowd could unlock there phones and scanned the code. The guy with the business card was pretty impressed that it worked so quick. Score one for WP7!

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how easy it is to impress some people. Especially when your phone doesn't lag or have a dead battery every time you whip it out :p

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nice going, Winterfang. I have to remember about Bing Vision when I run into a similar situation.

This part is heartbreaking. Your teacher actually thought Microsoft would build a phone that runs Android, of all things! It goes to show how poorly Windows Phone has been marketed. I had a friend of mine ask me why was I still using Windows Mobile. I said, "No, I'm using Windows Phone 7." His reply was, "Is there a difference?" He wasn't mocking me, he genuinely didn't know.

That's totally Microsoft fault, Windows Phone sounds like a phone running Windows. It makes me think of the Palm Treo actually.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Maybe he was thinking about all the news that shows MS hitting up Abdroid makers for money for their patents and licensing fees for every android phone sold.

Some have said that Microsoft has been waiting on Nokia phones to be ready in order to REALLY start marketing Windows Phone. If that's the case, I hope they go all out. It was the Droid that put Android on the map. With Android, if you notice, it's the actual PHONES that get marketed while Android sort of takes a backdrop. It has worked well for Android, and now people know what an Android phone is. Microsoft should do the same with Windows Phone, but they need a SUPERSTAR phone to push. They can show what the "X phone" can do, and casually mention "running Windows Phone" at the end. Showing three different phones at the end of a WP commercial never struck me as effective. They could've pushed the Samsung Focus on its own, but it quickly became a "cheap on contract" phone and probably lost a little "cachet."

I only have a USA perspective but I'd like to see what those in other countries have to say about WP marketing.

I think and hope that MS and Nokia and HYC will start yo catch up in the meinshare advertising side of this and Nokia gets out some wow tomorrow morning

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

Maybe he was also thinking of this theres been a lot of news lately about android manufacturers payiing license fees to MS for patents etc

Hopefully Nokia will show off some serios wow tomorrow morning

Hopefully the advertising money from MSD and Nokia and HTC will start paying off in mindsetshare and momemtum

Peter McCain

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I like bing vision, it works really fast and it's an impressive feature for most ppl. I don't have a wp yet, but whenever i go checkout a phone in the store I played that trick and always gets attention :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa