What would your next upgrade be?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I was into the Titan, until I realized that the screen instead of being flat, sticks a little big out. This is terrible since it means that putting the device upside down will turn it into a scratch factory.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I was into the Titan, until I realized that the screen instead of being flat, sticks a little big out. This is terrible since it means that putting the device upside down will turn it into a scratch factory.

wow really? wtf I never heard of this....hmm this changes things then...

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I am torn. I'm ready to kick T-Mo to the curb so I am tempted to be down at an ATT store on the 6th for the Focus S. But, I really don't want a plasticy, cheap feeling phone, so I may try and tough it out until Nokia reveals their US portfolio. If the Ace's rumored specs are true and it has build/design similar to the Lumia 800 I am in. ****, if they just brought the Lumia 800 here I'd be in. Build quality is more important to me than a huge screen and I have no desire for a Front Camera.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Sunday or Monday I'll try to go play with a focus s and flash if I can The Titan ma be out Monday Could be three birds with one stone but probably waiting to see what Nokia Ace looks like hands on.

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm kind of in wait and see mode right now. I really like the Nokia Music service announced the other day, but was disappointed with the hardware.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Although I have to be honest here and admit that if the Samsung Galaxy Note gets released in the US, and soon enough that it's specs aren't outdated when it happens, I'm gone like Donkey Kong.

*erects flame shield +1*

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Note that for Lumia 800:

1. Lumia does NOT have Gorilla Glass! (I checked everywhere on Nokia's website and they didn't mention this feature at all for Lumia 800, will they miss such a feature?)

2. Lumia is quite thick (12.1mm compared to Focus S' 8.5mm)

3. Capacitive buttons are too close to the screen, easy accidental clicks

4. Pentile Matrix AMOLED, subpixels density is subpar. (though the actual image should be better than SAMOLED+ because of ClearBlack)

5. Door design for microUSB plug, which you are gonna use almost everyday, and the more complicated it is, the higher the chance it is to get broken.

6. No FFC for upcoming Skype integration (I don't care about this point tho).

The pros of Nokia I won't mention here. It has many advantages such as build quality, carl zeiss optics, Nokia maps, awesome body and etc.

Just my 2 cents for a fair view at Lumia 800

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
N9 is just plastic though. Titan screen will be fine, just need to put it under a clear shield.

Nope. N9 got real Gorilla Glass screen, whereas Lumia 800 does not.

So for N9 you probably don't need screen protector. Lumia 800 needs one for sure - it's not even scratch-resistant glass.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
And its definitely just as in harms way as the titan.

4S has gorilla glass and users of both the 4 and 4S have been saying they get small scratches much easier than they expected. Apparently there is some coating on the iPhone glass that is prone to scratches.

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

4S has gorilla glass and users of both the 4 and 4S have been saying they get small scratches much easier than they expected. Apparently there is some coating on the iPhone glass that is prone to scratches.

Nah... 4S and 4 do NOT have gorilla glass. Apple discontinued the deal after 3GS. All they got now is just scratch-resistant glass.

Anyway, even gorilla glass can get scratched by sand.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

There must be a different coating they use on the iPhone. My wife and I both have Nokia N8's with gorilla glass for about a year and a half and neither phone has any type of scratch on the screen.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
In all reality I think my next upgrade will be a WP8, but if I had the choice right now, I'd probably go with a Titan. It's all about the size. I love the Nokia 800, but it's just too small for me (having owned my HD7 since it's release).

desmonium

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
In all reality I think my next upgrade will be a WP8, but if I had the choice right now, I'd probably go with a Titan. It's all about the size. I love the Nokia 800, but it's just too small for me (having owned my HD7 since it's release).

How about pixel density?

I'd really like to do things with one hand sometimes. With Titan I don't think I am able to do that with my thumb. For example, when you have to call someone, you either have to break your thumb or lick the phone tile up in the top-left corner to complete that action.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am torn. I'm ready to kick T-Mo to the curb so I am tempted to be down at an ATT store on the 6th for the Focus S. But, I really don't want a plasticy, cheap feeling phone, so I may try and tough it out until Nokia reveals their US portfolio. If the Ace's rumored specs are true and it has build/design similar to the Lumia 800 I am in. ****, if they just brought the Lumia 800 here I'd be in. Build quality is more important to me than a huge screen and I have no desire for a Front Camera.

well I would go check it out in person before you write any device off. I would like to try and check out the focus and flash and titan on November 5 or 7. The titan my be out on the 7th.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
1. Lumia does NOT have Gorilla Glass! (I checked everywhere on Nokia's website and they didn't mention this feature at all for Lumia 800, will they miss such a feature?)

2. Lumia is quite thick (12.1mm compared to Focus S' 8.5mm)

3. Capacitive buttons are too close to the screen, easy accidental clicks

4. Pentile Matrix AMOLED, subpixels density is subpar. (though the actual image should be better than SAMOLED+ because of ClearBlack)

5. Door design for microUSB plug, which you are gonna use almost everyday, and the more complicated it is, the higher the chance it is to get broken.

6. No FFC for upcoming Skype integration (I don't care about this point tho).

1313440823492.png

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
well I would go check it out in person before you write any device off. I would like to try and check out the focus and flash and titan on November 5 or 7. The titan my be out on the 7th.

I have checked out many, many Samsung phones over the past 16 months (Galaxy S {multiple variants}, Galaxy S2 {Sprint's version}, Nexus S, Focus, and some of their lower end phones that I don't remember names of) and unless they have DRASTICALLY change their build quality for the Focus S over all their other phones, which I highly doubt, I won't like it. I haven't liked the feel of a single one of their phones in the past 16 months. And as far as the Titan, I know it isn't hugely bigger than an HD7, but I already think my HD7 is too big, so any bigger than my HD7 is an issue. I know it's thinner, but it is the diagonal distance across the screen that is too large, I hit the search button ALL THE TIME with my hand when I am trying to click something in the upper left corner of my phone when using it one handed (which is how I use my phone 80% of the time). I mean, I love the 4.3" screen when I use it to watch a movie once every three months, but other than that it stinks. It makes the phone harder to use. Because WP devices all have the same resolution you, don't get any more information displayed on the screen, the info displayed is just larger and more pixelated. All of these issues will be even worse on the Titan than they are on the HD7 and it isn't something I am interested in at all.

Honestly out of all the devices announced for the US so far, the Radar is my favorite except for two big issues I can't get passed: it is on T-Mobile (who I want to leave) and it only has 8 gigs of storage. I am currently using 10 of my 16 gigs on my HD7, and that is with deleting pictures after they upload to skydrive.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb