Metro UI Still With Us In The Future (Future Vision)

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
While I do like Metro on my phone, I don't think I want it to be everywhere in my life. Microsoft went a little overboard with this video.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The future has looked just as amazing for every generation but the outcome has always been the same. Let down. Look at our parents generation. When they were growing up flying cars and space travel (beyond our moon) was the future. Very little of it has come to life yet. In some way things have. Moving sidewalks on the jetsons and such, but still a long way off from most of it.

I do think win8 and beyond will allow a lot of that passing from device to device interaction. I just hope its like in the video. Where I fling it to my next device. Flip it up to my wall mounted TV. Capture it on my handheld and then interact with it there. But I am skeptical of how to get it from my TV to my device without touching the TV. I would love a virtual corkboard like the video. All those clear devices are a long long way off in my opinion. Power and circuitry need to be someplace in our devices. I would say we are 30 years out from that video. Not the interaction, but the devices. I hope cryo freezing advances more than technology in that amount of time though. It would be nice to be able to come back in another 100 years. I wish I was my 4 year old Daughter instead of her 33 year old dad. She will have lots of much cooler tech than I will have had.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The future has looked just as amazing for every generation but the outcome has always been the same. Let down. Look at our parents generation. When they were growing up flying cars and space travel (beyond our moon) was the future. Very little of it has come to life yet. In some way things have. Moving sidewalks on the jetsons and such, but still a long way off from most of it.

I do think win8 and beyond will allow a lot of that passing from device to device interaction. I just hope its like in the video. Where I fling it to my next device. Flip it up to my wall mounted TV. Capture it on my handheld and then interact with it there. But I am skeptical of how to get it from my TV to my device without touching the TV. I would love a virtual corkboard like the video. All those clear devices are a long long way off in my opinion. Power and circuitry need to be someplace in our devices. I would say we are 30 years out from that video. Not the interaction, but the devices. I hope cryo freezing advances more than technology in that amount of time though. It would be nice to be able to come back in another 100 years. I wish I was my 4 year old Daughter instead of her 33 year old dad. She will have lots of much cooler tech than I will have had.

FYI, most of the stuff in that video alredy exist..!!

- Holodesk (obviously more refined then the one they have now )
- that Coffey table ( when u put your phone on it a bunch of stuff pulls up )
- fliping up to wall mount TV from coffeytable to Phone to tablet
- and all the rest of the technologies is also around just not use at a consumer level , (mostly still in labs )
-transparent screens we also have (samsung is working on transparent AMOLED screens )

5-10 years! tops!!

we dont have flying cars cause its not practice , just like we dont have Jetpacks , cause there are no fail safe ( engine fails = YOUR DEAD , lol )

we have moving sidewalks!! never been to a airport? lol ;)

and the reason we dont have much of the SCIFI things they were talking about 20years is related to the Economies, we simply dont have the resource or cash to take it that far. B ut the theologies DOES exist!!

look at the USA , they KILELD the space programe :( 100% related to CASH$$$$

Last edited:

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Last edited:

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Bet $50 that Microsoft decides Metro was a bad design choice and they come up with something else in about 5 or so years. Microsoft has a bad habit of doing that.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Bet $50 that Microsoft decides Metro was a bad design choice and they come up with something else in about 5 or so years. Microsoft has a bad habit of doing that.

like what?

i think Metro will never die, but we will see it change dramatically like on the phones in that vid... i wish my WP UI looked like that!!! different size tiles where ever you want.

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

As much as I like the Metro UI (and I truly do), I do wonder how well it will "wear". I remember when they introduced the iPhone and it looked so new and fresh and innovative. Now it just looks stale. I'm afraid that the Metro UI will look stale after a few years time. I hope I'm wrong.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
FYI, most of the stuff in that video alredy exist..!!

- Holodesk (obviously more refined then the one they have now )
- that Coffey table ( when u put your phone on it a bunch of stuff pulls up )
- fliping up to wall mount TV from coffeytable to Phone to tablet
- and all the rest of the technologies is also around just not use at a consumer level , (mostly still in labs )
-transparent screens we also have (samsung is working on transparent AMOLED screens )

5-10 years! tops!!

we dont have flying cars cause its not practice , just like we dont have Jetpacks , cause there are no fail safe ( engine fails = YOUR DEAD , lol )

we have moving sidewalks!! never been to a airport? lol ;)

We have none of what you said yet. In Labs, yes. There is much more stuff than that in labs too. That means nothing. Just that the tech is being worked on. MS Surface had great potential. Wondering where it went. Looked pretty much complete 5 years ago. Still have not seen anyplace with an actual unit. Have not seen any devices where I can walk into my TV room and flip my movie from my Tablet to my TV. Sure I can stream from my server to any unit in the house, and with correct software I could possibly start the movie in the same place but nothing nearly as seamless as in the video. Transparent screens are one thing. The devices those actors were interacting with were 100% transparent. The note card the valet had. How was that getting power? Where was the motherboard or any other component of it? All the clear screens still have a frame and opaque areas to hide all the components.

There was nothing to save you in a car crash in 1910. You hit a tree you were dead most likely. Google quantum levitation or quantum trapping. Will show you that we can have flying cars that don't touch the ground without worrying about death if the "motor" fails. A jet pack could easily have a parachute in it. I know we have moving walkways. That is one of the only inventions that is fully working in real life.

Save my post for 30 years and see how far off I was. The hardware is many years off. The interaction is not as far off. I mean a refrigerator door that is a clear LCD? We dont really even have any refrigerators with small LCD stuck to the door.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
As much as I like the Metro UI (and I truly do), I do wonder how well it will "wear". I remember when they introduced the iPhone and it looked so new and fresh and innovative. Now it just looks stale. I'm afraid that the Metro UI will look stale after a few years time. I hope I'm wrong.

The closer something sticks to the KISS rule, the longer it will last. Simple and efficient does not go out of style.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
it's funny, half of you prob don't remember pre-cell phone and pre-internet. The last 20 years have been pretty amazing.

ryude

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
The closer something sticks to the KISS rule, the longer it will last. Simple and efficient does not go out of style.

In some ways, Metro is very confusing and takes too many steps to achieve a simple task. The theme itself is very minimal, but except for the integrated hubs and functionalit, it is very hard to accomplish even simple tasks.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Save my post for 30 years and see how far off I was. The hardware is many years off. The interaction is not as far off. I mean a refrigerator door that is a clear LCD? We dont really even have any refrigerators with small LCD stuck to the door.[/QUOTE]

Not true they have freigerators with touch screens displays that you can keep rack of whats in it and make a shopping list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb